Tiebreakers, standings, broken protocols, winning percentages?

In discussing a possible Marlins-Giants wild card tie, Giants reporter Henry Schulman would be upset if the Marlins played less games than the Giants and got in over them because he says the Marlins blatantly broke protocols.

In another tweet he says the Cardinals didn't break protocols unlike the Marlins.

At least one Giants fan in the responses feels that if the Marlins miss any games they should count as losses as a punishment for broken protocols.

Someone said the Marlins could have only gotten positive tests by breaking protocols... so not sure how the Cardinals got it then since apparently they didn't beak protocols.

Someone said that going by winning percentage rewards the teams that broke protocols and thus it shouldn't go by winning percentage.

A few people have responded in defense of the Marlins... someone said the Giants are just looking for excuses in case they don't finish ahead of the Marlins... someone reminded Schulman that breaking protocols doesn't automatically mean positive covid tests, aka Giants player could have even broken protocols along the way themselves.

Hopefully the Marlins do play all 60 and this becomes a moot point but a lot to digest in this one... any thoughts?

18 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

In discussing a possible Marlins-Giants wild card tie, Giants reporter Henry Schulman would be upset if the Marlins played less games than the Giants and got in over them because he says the Marlins blatantly broke protocols.

In another tweet he says the Cardinals didn't break protocols unlike the Marlins.

At least one Giants fan in the responses feels that if the Marlins miss any games they should count as losses as a punishment for broken protocols.

Someone said the Marlins could have only gotten positive tests by breaking protocols... so not sure how the Cardinals got it then since apparently they didn't beak protocols.

Someone said that going by winning percentage rewards the teams that broke protocols and thus it shouldn't go by winning percentage.

A few people have responded in defense of the Marlins... someone said the Giants are just looking for excuses in case they don't finish ahead of the Marlins... someone reminded Schulman that breaking protocols doesn't automatically mean positive covid tests, aka Giants player could have even broken protocols along the way themselves.

Hopefully the Marlins do play all 60 and this becomes a moot point but a lot to digest in this one... any thoughts?

Shame on this guy, hunting for Bob Nightengale's job in plain sight like that!

• Haha 2

I’m confused why he even tweeted this when all 60 games are currently scheduled to be played. Maybe he’s concerned about a rainout happening but that would still be 59 if it can’t be made up. Seems like he’s just crying over nothing. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

I’m confused why he even tweeted this when all 60 games are currently scheduled to be played. Maybe he’s concerned about a rainout happening but that would still be 59 if it can’t be made up. Seems like he’s just crying over nothing. 

He's my friend that also coming from the future and knows everything …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, SonOfJack said:

It was in a response to a conversation and it just progressed to this, in another tweet he did say that he didn't think it would be an issue for the Marlins. He was more in doubt about the Cardinals being able to play 60.

1 minute ago, rmc523 said:

Was there ever even proof that Marlins players violated anything?

Nothing beyond not wearing masks around each other as often as they should. I'd imagine that essentially everyone on this planet has had this problem thus far. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Nothing beyond not wearing masks around each other as often as they should. I'd imagine that essentially everyone on this planet has had this problem thus far. 

You see this in every single dugout every single day, though.  Definitely not a Marlins-exclusive issue.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

In other words: No.

The answer to the question, "Did they violate the protocols?" is unequivocally no. The issue is that the protocols did not (at least initially) go far enough, and they also created a (now very evaporated) false sense of security.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SonOfJack said:

Plus there are only 8 games left that can be rained out and they could all be made up as doubleheaders the next day or an extra game the day after the season. The Giants still have 15 more games in stadiums w/o a roof so it is more likely that they miss a few games than the Marlins.

21 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Let's assume its true, that the Marlins did not follow protocol.  We lost nearly half our roster for two weeks because of it.  That alone is punishment enough. 

And we had to have Yamamoto start three games! That's more than enough punishment there!

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

Let's assume its true, that the Marlins did not follow protocol.  We lost nearly half our roster for two weeks because of it.  That alone is punishment enough. 

NO. I WANT TO BE ANGRY.

Seriously, though, that tweeter sounds like a BFD, but the D doesn't stand for deal.

• Like 1

It’s funny how if, for example, the Marlins will win the NL East this year most likely some of the sports media and of course fans of other teams will be using words like “‘Asterisk’, ‘Only because of the Shortened Season.’”

And if it was the Braves they would be like “Continued NL East Dominance” or the Phillies they will be like “JT and Bryce led the way to glory”. 😂

• Like 2
  • Banana 1

People are just dumb as fuck. There’s a bunch of people on reddit right now saying Donnie doesn’t deserve manager of the year because he let the team vote to play when they were all infected. It’s just maddening to read this shit. 

• Sad 1
  • Banana 1
17 minutes ago, GuitarPik said:

People are just dumb as fuck. There’s a bunch of people on reddit right now saying Donnie doesn’t deserve manager of the year because he let the team vote to play when they were all infected. It’s just maddening to read this shit. 

Hahaha. That’s why I just had to stop a few years ago reading a lot of fans discussions and even Sports opinion writers. I get annoyed sometimes when I read stuff written by people who don’t really have any idea what they are talking about. Which is like ~95% of them. Now a days I try just to stick to just Marlins news or rumors from guys like Craig Mish, Joe Frisaro, Barry Jackson, the classics. 😂

Edited by SirFishFan
  • Like 2
21 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Hahaha. That’s why I just had to stop a few years ago reading a lot of fans discussions and even Sports opinion writers. I get annoyed sometimes when I read stuff written by people who don’t really have any idea what they are talking about. Which is like ~95% of them. Now a days I try just to stick to just Marlins news or rumors from guys like Craig Mish, Joe Frisaro, Barry Jackson, the classics. 😂

Yeah but what's more annoying is that not everyone can ignore those stupidities like we can and too many people read the trash and think it's real. The "Marlins let their shortstop decide whether to play in Philly with multiple positive players" is a perfect example of a false report that way too many people believe to be true. 

• Like 1