The Fire Kim Ng Thread

3 minutes ago, Valid said:

I also think we need more guys who take walks.

This team ranks 20th in OBP. It's not as bad as I thought we would be going into the year, but it's obviously still not ideal for us if we seriously want to contend going forward.

- Burger has been great with a .356 OBP since coming here, but he is a lifetime .309 OBP guy so I expect him to regress a bit next season.

- Arraez almost certainly won't hit over .350 again.

- Sanchez takes some walks but he is too streaky and Jazz doesn't really walk much at all. 

- The fact that Soler is starting to develop the reputation as an every other year guy also kind of scares me.

- I like DLC, but unless the rest of the lineup is really good, he should be a fourth OF.

There are definitely more pieces in place here than there were a year ago, but the offense still needs some obvious work, especially considering that both Soler and Bell can opt out. If we lose both of them we are kind of back to square one with not having enough power in the lineup. It would basically just be Burger and not much else.

Burger was never a full time starter until Miami and everything in his profile says he can be a mid 300 OBP guy. all signs point to this being the player burger is.

Agree DLC is a 4th of (.3 WAR) at best and shouldn’t be starting.

Soler won’t be here next year 🥺

jesus is prob a platoon guy as you say 

If jazz got his ks to 22% he’d be a superstar. Big If. But jazz hasn’t come near his ceiling yet 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SilverBullet said:

Absolutely. A lot of work to be done going into next year. She's gonna have to be real creative with the rotation.

Maybe she’ll be forced to finally address it this year 

2 hours ago, pollythewog said:

If Sandy needs TJ would be nice if they do it now so possibly get him back after ASG

Agreed

Edited by rmc523

3 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Burger was never a full time starter until Miami and everything in his profile says he can be a mid 300 OBP guy. all signs point to this being the player burger is.

Agree DLC is a 4th of (.3 WAR) at best and shouldn’t be starting.

Soler won’t be here next year 🥺

jesus is prob a platoon guy as you say 

If jazz got his ks to 22% he’d be a superstar. Big If. But jazz hasn’t come near his ceiling yet 

Yep. I've been pleasantly surprised with Whopper since he came over. I had my doubts but he seems to actually love playing for the Fish and he's somehow.....not slow?

Soler will likely be gone to some moron team willing to pay him a small fortune

Like you said, if Jazz ever got his shit together that would go a LONG way into helping this offense out. 

DLC has slowly improved year over year he's been here?  His production kinda reminds me of Cody Ross as when he's hot he's crazy good but then when he's off...man he sucks....He's still improved each year he's been here though so he wouldn't be the worst OF option if he was down further in the lineup.  His cold stretches haven't been AS bad

They need speed and contact and Skip needs to let them STEAL BASES next season. There was no excuse to not do so this year. I don't get why they simply didn't put guys in motion to avoid double plays more often either. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, hovertical said:

Yep. I've been pleasantly surprised with Whopper since he came over. I had my doubts but he seems to actually love playing for the Fish and he's somehow.....not slow?

Soler will likely be gone to some moron team willing to pay him a small fortune

Like you said, if Jazz ever got his shit together that would go a LONG way into helping this offense out. 

DLC has slowly improved year over year he's been here?  His production kinda reminds me of Cody Ross as when he's hot he's crazy good but then when he's off...man he sucks....He's still improved each year he's been here though so he wouldn't be the worst OF option if he was down further in the lineup.  His cold stretches haven't been AS bad

They need speed and contact and Skip needs to let them STEAL BASES next season. There was no excuse to not do so this year. I don't get why they simply didn't put guys in motion to avoid double plays more often either. 

Cody Ross was an .800 OPS type of guy here for three years and was also an awesome outfielder. I like DLC but he isn't as good as Cody was. As streaky as Cody was, he was definitely more consistent.

Prime Cody Ross would actually be great on this team, to be honest.

Edited by Valid
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Valid said:

Cody Ross was an .800 OPS type of guy here for three years and was also an awesome outfielder. I like DLC but he isn't as good as Cody was. As streaky as Cody was, he was definitely more consistent.

Prime Cody Ross would actually be great on this team, to be honest.

yeah DLCs defense sucks. I was talking only about his bat. 

i still say DLC is similar with his bat. I didn't say identical but yeah he's similar because when's he on....he absolutely rakes with power.  But yes, he's not AS consistent.  I still have seen improvement with him year over year and he's not the worst option to have down in a lineup.  There are other areas of greater need.

Also, do we think they release Avi this offseason or do we all fully expect to see him on the team once again?

32 minutes ago, hovertical said:

yeah DLCs defense sucks. I was talking only about his bat. 

i still say DLC is similar with his bat. I didn't say identical but yeah he's similar because when's he on....he absolutely rakes with power.  But yes, he's not AS consistent.  I still have seen improvement with him year over year and he's not the worst option to have down in a lineup.  There are other areas of greater need.

Also, do we think they release Avi this offseason or do we all fully expect to see him on the team once again?

I'm fine with him in the lineup so long as the Marlins actually go out and get some better hitters. You can hide him in a good lineup. It's not like he's terrible or anything. But when he's expected to be one of your top four or five hitters like this year, you really see his warts.

38 minutes ago, pollythewog said:

Pretty bad FA market next year. Maybe sign belt to play 1b, bell DH, they need a better OFer but not sure who via FA at least 

As far as OF, you have guys like Teoscar Hernandez, Lourdes Gurriel and Cody Bellinger. Not sure if any of them are realistic targets, though.

Hopefully they don't do a typical Marlins thing and take a flier on David Peralta or Jesse Winker. That's definitely something they would usually do.

I could definitely see them going for a middle ground option like Tommy Pham.

Edited by Valid

8 minutes ago, Valid said:

As far as OF, you have guys like Teoscar Hernandez, Lourdes Gurriel and Cody Bellinger. Not sure if any of them are realistic targets, though.

Hopefully they don't do a typical Marlins thing and take a flier on David Peralta or Jesse Winker. That's definitely something they would usually do.

I could definitely see them going for a middle ground option like Tommy Pham.

I'd be super leery of signing Bellinger considering he has been bad for multiple years in a row before weirdly having a fantastic season this year - had the Marlins signed him last offseason we know damn well he wouldn't have had this type of season lol.

Might be a trade but I'm not sure who we could trade that would have value as our farm system is kinda shitty.

I'd like to think they break camp next year with Edwards in the lineup to give some speed/contact at least.  If they can get him going he'd be ideal as a leadoff guy and that would really help lengthen the lineup. 

• Like 1

man, Pablo killed it this year for the Twins (234 k's and 1.15 whip!!)! I just went took a peek at his final numbers on the year.  Good for him! It would be nice to have him in the rotation right now but we'd also probably be 20 games under .500 had Arraez not been in the lineup lol.  I might be exaggerating but I firmly believe they'd be at LEAST 10-15 games under .500 without Arraez in that lineup. 

Both sides got what they wanted in this deal.  Twins had a legit ace and the Marlins got someone who can actually get hits regularly. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I'd be super leery of signing Bellinger considering he has been bad for multiple years in a row before weirdly having a fantastic season this year - had the Marlins signed him last offseason we know damn well he wouldn't have had this type of season lol.

Might be a trade but I'm not sure who we could trade that would have value as our farm system is kinda shitty.

I'd like to think they break camp next year with Edwards in the lineup to give some speed/contact at least.  If they can get him going he'd be ideal as a leadoff guy and that would really help lengthen the lineup. 

Yeah I agree on Bellinger. I was just saying he is one of the better OF targets out there, which shows how weak this free agent class is for outfielders. Hernandez and Gurriel are probably the two best guys and even they're just okay.

Kim is definitely going to have to pull a trade or two out of her hat, and I trust her in that area.

Edited by Valid

2 minutes ago, Valid said:

Yeah I agree on Bellinger. I was just saying he is one of the better OF targets out there, which shows how weak this free agent class is for outfielders. Hernandez and Gurriel are probably the two best guys and even they're just okay.

Kim is definitely going to have to pull a trade or two out of her hat, and I trust her in that area.

i could see her going for Teoscar  if Soler opts out although both players are kinda similar production wise.  I'll be honest though, I don't know much about Teoscar's defense

3 hours ago, hovertical said:

Liked for correct usage of leery instead of weary.

• Like 1