HR Derby

Ramp

The CENTURY 21 Home Run Derby (ESPN and ESPN Radio, Monday, July 11, 8 p.m. ET) will have an international flavor this year.

Hoping to kick off the countdown to next year's World Baseball Classic, the derby will feature players from different nations represented throughout Major League Baseball. Six out of eight participants have confirmed their spots, according to MLB.com.

According to the Web site Tuesday, the roster includes: Atlanta slugger and home run leader Andruw Jones, Philadelphia's Bobby Abreu, Milwaukee's Carlos Lee, Pittsburgh's Jason Bay, Detroit's Ivan Rodriguez and Boston's David Ortiz.

The Dominican Republic will be represented by Ortiz; Venezuela by Abreu, Puerto Rico by Rodriguez; Curacao by Jones; Panama by Lee; and Canada by Bay.

The only two countries not represented yet are the United States and Japan.

One player who won't represent the United States will be Chicago Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee, who declined an invitation because of a sore shoulder, MLB.com reported.

Does this remind anyone else of the fall of the Slam Dunk Contest?

841839[/snapback]

Not really. In the NBA it was the players who were openly against not doing it. Here: it seems to be baseball doing silly things even if it means not getting the best in. Put a hometown Detroit player in? Check. Put the Asian superstar in? Check. Get the Red Sox player in over last year's champ? Check

I wouldnt be so upset over the Cabrera not being in thing. Hes not your typical home run masher, although Bobby isint either.

Its beyond ridiculous the way they have made a cool game turn into a ploy to get as much viewers as possible.(At least they think they can)

Excuse me for being ignorant, but can someone please elaborate on the World Baseball Classic for me?

I wouldnt be so upset over the Cabrera not being in thing. Hes not your typical home run masher, although Bobby isint either.

Its beyond ridiculous the way they have made a cool game turn into a ploy to get as much viewers as possible.(At least they think they can)

841893[/snapback]

Your DRay fanness has made you blind.

Unless your definition of a homerun hitter is Adam Dunn, those two are some of the best longball hitters in the game.

Wow.

Lol. I dont know what me having to like the DRays has anything to do with this(or it could just be you taking a "shot" at me, not that id care) especially since im a marlin first. And no, both cabrera and abreu are both all around great hitters. they are not in the mold of being "sluggers" like an old sammy sosa, or yes, even dunn. you could make a case for cabs, being as this is his 3rd year in the show. but i dunno how a guy who has never hit more than 31 hrs a year is "one of the best longball hitters in the game"

Dont get me wrong, i love abreu, one of my favorite players and the most underrated player in baseball imo, but hes not what you just said he was.

Wow.

Lol. I dont know what me having to like the DRays has anything to do with this(or it could just be you taking a "shot" at me, not that id care) especially since im a marlin first. And no, both cabrera and abreu are both all around great hitters. they are not in the mold of being "sluggers" like an old sammy sosa, or yes, even dunn. you could make a case for cabs, being as this is his 3rd year in the show. but i dunno how a guy who has never hit more than 31 hrs a year is "one of the best longball hitters in the game"

Dont get me wrong, i love abreu, one of my favorite players and the most underrated player in baseball imo, but hes not what you just said he was.

842002[/snapback]

I don't get the comparison. Many of the best homerun hitters hit 30+ a year. In rare cases except for the past couple of years, the top homerun hitters have hit in the low to mid 30s to mid to upper 40s.

Traditional HR hitters: Tejada, Ramirez, Dunn, Delgado,Arod. Thats what I was getting at.

842734[/snapback]

I really don't get what you're trying to say. Do you mean consistent sluggers over the past 5 years or so? Because Abreu has been just as consistent as them and Cabrera has done more in two and a half seasons than most of these players have.

Abreu over Cabrera?

841820[/snapback]

I KNOW! IT'S COMPLETELY ABSURD! How could they choose a guy with 18 HR's over one with 16 HR's.

Have they no math skills? 16> 18

842750[/snapback]

I'm sure if Miguel Cabrera played in Citizens Bank Park he would have a lot more than 16 home runs.