9/17 Post Game Thread

Boston shouldn't have had at least 2 of those runs.  It was strike 3 on Palweki or however it's spelled, but the ump called it a ball (and later in the game decides to call balls even further out strikes against us).

We should have scored earlier in the game too when we hat 1st and 3rd with nobody out - to not come up with at least one there is terrible.

6 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

@Michael disagrees, but I think the Marlins win today's game with any manager besides Mattingly or Mike Matheny. 

I didn't catch the whole game, but I'm curious as to your take. I saw he pinch hit with alfaro, which knocked in some runs.

Just now, mystikol87 said:

I didn't catch the whole game, but I'm curious as to your take. I saw he pinch hit with alfaro, which knocked in some runs.

I agree on one point that Quezada shouldn't have been the first choice in the 7th.

However a few other things went into this loss, so I mean, 🤷‍♂️

Ureña not getting that strike 3 call in the 6th was huge especially when it got called later and on worse pitches.

If it stays 2-0 into bottom 7, Boston brings in better relievers and then we probably don't score there anyways.

A lot of dumb all around.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

Quezada should be a mop up reliever exclusively. A two-run deficit to a bad team is NOT a mop-up situation. Quezada had never pitched above Single-A and wasn't even that good in Single-A. He should only be used to save the bullpen for other games, he had no business pitching in this one. Especially so if Nick Neidert, who is a starter, was going to pitch today anyway. He is more than capable of going multiple innings and should have been the first one out of the bullpen if Mattingly wanted to avoid his "top guys" (whom'st, by the way, should not have been needed in a four-run game yesterday) Letting Sean Rodriguez bat in the bottom of the 9th wasn't a great move either, but that wasn't nearly as glaring as the Quezada disaster. 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

With no outs, runners on 3rd & 2nd, Dickerson should have been subbed for Brinson to make it a righty, lefty match-up.

Just bad execution overall.  Can't blame any one person.  (Maybe the Ump.)  I personally think Mattingly has been great this year.  

Lets see what happens with the Phils & Braves games. I'm not to worried about this loss, even though it feels like we gave hem the series. 

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
  • Like 1
28 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Quezada should be a mop up reliever exclusively. A two-run deficit to a bad team is NOT a mop-up situation. Quezada had never pitched above Single-A and wasn't even that good in Single-A. He should only be used to save the bullpen for other games, he had no business pitching in this one. Especially so if Nick Neidert, who is a starter, was going to pitch today anyway. He is more than capable of going multiple innings and should have been the first one out of the bullpen if Mattingly wanted to avoid his "top guys" (whom'st, by the way, should not have been needed in a four-run game yesterday) Letting Sean Rodriguez bat in the bottom of the 9th wasn't a great move either, but that wasn't nearly as glaring as the Quezada disaster. 

I would only agree to this if the game was tied or we had the lead.  Down two runs you have to rely on the middle end of your bullpen.  

Preserving the lead yesterday with our top bullpen pieces wasn't going to stop them from pitching if we had the lead today and yes it was absolutely the right call to use Box and Kinzler being up four runs. matter of fact Mattingly had to change pitchers with a threat and two outs in the 7th, bringing in Box.

You don't use top end bullpen, being down two or more runs when you have a series the next day.  

Edited by jeffreysfishfry
4 minutes ago, jeffreysfishfry said:

I would only agree to this if the game was tied or we had the lead.  Down two runs you have to rely on the middle end of your bullpen.  

Preserving the lead yesterday with our top bullpen pieces wasn't going to stop them from pitching if we had the lead today and yes it was absolutely the right call to use Box and Kinzler being up four runs. matter of fact Mattingly had to change pitchers with a threat and two outs in the 7th, bringing in Box.

You don't use top end bullpen, being down two or more runs when you have a series the next day.  

I agree that you don't use the top end of your bullpen. But you also don't use the worst guy out there. Neidert would have been the perfect in-between. Quezada is a mop up reliever. 2-0 does not need mopping, maybe just a paper towel. 

1 minute ago, SongInTheAir said:

I agree that you don't use the top end of your bullpen. But you also don't use the worst guy out there. Neidert would have been the perfect in-between. Quezada is a mop up reliever. 2-0 does not need mopping, maybe just a paper towel. 

I agree with that. 

1 hour ago, Vic D said:

Silver lining: if we're gonna lose a game/series, lose it to one of the AL East teams. In particular, any team not named Phillies and Braves.

Yea but damn gotta beat the teams who stink. This isn’t 2018 Boston. But I say if Marlins win 5-7 more games I think they can clinch a postseason spot. 

4 hours ago, canada-marlin24 said:

That call on the slider from Urena was bullshit but they had chances to score and didn't get it done. 

Yeah. 😞

That bottom of the 5th was the big moment that we all should look back on and say "dammit why did we not score ..."