Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

SomethingFishy

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by SomethingFishy

  1. That's my point the whole time. The job of the 1st and 2nd hitters is to become a catalyst-- a table setter for guys like Stanton to drive them in. That's why in the case of RISP, SLG is way more important than OBP. For a guy with prodigious power like Stanton, slugging under .500 with RISP is unacceptable. Agree 100 percent!!!!! Let the little guys walk all day. The opposing team will love for Stanton to walk 4 times a night. Joe Maddon wil tell you the same.. Best manager in the MLB.
  2. So if there's a guy on 2nd with 2 outs and the pitcher throws a hitter four garbage pitches in the dirt, he's supposed to swing at them even though it's likely that he's going to make an out on such a pitch? I would let Vladimir Guerrero answer that question for me but he is too busy counting all the RBI he got from slamming pitches that were 10 inches off the plate or around his ankles.
  3. Looking at the MLB as a whole doesn't it seem like the Marlins players are much less athletic and seem much smaller than most other teams? Our biggest beefcake player is Stanton an he is always injured with some different thing. Then we have guys like Brantly and hecheverria and Steve cishek and all these little skinny guys that are just injures waiting to happen. And guys like Greg dobbs look like they could be a shoe salesman. If you saw him at Publix shopping you would never guess he was a professional athlete. Doesn't it seem like maybe the strength and conditioning staff should be working with these guys to get bigger arms and more chiseled? Some of our players look like they could e playing in a softball league with a bunch of beer truck drivers and stock clerks. It's kind of concerning. The only players I see with good bodies are Ozuna, Solano, Ruggiano, and maybe Logan Morrison and Stanton. The rest look so out of shape and its a concern big time to me. Especially some pitchers like Kevin slowey and his skinny arms and chicken legs. Pitchers need big meaty thighs to drive the ball toward the plate and his look like they will snap with a wrong step.
  4. He's better than Olivo. And he's light speed ahead of Brantly. So he can teach him a thing or two except how to swing the stick.
  5. I just believe that if you tend to be more aggressive at the plate, you're going to put the ball IN PLAY more often. Please explain why putting the ball in play more often will result in more line drives as opposed to fly balls or ground balls. Neither you or Anonymous have been able to answer this. It's pretty easy for you to delete the rest of my post. I suggested that Coghlan has always had a knack for making contact. But there is a difference between simply getting the bat on the ball and squaring up on the ball and swinging with a line drive plane through the ball. The more aggressive you are, the more contact you're making, eventually you're going to start making GOOD contact on the ball (good = LINE DRIVES). As anonymous said, I'm going to bow out here as I guess it's just difficult to explain our opinions without BABlahblah stats. If you watch baseball, played baseball, I feel like you should have some kind of a grasp of what we're trying explain, at the very least. Glad to see that some people are able to talk here without using some obscure stat that doesn't really tell you ANYTHING about a player's abilities.
  6. Stanton cannot hit with RISP. I like that he hits bombs, but he is not a prototypical run producer. He has a career .864 .OPS with runners in scoring position......with a .251 AVG. those type of numbers will keep him from being a perennial 100 RBI guy. Ozuna, although not as dynamic a player, seems like the type that will put the ball in play and produce w guys on base. He's a prototypical cleanup guy. I haven't seen anyone on this team as clutch since Miggy. Not Ozuna will be Miggy, but he just fits that mold a player than Stanton. That's the difference between a guy like Votto and Miggy. Though both are great hitters, Votto is looking more to just get on base with RISP while Cabrera is looking to drive in the run. You guys remember the IBB hit from Cabrera when he was a Marlin that scored Hanley? That play kinda sums up the type of hitter Cabs is. Votto has had over 100 RBI's twice and would've done it for a third consecutive year last year had he stayed healthy. If that's your reasoning for Stanton never reaching 100 RBI's, it's not a good one. A player shouldn't be evaluated solely on the amount of RBI's he has. Votto will put the ball in play and also hits for average in those situations, so 100+ RBI is inevitable for him a full season. I'm just saying that Cabrera is more aggressive at the plate in those situations, which I think values a team more. YES YES YES YES YES a million zillion trillion times YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! A walk with a runner at second with 2 outs is as useful as diarea on prom night!!!!!!
  7. Ozuna is a monster in the making. Stanton is a monster but he is a monster that is always locked up in chains behind a castle wall where he can't terrorize the kingdom and to me that is a very useless monster. My biggest fear is that he stays here a few more years and never ever plays a full season and when we do get around to trading him he will be looks at as a injury prone high risk player not worth more than one good prospect and he will suddenly turn it on when he skips town. I thought Hanley would do the same thing but he isn't winning any batting titles in LA right now and he sucked last year in his time with them.
  8. Mathis the best defensive catcher in the game?lol!!!! I said one of the best. Open your eyes. And YES.
  9. Stanton is a beefcake so I just don't understand how he is always hurt. And it's always something different so there's a chance he just doesn't want to play. He is a monster but if he doesn't want to be here then bye bye monster. Send him to the AL though because he will terrorize us when he decides to stop goi g on the DL.
  10. voters arent stupid. they just choose not to reward someone for injecting bull testosterone into his ass. he was playing a hall of fame career before that. it was quite clear he didn't have natural 70 home run power. he barely had 40 home run power without enhancements What about all the pitchers using steroids at the time or why about all the players who used peds that were aaaa career players it isn't pixxie dust that makes you fly for crying out loud. Bonds should be in the hall of fame no doubt. You will argue with everything i say and probably feel the same way but want to annoy me. Also it has never been PROVEN that bonds used steroids. Race factors in too big time if he was white nobody would question how great he is.
  11. Barry Bonds also led the league in walks. I guess he was a worthless player. No dont put words on my mouth. Barry bonds is probably the 5th or 6th best player of all time and he just happened to walk alot and it's a shame that he won't be in the hall of fame because voters are stupid. Half of his walks are intentional he had no choice.
  12. And don't look now... But the wins are coming just like I said they would. It's only going to get better from here so I hope you have your seatbelt a fasten.
  13. All kidding aside, I think our 1B have hit two HR's all year. Dobbs has one and Mahoney has one. I can't think of another one... That is a reason for concern. We definitely need better power than that from first base. That is one of the positions that you EXPECT to get power from. Along with the corner outfielders and third base. I hope Morrison can provide better production then that. Dobbs is so bad and Mahoney was Majoney before he was hurt.
  14. I am enjoying this troll of trolls. You are the troll. I bet you even have orange hair that sticks up straight just like Don King. Why don't you stop bothering me?
  15. Brown or Lucas isn't a choice? As much as I hate to say it looks Mathis is going to stay! He'll be catching the youngsters Mathis hits fine to be batting 8th so as long as he provides the defense he does then I don't want to see him go. Brantly needs to be schooled on how to play the position and Mathis is one of the best defensive catchers in the game maybe even the best. So as long as he hits 8th I'm fine with him. The one who really needs to pick it up with the bat is hecheverria because I compare him to Ozzie smith but right now he is more like Try Ordonez.
  16. Who would be platoon at third base if he can't hit lefties? Isn't Francisco right handed batting? All of our 3b options can't hit against lefties.
  17. They are confusing aggression, power, contact, patience and....baseball. You are the troll on this board I can see why you got banned before. You and your BFF penguino just have to bash everything the real posters say.
  18. The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time. I don't understand how you, Wild Card, and Anon can possibly believe this nonsense. Joey Votto has the highest walk rate in baseball and yet he also has the second highest line drive rate. Being more aggressive at the plate does nothing to produce a higher line drive percentage. Or vice versa. That's purely retarded thinking.Yeah and that is the second time you have called me a retarded since I started posting. You need to watch out how you talk to people. If you don't like my opinions then say you disagree but you don't need to start saying me and other posters are retarded for why we say. You think your so smart but I can tell by how you type that your not. So whatever I'm done even talking to you. Your attitude smells like rotten eggs. And there is proof that being less aggressive leads to lower line drive rates. Look at Vladimir Guerrero and Andre Dawson as prime examples of why your THEIRY is wrong. You can take that to the bank.
  19. The more you walk, the less you hit. The more aggressive your swings are the more line drives you hit and home runs. The more you walk the less aggressive your swings are. Can't have it both ways and I prefer line drives for sure. Coghlan should play third base like I have been saying all this time.
  20. I get banned for posting s*** once but this guy posts it over and over and nothing. Have I said something to offend you? Why would you want me to be banned? Isn't this a forum about marlins baseball? Chill out bro.
  21. I think the Marlins should give the Braves a little something for Francisco. The Marlins need to find some guys that can drive the ball. Francisco has more than enough power to hit the ball out of Marlins' Park. The Braves aren't going to lose Francisco on waivers, they are going to trade him. Maybe they'd like Ruggiano and Ryan Webb. We won't need Ruggiano soon and he could be a good 4th outfielder or platoon with upton. We don't really need Ryan Webb. Not that I want Francisco so I wouldn't want to give up more than that. I'm curious why some of you would want this guy he is a career 254 hitter and for you people who like ops it is only 730 so what is it that you like about him he isn't really young either.
  22. Polanco and Pierre both suck and are useless. My grandmother has a better arm than Pierre at this point. Homer Simpson could hit a ball to the outfield at him and end up at third base. Polanco is not a good defender anymore and is a terrible hitter. Plus he costs the team extra money since they have to order special batting helmets to fit on his giant ugly head. Mathis is here to show Brantly how to play defense but I hope Brantly isn't taking notes from him on how to hit. If all 3 go that is fine but ateast Pierre and beach ball head polanco.
  23. I've kind of had enough of Stanton being injured all the time also. We need his big bat in the lineup not on the DL for half the year each season. We could get a boatload for him even when he's injured so maybe we should trade him cause we may not get a full season out of the guy before e hits free agency. I love watching him but he's becoming a JD Drew monster talent who never plays. With the emergence of Ozuna and all the outfield talent in the pipe hole maybe we should try an use him to grab a first basemen or a third basemen in case coghlan can't handle the hot corner.
  24. Okay walks are important but only at the top of the order. The big beef gotta get the hits.
  25. I'm gonna join the faction that believes you're just screwing around. Why do you think that? Walks just aren't that important. Nobody cares who the all time walk leader is. Any sports fan can tell you who the all time hits and home run champion is though. A walk is better than a strikeout of course but look at guys like Vladimir Guerrero or the year Jorge Cantu had for us in 2006 those are guys that were super productive and hardly walked at all. Would you rather have Vladimir Guerrero or Nick Johnson batting for you? Think about it.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.