Don Mattingly Admits The Marlins Roster Is Poorly Put Together

FPGo-scWQAULWi0?format=jpg&name=large

imagine a contractor saying, "when you build a house this way, you know you’re going to have some deficiencies in certain areas," and then the house falls apart, or a CEO saying, "when you build a business this way, you know you’re going to have some deficiencies in certain areas” and then the business goes bankrupt.

How is this okay?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Best case scenario here is:

-Mattingly goes harder against the roster construction.

-Ng actually listens to the manager that is on the field every day with the team and acquires a good center fielder.

-Someone else up top (or maybe Ng herself) gets mad at Don for talking shit.

-Don gets fired.

-Marlins get a center fielder and a new manager.

-Marlins win 160 games.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

Ng actually listens to the manager that is on the field every day with the team and acquires a good center fielder.

I know you were going for humor but FWIW I don't think Ng disagrees with Donnie. Both Ng and Sherman said they needed a CF so that's not the issue. The issue is failure to get the job done but it's not out of ignorance.

22 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I know you were going for humor but FWIW I don't think Ng disagrees with Donnie. Both Ng and Sherman said they needed a CF so that's not the issue. The issue is failure to get the job done but it's not out of ignorance.

They know they need to add a CF but not enough to actually do it. I mean, Mish source so take it with an ocean of salt, but if the asking price for Reynolds is what he reported, then we massively screwed up by not accepting the deal. I mean...I would call the Pirates, say, "ahoy, take any two players in our system not projected to be in our Opening Day starting lineup, then two more guys outside of our top 10" and still think I got the better end of the deal. Bryan Reynolds is one of the best center fielders in baseball, and he is under team control for four more years. The Marlins seem to think trading Isan Diaz and Anthony Bass is going to get them one of the guys with the most trade value in baseball. 

Edited by SongInTheAir
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

They know they need to add a CF but not enough to actually do it.

You can want something but not be comfortable with the price for it.

I would love/need a new car right now but I'm not comfortable with the financial commitment right now and for me it's best to wait a bit on this big purchase. And eventually I'll need to go for it and get that new car out of necessity but I haven't done so yet. Same concept.

3 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

I would love/need a new car right now but I'm not comfortable with the financial commitment right now and for me it's best to wait a bit on this big purchase. And eventually I'll need to go for it and get that new car out of necessity but I haven't done so yet. Same concept.

Whyyyyyyyy do longtime Marlin fans keep giving them the benefit of the doubt

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iowa said:

Whyyyyyyyy do longtime Marlin fans keep giving them the benefit of the doubt

It's not benefit of the doubt. Do you think Bruce Sherman and Kim Ng WANT to lose? I'm saying they want that CF but have been incompetent as far as getting it done. They've absolutely failed at that. But do you really think they're sitting around saying they don't think they need the CF and that they want to lose? That's stupid. No owner or GM wants to lose. 

21 minutes ago, SilverBullet said:

If I offered you an Alfa Romeo that I had driven once in exchange for 4 brand new cars that might be Hondas, might be Lexuses, or might explode and never be driven, wouldn't you take the deal?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SongInTheAir said:

If I offered you an Alfa Romeo that I had driven once in exchange for 4 brand new cars that might be Hondas, might be Lexuses, or might explode and never be driven, wouldn't you take the deal?

Hey, I said they're failing at this. They've shown incompetence in getting this done. I'm not denying that.

Blow it all out.

Laureano, Montas, Kemp, and Trivino....

Eury
Meyer/Cabrera
Bleday/Burdick
Sixto/Eder/Salas
Morisette/Jerar/Fitterer
DLC/Berti (or both!)
Outside top 25
Outside top 35

Just blow it all out.

Give them effectively four top 100 guys (a little mental gymnastics to get obviously Bleday and injured Sixto/Eder or Fangraphs 109 Salas in there, but it's close enough). Montas is probably worth 2 centerpieces, and Laureano 1 + an injured one as he has some warts, so this gets you there. Maybe player 5 is a little better (I. Lewis, etc.). They gotta sacrifice Eury instead of Watson, and keep one of Cabrera/Meyer for now.

Blow it all out. Do it. Believe in your pitching and go kill people with Montas and Laureano. These 4 guys could be 10+ WAR based on last year's rates. I'll settle for 6+.

BELIEVE. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MarlinsLou said:

Blow it all out.

Laureano, Montas, Kemp, and Trivino....

Eury
Meyer/Cabrera
Bleday/Burdick
Sixto/Eder/Salas
Morisette/Jerar/Fitterer
DLC/Berti (or both!)
Outside top 25
Outside top 35

Just blow it all out.

Give them effectively four top 100 guys (a little mental gymnastics to get obviously Bleday and injured Sixto/Eder or Fangraphs 109 Salas in there, but it's close enough). Montas is probably worth 2 centerpieces, and Laureano 1 + an injured one as he has some warts, so this gets you there. Maybe player 5 is a little better (I. Lewis, etc.). They gotta sacrifice Eury instead of Watson, and keep one of Cabrera/Meyer for now.

Blow it all out. Do it. Believe in your pitching and go kill people with Montas and Laureano. These 4 guys could be 10+ WAR based on last year's rates. I'll settle for 6+.

BELIEVE. 

Nope.

• Like 1

That team is insanity:

Stallings, Henry
Aguilar, Cooper
Jazz
Rojas, Wendle
Anderson
Sanchez, Kemp
Laureano
Garcia
Soler

Sandy, Rogers, Montas, Pablo, Luzardo
Floro, Bender, Trivino, Hernandez, Pop, Head 
Bleier, Okert

Just go murder people with that please. Three starting caliber players on the bench. Hernandez, Cabrera/Meyer, and Poteet are the 6-7-8 starters. Everyone coming back next year except really Aguilar (Lewin) and Floro (plenty of arms).

I will survive with the top 10 prospects in the farm being Watson, Meyer/Cabrera, Bleday/Burdick, Sixto/Eder, Fulton, Salas/Lewis, Mack, Cappe, McCambley, and VMJR. I'm ignoring excellent 2022 draft picks.

• Like 2