Ballpark Naming Rights

12 minutes ago, Entendu said:

Why don't we just call it loanDepot park? Or the ballpark when referring to it casually? You know, normal shit.

Blasphemy!

off with his head GIF

• Like 1
2 hours ago, el_gmac said:

so bottom line you bastards are happy with whatever name as long the Marlins are pocketing from it ...interesting 

Is this supposed to be an insult?

Yes I like that my team now has revenue from naming rights and I want them to have the highest deal possible regardless of what the name is because the name doesn't matter, the value of the deal is what matters. 

1 hour ago, hovertical said:

taking a break while at work so i don't know if anyone else pointed this out on this thread or the game day one but did anyone else noticed that when a left handed batter was up, the placement of the umpire almost always makes it read "pot park" ?

Yep I noticed lol. This will attract a whole new demographic.

1 hour ago, Entendu said:

Why don't we just call it loanDepot park? Or the ballpark when referring to it casually? You know, normal shit.

Yea I was thinking the same thing. No need to force a nickname. If one comes naturally then fine but this is some millenial bs having to force nicknames on everything. 

33 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Am I the "he" in this? I didn't come up with El Depot. Though, I still think it's clever. Maybe it should be "el Depot" though?

whoever came up with it.....he/she/it.....doesn't really matter, I don't like it either way lol.

47 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

If one comes naturally then fine but this is some millenial bs having to force nicknames on everything. 

Haha! Not sure nicknames are a generational thing. I mean, "Lefty" Grove, "The Big Unit," "The Sultan of Swat," "Hammerin' Hank," "Stan the Man," "The House that Ruth Built," "The Green Monster," Donnie "Baseball," "The Big Hurt," "The Gashouse Gang," "The Friendly Confines," "The Ryan Express," "Goose" Gossage, "LOOGY," "dinger," a "grand slam" -- this sport is basically made out of nicknames, many being hundreds of years old. Or, maybe you meant "millenial" as in people who came of age in the 1890s to 1910s? 😂

Why can't we just call them like they are -- it's a four-run home run, not a "grand slam!" DanG MiLLenYUULLs!!!

season 13 GIF

12 minutes ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

Haha! Not sure nicknames are a generational thing. I mean, "Lefty" Grove, "The Big Unit," "The Sultan of Swat," "Hammerin' Hank," "Stan the Man," "The House that Ruth Built," "The Green Monster," Donnie "Baseball," "The Big Hurt," "The Gashouse Gang," "The Friendly Confines," "The Ryan Express," "Goose" Gossage, "LOOGY," "dinger," a "grand slam" -- this sport is basically made out of nicknames, many being hundreds of years old. Or, maybe you meant "millenial" as in people who came of age in the 1890s to 1910s? 😂

Why can't we just call them like they are -- it's a four-run home run, not a "grand slam!" DanG MiLLenYUULLs!!!

season 13 GIF

It's not about the nicknames it's about how they came about, organically. You don't just sit around and make a decision on what a nickname will be.

10 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

It's not about the nicknames it's about how they came about, organically. You don't just sit around and make a decision on what a nickname will be.

That's fair, but I'd wager that most of those previously mentioned nicknames started with a local baseball writer sitting at their typewriter, thinking, "Gee, what's a clever way to write 'home run' for the ten billionth time? I know! 'Tater.'"

Even most teams modern team names (Cubs, Yankees, White Sox, etc.) were initially nicknames given them by a contemporary local sportswriter.

Can’t wait til we have the Papa Slam by Brian Anderson presented by Publix over the Palacio de Los jugos Left Field wall into the Jager bomb ballpark seats.