Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ballpark Naming Rights

Featured Replies

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I've ONLY known them as a gym.  Had zero clue that they had casinos.

I think they're a different company actually. Could be wrong.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I think they're a different company actually. Could be wrong.

Apparently the gyms are all closed but there is some connection between the casinos and the company that had the gyms. Did a quick search and it was a little unclear. 

4 hours ago, Photo-Realistic Billy said:

I don't follow.

During their project wolverine presentation to MLB and prospective minority owners they had crazy amounts they felt those two rights deals were worth and they felt would help return substantial value from their 1.2 billion investment 

3 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

During their project wolverine presentation to MLB and prospective minority owners they had crazy amounts they felt those two rights deals were worth and they felt would help return substantial value from their 1.2 billion investment 

Project Wolverine said new TV deal worth $52 million in 2021 

Rumors have it around that number.

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

With how they can update games these days, though, they could probably push out an update with the new name if they desired.

I don't see how this is relevant or even a thing?

1) we don't know the final terms of either deal

2) If either deal (probably more the naming rights than tv) weren't something they were happy with, I'd assume they wouldn't sign a deal.

3) There's been general concern that the TV rights bubble will burst, and if, as has been rumored, we bettered the previous group's arranged 50M/year deal, that's good, especially if it's a shorter term deal, where things can be renegotiated as the team does better, and/or explore other options like streaming.

 

As for naming rights, as I said above, it's been nearly 9 years now (wow, crazy that it's already been that long) without a naming rights deal.  They could've kept without one, but got something they liked.  The TV deal they're more limited.

 

 

I've ONLY known them as a gym.  Had zero clue that they had casinos.

Problem is everyone is pointing to the 2004/2005 TV deal agreement they took less on to get a $30 million upfront payment to sign free agents (like Delgado). Samson had already negotiated a tv rig it a deal and just had to be signed in 2017, but jeter asked he not sign it as “he could do better”. 
 

The Marlins had no leverage in 2004 for a deal, and took that large sum up front at Lorias request. In 2017 I’m sure it was a fair deal, and I’m curious to find out if jeter bettered it- or tied in the naming rights to make it seem better. 
 

teams are hemorrhaging money and Mlb won’t let a team stay off the air like the dodgers have or the expos of the past. Jeter had to take a deal. Wont surprise me to see it’s a few million more a year then average but it has the ballpark included in it. 
 

and yeah, to whomever said Bally’s gyms and casinos are different companies- they are but owned by the same people w the same logos/ branding .

1 hour ago, SilverBullet said:

Apparently the gyms are all closed but there is some connection between the casinos and the company that had the gyms. Did a quick search and it was a little unclear. 

Either way, they have identical "Bally's" logos.

8 minutes ago, Piazza31 said:

Problem is everyone is pointing to the 2004/2005 TV deal agreement they took less on to get a $30 million upfront payment to sign free agents (like Delgado). Samson had already negotiated a tv rig it a deal and just had to be signed in 2017, but jeter asked he not sign it as “he could do better”. 
 

The Marlins had no leverage in 2004 for a deal, and took that large sum up front at Lorias request. In 2017 I’m sure it was a fair deal, and I’m curious to find out if jeter bettered it- or tied in the naming rights to make it seem better. 
 

teams are hemorrhaging money and Mlb won’t let a team stay off the air like the dodgers have or the expos of the past. Jeter had to take a deal. Wont surprise me to see it’s a few million more a year then average but it has the ballpark included in it. 
 

and yeah, to whomever said Bally’s gyms and casinos are different companies- they are but owned by the same people w the same logos/ branding .

Yeah, they took a bad deal to get more money early.  Not sure how they wouldn't have had some leverage coming off a World Series win.

If this is short term, it'll be fine.  If it's 50M/year for another 20 years, that's not good, as we'll likely be in the same boat as now.

Also, regarding the Samson-negotiated 50M - again, consider the source - hard to fully believe him.....for all we know it could've been 50M in the last year of some lengthy deal.

Edited by rmc523

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

It's LoanDepot Park, which is terrible. 

So are we going to keep calling it Marlins Park or Ocean Bank Stadium?

1 minute ago, FishFan95 said:

So are we going to keep calling it Marlins Park or Ocean Bank Stadium?

I'm going to call it Alone Depot because Marlins attendance bad lolololol get it?

10 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

It's LoanDepot Park, which is terrible. 

 

You're kidding right?

4 minutes ago, SonOfJack said:

 

 

That's horrid.  Not only have I never heard of it, it just sounds ridiculous.  This equals Guaranteed Rate park or whatever the White Sox place is called now.

"The Depot" sounds good if it catches on...

 

But the Marlins can't have nice things so I expect alot of "guess this cheap team needed a loan"...

1 minute ago, Major-Minor said:

"The Depot" sounds good if it catches on...

 

But the Marlins can't have nice things so I expect alot of "guess this cheap team needed a loan"...

I mean......even I thought that lol.

1 minute ago, Major-Minor said:

"The Depot" sounds good if it catches on...

 

But the Marlins can't have nice things so I expect alot of "guess this cheap team needed a loan"...

Very good point. The Depot doesn't sound bad at all.

That name sucks but who cares. Kinda curious why it's such a seemingly random company on the other side of the country though. Couldn't find anything more local or any bigger company? Man I hope they're getting good money from this regardless. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.