Pizza

SonOfJack

53 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

Closest I’ve had to Detroit style is little caesars so I can’t comment lol

I heard recently that Pizza Hut is now selling Detroit style pizza and it seems to be really popular..

I actually never heard of Detroit pizza before, looks like they put pizza sauce on top of the pizza after it is cooked.

image.thumb.png.9cdb36390618a998b610416561c3efc9.png

I doubt I'll order one anytime soon, but I would definitely consider it, just to see what the fuss is about.

-Not a sponsored post.

Edited by SirFishFan

12 minutes ago, Das Texan said:

If you ever the chance to check out one of these: 

https://www.unos.com/

DO IT.  

Mmm.. looks good. Although it looks like in Florida they only have locations in Central Florida. They do ship a frozen pizza anywhere, but I’ll wait to see if I visit the Orlando area again one day, I’d like to check it out in person, if I can. 

Thanks for the advice!

2 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

There is a local chain in the Miami area called Rey Pizza, which is supposed to be Cuban style pizza. I must have passed by that place a hundred times in my life, at least, but have never eaten there.

Now you need to eat there so you can let us all know what it is

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Found this.....

it's actually about Rey's Pizza that was mentioned above.

https://miami.eater.com/2014/3/21/6257261/the-mystery-of-miamis-cuban-pizza-revealed

[quote]

If we leave out the toppings, a Cuban pizza is not much different than a traditional American-Italian one. At the end of the day, it's dough, it's sauce and it's cheese. Where a Cuban pizza differs, then, is in the details of its ingredients. For starters, the dough is more plump, which is usually what any Cuban pizza aficionado will tell you. In Rodriguez's case, it's because he leaves it out longer than usual to let it rise more. Next, he adds his secret ingredient: a specially-made sauce which, today, is specifically imported from California to meet the high demands of his chain. We asked him if he'd let us in on the ingredients. He respectfully declined.

Now here's where we really start to see the difference. A Cuban pizza uses not one, but two different types of cheese: mozzarella and Gouda. At Rey's Pizza, they pride themselves on using the best. While most average Joe pizza joints use mozzarella cheese made of part-skim milk, the mozzarella used at Rey's is made with whole milk. Their branded mozzarella is the reason why their pies have a greasy shine to them.

You may be wondering how Gouda, an import from Holland, got thrown into the mix. In Cuba, before the whole rationing system was put into place, it was a very commonly used cheese in multiple items, including the famed Cuban sandwich. At some point in history it got thrown onto pizza, thus differentiating the dish enough to claim a different title. The Gouda that Rey's uses comes in a round, head sized block that's directly imported from Holland.

The final component that differentiates a Cuban pizza is the way it's made. The toppings aren't sprinkled above the pie as they traditionally are; they're baked into it. Thus, you'll never suffer from drop bombed pepperoni or spilt sausage because there's a thick layer of cheese above that tightly holds it all together. The toppings used at Rey's are ones you are familiar with; think ham, chorizo, pepperoni, pineapple, onions and mushrooms, although he does throw in some Cuban curveballs like picadillo (ground beef), bananas and shrimp. At other local restaurants that serve the dish, like Polo Norte, you can find toppings like platanos maduros (fried green plantains) and lobster.

All of these elements- thick dough, a double overload of cheese, toppings baked into the pie- come together to make up what we know today as the Cuban pizza.

[/quote]

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SonOfJack said:

Now you need to eat there so you can let us all know what it is

Just reading this thread I have already so many pizzas I will have to try that I should make a list.

- Sir Pizza

- Uno Pizza

- Pizza Hut Detroit Pizza

- Rey Pizza.

And since I don’t order fast food all that often, it could take some time. 😂

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

There is a local chain in the Miami area called Rey Pizza, which is supposed to be Cuban style pizza. I must have passed by that place a hundred times in my life, at least, but have never eaten there.

image.png.d7e1598bf0f85a416b89a35dd0089d0c.png

Same for me, driven by it a hundred times, probably more than that.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

image.png.d7e1598bf0f85a416b89a35dd0089d0c.png

Same for me, driven by it a hundred times, probably more than that.

Get a better phone, that one you have takes really low quality small pics.

Though I'll give you credit for taking a pic while driving without it looking that way.

And then I will take away that credit for being an unsafe driver.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, SirFishFan said:

Just reading this thread I have already so many pizzas I will have to try that I should make a list.

- Sir Pizza

- Uno Pizza

- Rey Pizza.

Sir Pizza is gone from Marlins Park and Miami area

1 hour ago, SirFishFan said:

- Sir Pizza

- Uno Pizza

- Rey Pizza.

Forget Rey’s, you gotta go to Tio colo in Hialeah gardens and get a pizza (I do chorizo, ham and onion) and for desert a bocadito (best way to describe it would be different flavors of ice cream sandwiched between what is essentially really soft lady fingers dough) and an ironbeer to wash it down. If you aren’t already Cuban, that meal will do the trick. 

Edited by marlinsmaniac
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, marlinsmaniac said:

I was going to put a disclaimer for you and silver bullet to not try to find some hidden meaning there but I didn’t want to stray from the point I was making lol

Sorry. We are incapable of stopping. We see a post and we just have to find the hidden meaning. 

• Haha 2