Trade Luis?

jonnylons

Allright, here it is - some of you will think this is serious flame here. But let's think about this...

Easely is solid defensively. He has more pop than Luis and given consistent playing time, could hit about .280 with 15+HRs. He can do somethings offensively Luis cant do. And remember, Luis is not the base-stealer he once was, although he is very efficient right now.

But Luis could have some serious trade value on the market for a team needing a defensive presence, say, Boston. You could trade Luis for Nomar (while Boston slides Reese over to SS) and still have AGon to dangle for something else - maybe Lowe and put him in relief?

You would then have Nomar at SS, Easely at 2nd, and Lowe, who was a once dominant closer, in the pen. Offense gets better, your defense doesnt slip a whole lot (Nomar is an excellent defensive SS too), and you improve your bullpen.

But it would require trading Luis and AGon - our gold glove caliber middle defense. Remember, we got some other options for the future too with Wilson, Wathan.

Just a thought...let the blasting begin!

I'm not going to disagree with the notion that Castillo might be used as tradebait but for myself I'd hate to see him go. He's just that good a player that his departure could have all kinds of consequences.

I do think that the guy most probably to be traded will be Damion Easley who certainly seems to have resurrected his MLB career. I doubt he'll be a Marlins by the time the trade deadline ends (perhaps opening up a spot to bring up Joe Dillon).

Take out Cabrera and the pitching staff out of the discusson and Luiy is the most attractive Marlin for other teams. He's signed long term, and there are few middle infielders with the talent to get on base 40% of the time AND steal 20 bases.

But why trade him? Unless we can get another ace starting pitcher or an outfielder better than the overrated Beltran.

luis contributes too much defensively to let him go, especially compared to easley. he has really been one of the guys who has defined this team since 1998. second, nomar sucks. third, we have l.c. locked up to a long-term deal, so we really are giving up a lot by trading him. fourth, a young player like castillo is more likely to hold up over the course of a long season - we still have nearly 3 months til the playoffs. if there's trade bait on this squad, it's nunez for sure.

how the hell do you trade a dude who took a pay cut to stay with this team...Castillo helped our team financially this offseason, and it would be terrible to dangle him as trade bait. People get pissed at players for not being loyal...but GMs can be too, and that's what that would be.

Luis I think means too much to the team, there is the team chemistry factor that got us to the WS last year

441340[/snapback]

When we play the 2003 season again let me know. That chemistry is gone. 2004 chemistry is needed and that may or may not include Castillo. The only untouchables on this team are Lowell, Cabrera, Beckett and AJ in my opinion. Everyone else for the right price is tradable.

in my opinion, the whole starting lineup is untouchable & the entire rotation. if we are gonna deal for someone, we better trade some prospects, i don't want to see any of these guys go. not even niner. if we made a deal for a LF, niner could be a nice bat off the bench.

It is interesting to see the reactions. Most notable, is Furman's 'Castillo took a paycut' argument. I agree, that would be disheartening to deal him away when he stayed with this team - and I wonder how other players (Lowell, especially) would feel about that.

But it was just a thought. I figured we would get better offensively and our bullpen would improve with Lowe, too. But most reactions seem emotional, although the argument of Luis being able to get on base about 40% with 20 steals (Rferry) is a strong one against dealing him.

I think what can be deduced here is that people want to make a deal to get this team better, but not with dealing anyone significant. So, I dont see a significant upgrade happening if that is the case - and, why make a trade anyway? Perhaps, and I believe that this is the case, this team will straighten itself out down the line?