Sign in to follow this  
SongInTheAir

Playoffs? .500? I'll Eat a Marlin if the Marlins Finish at .500.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not sure if you're joking but I feel like you are right. If they aren't mathematically eliminated then how can their chances be at 0.0%? Seems like that isn't logical.

Exactly, I am serious.

14 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

Not sure if you're joking but I feel like you are right. If they aren't mathematically eliminated then how can their chances be at 0.0%? Seems like that isn't logical.

It would be because it's rounded down.  If statistically their chances are <.05, then it's going to look like 0.0% due to rounding at the tenths.

Don't tell me the odds though

WS HERE WE COME! 

3 minutes ago, Undakai said:

It would be because it's rounded down.  If statistically their chances are <.05, then it's going to look like 0.0% due to rounding at the tenths.

Even rounding down it's misleading. Because 0.0 means completely nonexistent... even if it's less than .05 that's not zero. I know I'm just debating math terms at this point. Oh well.

• Like 1

One thing that seems to be lost with the "it doesn't matter if we win or lose" crowd is that just being competitive makes the team way more interesting to follow.  I have tickets tonight and tomorrow and am much more excited about going than I was a few weeks ago.  Most of you seem to think "playoffs or bust" and deride the Stanton era teams as being "below .500".  But those last few teams were in the WC hunt deep into the season and therefore were fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LHPMarlin said:

One thing that seems to be lost with the "it doesn't matter if we win or lose" crowd is that just being competitive makes the team way more interesting to follow.  I have tickets tonight and tomorrow and am much more excited about going than I was a few weeks ago.  Most of you seem to think "playoffs or bust" and deride the Stanton era teams as being "below .500".  But those last few teams were in the WC hunt deep into the season and therefore were fun to watch. 

But where does fun to watch get you when we still suck at the end of every season? 

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

But where does fun to watch get you when we still suck at the end of every season? 

I don't think that was his point.

I think he was intending it as a purely surface level comment, not something to imply we should've stuck with the old team.  I think he was just saying the team has been fun to watch lately, and that the old team was also fun with the players we had, and that it's nice to be able to watch an entertaining team again (while it lasts at least).

Just now, rmc523 said:

I don't think that was his point.

I think he was intending it as a purely surface level comment, not something to imply we should've stuck with the old team.  I think he was just saying the team has been fun to watch lately, and that the old team was also fun with the players we had, and that it's nice to be able to watch an entertaining team again (while it lasts at least).

I do agree with that much. I support the rebuild but I do actually anticipate and sit and watch more games when the team is playing well as opposed to when it feels like wins are harder to come by.

2 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I do agree with that much. I support the rebuild but I do actually anticipate and sit and watch more games when the team is playing well as opposed to when it feels like wins are harder to come by.

I haven't been able to watch as much lately because I've been busy, but I know I've wanted to tune in more lately, whereas I was indifferent when they weren't playing well (guess that makes me a borderline bandwagon fan eh?).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

(guess that makes me a borderline bandwagon fan eh?).

It's easy to say this but us hardcore fans can get away with not watching every game since we tend to still follow the stats and transactions and still read the articles and keep up to date. We can not watch a series and still know very well where everything stands.

• Love 1