Everything posted by Marlin Nation
-
Andre Dawson elected to HOF
Dawson's stats may not impress most, but his achievements impress me. He's one of only 3 members of the 400 HR-300 SB club (Bonds and Mays of course), 8x Gold Glove winner, 8x All-Star, 4x Silver Slugger, NL MVP and ROY. And he garnered those awards on some awful teams too.
-
Why Become A Marlin's Fan?
Two World Series wins in recent memory, an exciting young nucleus of players, a savvy front office, and a new stadium on the horizon. The Marlins are trending upward for sure.
-
Coghlan named 2009 NL Rookie of The Year
Man, all those number freaks had me scared that CC wasn't gonna get the award because of some obscure metric. I'm happy that the city he plays for didn't bury his chances.
-
Sammy Sosa's new look
Sweet Zombie Jesus, he looks like a zombie.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
I like how this thread dries up after Kimbo is eliminated. I thought he got a second chance because someone got hurt? I know it happens all the time on the show, not sure if he is back yet.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
I like how this thread dries up after Kimbo is eliminated.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
If Kimbo was a great fighter he'd be such a massive crossover superstar, he is already a media icon and he has no ability.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
Wow Kimbo, you should be ashamed of that first round. Totally exposed yourself. And Kimbo loses, how exactly is that the "best" fight of your career Kimbo? He made you look like a bitch. Wow, Marcus Jones injured, they put Kimbo back on the show. Seriously, the guy was embarrassed his first fight, I guess we'll see him embarrassed a second time. I'm sorry but Kimbo is terrible. His stock has plummeted in the last 2 years. He really does not have that much skill. Its a shame because the guy who beat him isn't even that good. The fight today SUCKED. There was no action. Nelson just jumped on him and softly punched him. Roy Nelson is the most ballyhooed and credentialed fighter in the house so it's hard to gauge where Kimbo is at, at this point in his development, so I wouldn't be too hard on him. If Big Country fought the entire cast, the fight would look similar or worse. My biggest criticism of Kimbo is his total lack of gas, he's so ripped but has no stamina for fighting, he was gassed after a round. Also, he got NO support from his corner, no instruction at all. I think he'd do better against the other crappy fighters with no gas, like Shivers or whoever, someone who is at his level of development, Nelson would be UFC-bound with or without this show.
-
Favorite TV Shows of All-Time
1. Futurama 2. Frasier 3. Family Guy 4. Golden Girls 5. The Simpsons 6. The George Lopez Show 7. True Blood 8. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air 9. iCarly 10. The Ultimate Fighter
- The Ultimate Fighter 10
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
All said if Kimbo takes out Nelson, I don't think I'll ever talk sh*t about him again, he should have everyone's respect after that.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
Roy may have the most history out of the fighters on this show, but he is probably the most out of shape, lazy, and overall not ready for this show. I think if any fight was going to benefit Kimbo, it would be this fight. Roy likes to keep the fight off the ground and go punch for punch (aka Kimbo's strong suit). This match may be over early in the 2nd round. 1. Roy is first and foremost a ground fighter, he has a black belt in BJJ. 2. He may have a gut but he is FAR from out of shape. Yes, he has a gut but a six pack doesn't translate to going 3 rounds (see Wes Shivers last week or Marcus Jones nearly dropping after doing cardio). He has always been big and people have always interpreted that as "Lazy" but he usually proves them wrong. 3. This is possibly the worst match-up for Kimbo, Roy is by far the most proven fighter on the show - he's better than the guy they're throwing at Cain Velasquez, Ben Rothwell. He has a legit black belt too, for example a local instructor here, Stan Beck, has been training under Renzo Gracie since 1997, has been running his academy in Weston for the last 2 years and has JUST received his black belt a few months back. I have to disagree about Nelson being better than Rothwell, on top of already beating Nelson he has fought well over twice as many fights, albeit against a similar level of competition. Also, some gumshoes at Sherdog are taking apart the sneak peak of Kimbo/Nelson and in one split second frame you do see Kimbo blasting Nelson in the face with a right straight.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
Roy may have the most history out of the fighters on this show, but he is probably the most out of shape, lazy, and overall not ready for this show. I think if any fight was going to benefit Kimbo, it would be this fight. Roy likes to keep the fight off the ground and go punch for punch (aka Kimbo's strong suit). This match may be over early in the 2nd round. I think he was a month removed from his fight with Monson when the show was taped, so he wasn't that far from being in camp. I know it's hard to imagine, but Nelson has a good gas tank for a HW and is very durable, his only KO came from Arlovksi. His IFL run had a lot of KO's in it but at his core he is a jujitsu player, if Kimbo threatens him standing he can fall back on his Renzo Gracie black belt. If Kimbo had Greg Jackson in his corner I'd feel a little better about Kimbo's chances but as soon as this hits the ground all he is gonna hear from Rampage is "Get up! Get up! Get up! You gotta do something!".
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
Damn, Kimbo draws the best fighter on the show as his first fight, lol. Nelson is the worst match-up possible for him.
-
The Ultimate Fighter 10
I'd be shocked if Kimbo won a fight on the show as the matchmaking isn't done by bookers but by the coaches who want a favorable match-up for the guy on their team. I'm sure the producers protect Kimbo though, at least until midway through taping. I'm sure there is some other chump on the show he can beat, maybe one of the washed-up football players.
-
9/12 Post Game
Nice to cleanse the palette of last night's loss with a beatdown.
-
9/11 post game
I think any ire directed at Bonerface should be reserved for Fredi and Fredi alone. Emilio isn't a major league player, he can't hit for average, he can't hit for power, he's the most confused hitter in the league, he can't bunt, and he can't draw walks. That said, it isn't his fault that Fredi, despite being 144 games into the season, trots out the league's worst hitter in an RBI situation and has him do something that he cannot. At this point in the season, after 449 ABs, you have to know that Boni's bunting ability isn't average, or below average, or poor; it's nonexistent. He can't bunt. He doesn't know how. Why is Fredi setting him up to fail? It's such an inexplicable move, beyond my comprehension.
-
Fredi has to go...
Lou Pinella is as "passionate" as they come yet he hasn't led a team to the WS in nearly 20 years. Comparing this team to the 2003 is outrageous, that team was loaded, a virtual All-Star team with one of the greatest defensive infields ever assembled. The OP is just a troll because no one can be that dumb.
-
We're running out of time
I think we are about done, we need to go on an amazing tear and the Rockies need to meltdown for us to get the WC, the prospect of them losing 3 or 4 in a row is unlikely. Even if we play well, i.e. win every series the rest of the way, we may still come up short.
-
Ringolsby says Marlins playoff hopes are a mirage
I think the Marlins can squeak into the playoffs with a WC bid but I don't know how far they can get in the post-season.
-
Bandwagon fans?
Miami is the worst sports city in America. The fact that Dolphins training camp gets more media coverage than a Marlins' sweep of the Phillies is all you need to know.
-
Buyers ( : or Sellers ) :
We aren't a playoff caliber team and I don't think we are a few acquisitions away from being one.
-
7/21 Post Game
Volstad for me. Offense should have dropped a giant deuce on the Pads.
-
Hermida for Capps?
I'd be shocked if we got anything of value in return for Hermida. I don't think he has any trade value whatsoever.
-
7/4/09 Pirates @ Marlins 6:10PM
Babality!