thoughts on Rafael Palmeiro

MVPosey

While superstar is definitely not the right word to describe Palmeiro, he is one of the most underrated players career wise...he's a guy that if you look at his stats from year to year, factor in he's only played in four All Star games, and you'd say no way he's even close to being a Hall of Famer, but if you add them up he's a lock for the Hall...there's something to be said about that, that he has been a consistently good player all these years...also one of the most durable players of our generation, arguably the most durable this side of Cal Ripken

Sometimes people overvalue this, consistency and durability over a long period of time (i.e. people who rank Nolan Ryan among the greatest pitchers ever), but most of the time it's undervalued...he was never close to being the best...there have been hundreds of players during the time he's played that were better players, but be it injuries, couldn't handle the pressure of being in the big leagues, or just plain underacheived, so they'll never be on the same level as he is...Mr. Consistency will finally get the recognition he deserves for this when his plaque is put up at Cooperstown

also, he's bordering on becoming one of the few guys to hit 500 homers and get 3000 hits, and there's very little mention of it anywhere...what does he have to do to get respect?

Guest FlummoxedLummox

From what I understand, Hank Aaron had the same type of problem until one day people looked up and saw that he was gonna break Babe Ruth's record. Then, he obviously did get the recognition that he deserves. But for a long time, he was not recognized as an elite player. Afterall, if memory serves, he never led the league in any offensive category. Aaron was considered a good player, but not a great player.

Raphael Palmeiro, might do better than 500, 3000. He might do 600, 3000 -- joining only Mays and Aaron in that club. When his career is over, though obviously not to the same degree, I think he will have a similar post-career recognition as Aaron. People will look back over his career and see how consistent he was for how long, and recognize the achievement. In my opinion, he is a hands down first ballot HOFer.

when you say the name rafael palmeiro, you dont think of him as a HOFer. but his stats are too good to be out of Cooperstown. hopefully he makes it, but theres still gonna be plenty of people who resist putting him in bc they dont conisder him to be an "elite" player

im gonna go see this guy #3000 no doubt

When I think of Rafael Palmeiro I think HOFer...Just because you never hear him bash his team, owner, follow players, never got arrested, DUI, beat his wife etc people never give him the credit cause you never hear about him.

840979[/snapback]

He just bangs Ryne Sandberg's wife instead of doing all that.

:mischief

From what I understand, Hank Aaron had the same type of problem until one day people looked up and saw that he was gonna break Babe Ruth's record. Then, he obviously did get the recognition that he deserves. But for a long time, he was not recognized as an elite player. Afterall, if memory serves, he never led the league in any offensive category. Aaron was considered a good player, but not a great player.

Raphael Palmeiro, might do better than 500, 3000. He might do 600, 3000 -- joining only Mays and Aaron in that club. When his career is over, though obviously not to the same degree, I think he will have a similar post-career recognition as Aaron. People will look back over his career and see how consistent he was for how long, and recognize the achievement. In my opinion, he is a hands down first ballot HOFer.

840367[/snapback]

i don't know about palmeiro, but aaron was definitely considered a dominant player by the players if not the fans during his career. i read the koufax biography a couple of years ago, and there's this one part where he and drysdale are discussing the NL lineups for the younger players, and how to pitch them, and apparently their report for aaron was 'when he hits one, make sure nobody's on'.

Guest Juanky

Raffy gets no love, but he def has to be a Hall of Famer. Above Average glove, great guy, and his bat is among the best of our time. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot everyone that votes for the Hall of Fame should be burned at the stake.