2023-2024 Free Agents

If we are serious about winning we should put in a competitive bid for Jung-hoo Lee and Yoshinobut Yamamato.  Make it competitive and the Marlins can become worldwide.

The only other free agents we should be bidding for are Julio Urias (likely won't get) and Jordan Hicks (feasible).  Kiner-Falefa at SS if he is afforadable.

Everything else is a pipe dream (Ohtani) or a bad contract (over 30).

If Kim gets one or both of these she should run for President.

Mr. Sherman step up, you could become Mr. Worldwide (no apologies, to Mr. Perez).  

Every egg should be in these two baskets.  That and investing in the academies will create generational change.  Marlins will win, Sherman gets rich.  Let's go fish.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, enterthemadness said:

Wait, so Bell and Soler are leaving after season?

Burger is under contract at least. 

Well, honestly Soler is probably staying.

Soler and Bell both have player options for next season, so it's possible/likely they leave in search of longer deals.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Soler and Bell both have player options for next season, so it's possible/likely they leave in search of longer deals.

Soler might opt out.  Bell will probably not.  Best bet is to try and do short extensions for both.

Here's the deal though.  We have two black holes with no sure fixes in the minors.  SS and C should be our top priorities.  Even if Bell and/or Soler leave, we have options.  For example we have Troy Johnston ready to come up.  We could also move Arraez to first (not my first choice) and bring Edward's up to play 2nd. 

I think our top FA targets should be Mitch Garver and Tom Murphy in that order. Our only hope at a future catcher in the minors is Banfield but his bat is far from a sure thing. If we sign Garver to a 4 year deal, his bat can also play at 1st base in 2025 if Bell has to be replaced.  Murphy will cost less than Garver.  He can always become the backup if Banfield becomes a viable option. 

There aren't any great SS free agents in 23/24 FA class. That would have to be addressed with a trade.  Of course, we can just sign a temporary option with a good glove like IKF and let Amaya battle him for the position.   Defense should be the priority there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rydawg said:

Soler might opt out.  Bell will probably not.  Best bet is to try and do short extensions for both.

Here's the deal though.  We have two black holes with no sure fixes in the minors.  SS and C should be our top priorities.  Even if Bell and/or Soler leave, we have options.  For example we have Troy Johnston ready to come up.  We could also move Arraez to first (not my first choice) and bring Edward's up to play 2nd. 

I think our top FA targets should be Mitch Garver and Tom Murphy in that order. Our only hope at a future catcher in the minors is Banfield but his bat is far from a sure thing. If we sign Garver to a 4 year deal, his bat can also play at 1st base in 2025 if Bell has to be replaced.  Murphy will cost less than Garver.  He can always become the backup if Banfield becomes a viable option. 

There aren't any great SS free agents in 23/24 FA class. That would have to be addressed with a trade.  Of course, we can just sign a temporary option with a good glove like IKF and let Amaya battle him for the position.   Defense should be the priority there.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I think Bell will gladly trigger his player option as even if he opts out I doubt he'll find a bigger payday out there. Soler will likely opt out but I still believe there's a "decent" chance he doesn't unless he really tears it up from here on out. I'd say maybe 25% chance Soler stays currently. Probably close to 95% Bell takes his player option and stays.

2 minutes ago, hovertical said:

I think Bell will gladly trigger his player option as even if he opts out I doubt he'll find a bigger payday out there. Soler will likely opt out but I still believe there's a "decent" chance he doesn't unless he really tears it up from here on out. I'd say maybe 25% chance Soler stays currently. Probably close to 95% Bell takes his player option and stays.

Soler has said he likes it here and would probably be Ok with staying.  Maybe they can restructure the contract to keep him here?

1 hour ago, pollythewog said:

A solid sp3/4 rhp should be in the list 

I still think that's more wish list, while SS and C are core necessities. A solid right-handed starter would be excellent, I just expect Ng to have a limited budget and that we'll likely always have to hope for seasons where most things break right in order to have a shot at or make the playoffs.

15 minutes ago, mystikol87 said:

I still think that's more wish list, while SS and C are core necessities. A solid right-handed starter would be excellent, I just expect Ng to have a limited budget and that we'll likely always have to hope for seasons where most things break right in order to have a shot at or make the playoffs.

They’re paying cueto and avi like $22m next year 😑

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, mystikol87 said:

Yeah, and we will have plenty of options next season. 

Alcantara/Luzardo/Garrett/Perez/Rogers/Cabrera/Meyers/Weathers/Monteverde 

Alcantara, Luzardo, and Garrett shouldn't have any restrictions next year. The rest of them will most likely have innings restrictions, but there are 6 of them.  You mix and match them between relief and rotation to mange those innings. Maybe sign another Cueto type?  Definitely not a priority. 

3 minutes ago, Rydawg said:

Yeah, and we will have plenty of options next season. 

Alcantara/Luzardo/Garrett/Perez/Rogers/Cabrera/Meyers/Weathers/Monteverde 

Alcantara, Luzardo, and Garrett shouldn't have any restrictions next year. The rest of them will most likely have innings restrictions, but there are 6 of them.  You mix and match them between relief and rotation to mange those innings. Maybe sign another Cueto type?  Definitely not a priority. 

I'd argue that it should ALWAYS be a priority to sign one vet innings type guy. At worst he gets moved to the bullpen at some point. At best, he becomes "that guy" who helps you bridge injuries, innings limits, etc.  and if you're shitty come ASG time then you trade him if he's been doing ok.

• Like 1