Mr. Marlin

Das Texan

Ok look. Its way overdue. The idiocy of this board is riduclious, but I'm going to return this to some sort of old timeness.

Having said that, who would you consider Mr. Marlin?

I know many consider that to be one Jeff Conine, but I would disagree.

One of the most important players to our 2003 championship run is going to be one of the most important players to any 2005 championship run.

Its not Jeff Conine.

Its Luis Castillo. Him along with Jeff are probably the two biggest symbols to the life of this franchise.

Now this thread is not meant to be a debate as to whom is worthy of this title, although if that happens so be it.

This thread is all about which players are the most important to the life of this franchise from day one.

Who is worthy of the title Mr. Marlin; be it all time or simply just for what they may have done at one time or another.

Post away and I expect all old school and intelligent posters here to respond.

PS....if there are any insanly stupid posts, I am going to be the Dasshole I am and delete them and then possibly suspend you. Because thats me.

:hat

I still think Jeff is Mr. Marlin simply because he was the first "star" that the Marlins had. He was the face of the team in 93 and still gets a standing ovation whenever he comes up to bat at Dolphins stadium. However, I do agree with you that if there's anyone but Jeff it should be Luis Castillo, a very consistent player and very dedicated to his hometown team.

I vote for Mike Lowell. Hometown boy who has been the face of the franchise since his arrival post-97 fallout.

As for Luis...how can he be Mr. Marlin? I can count the number of times I have heard him speak on one hand. He has never been an easy player to get to know.

In order to be Mr. Marlin...one's off the field position/persona is highly important.

:cool

I also still think that Conine is Mr. Marlin because his story seems to be intertwined so much with the history of the franchise itself. Between the 4-4 on Opening Day '93, the All-Star MVP, being a part of the World Series team in '97, then coming back six years later to spark the second championship team, it's all pretty amazing. But yeah if it wasn't Jeff, then I agree with you 100% on Castillo.

I think Jeff will always be Mr. Marlin, but you cannot discount that Mike Lowell has been the face for this team for a few years now. To me, he is the new Mr. Marlin. I mean he did want to stay here when he could have gotten more $$$ in other places and has been very dedicated to the home crowd.

That's just me of course. :whistle

I vote for Mike Lowell. Hometown boy who has been the face of the franchise since his arrival post-97 fallout.

As for Luis...how can he be Mr. Marlin? I can count the number of times I have heard him speak on one hand. He has never been an easy player to get to know.

In order to be Mr. Marlin...one's off the field position/persona is highly important.

:cool

868853[/snapback]

I agree with that if Lowell can have a couple more all star seasons and return to his former self. Especially with Lowell being from Miami. I hope he can stick with this team for his whole career, if he can somehow pull that off, I see him being the Marlins version of Dan Marino.

Also, if we can sign up Miguel Cabrera long term, he can definitely be Senor Marlin.

Neither is Mr. Marlin. Jeff is close because he was the first face of the franchise. If you ask anyone outside of the Marlins market about jeff conine they will probably relate him to the marlins some how. Luis Castillo flys under the radar a lot and he did have a stint in the minors. Since Luis has been w/ the team for so long he is a close #2.

I know im going to get a lot of s*** for this but I think Wayne Hyzingua is Mr. Marlin. Anyone outside of the Marlins market will always remember the fire sale and the 1997 World Series. People in south florida remember more of wayne when he owned the team than any manager, coach, or player the team has had. Wayne was the face of the franchise from 93-98. Granted you can argue that Wayne is so well known because he is a billionare and he owns the Dolphins as well. And it is easy to say any owner has had the most influential part in shaping a franchise.

So I would say it is a close race between Wayne, Jeff, and Luis. Like I said, Luis flys under the radar. Jeff had 2 seperate stints but was the first star of the team. Wayne will always be remembered by all and known the best by fans, regardless if the memories are negative.

No one said Mr. Marlin had to have a positive image.

Luis is a class act. He look less to stay here. He is consistant, and doesnt ask for much. He is well liked, and very well on the feild. I can deifinatly see where your comming from, Luis wants to be here for the long haul.

In the # retirement topics, you dont think of luis much.. do you? He does deserve more credit. Despite this, Jeff conine has had the name since before Luis made it up, on whether or not it should be handed over, we should wait util 9er call it a career

Neither is Mr. Marlin. Jeff is close because he was the first face of the franchise. If you ask anyone outside of the Marlins market about jeff conine they will probably relate him to the marlins some how. Luis Castillo flys under the radar a lot and he did have a stint in the minors. Since Luis has been w/ the team for so long he is a close #2.

I know im going to get a lot of s*** for this but I think Wayne Hyzingua is Mr. Marlin. Anyone outside of the Marlins market will always remember the fire sale and the 1997 World Series. People in south florida remember more of wayne when he owned the team than any manager, coach, or player the team has had. Wayne was the face of the franchise from 93-98. Granted you can argue that Wayne is so well known because he is a billionare and he owns the Dolphins as well. And it is easy to say any owner has had the most influential part in shaping a franchise.

So I would say it is a close race between Wayne, Jeff, and Luis. Like I said, Luis flys under the radar. Jeff had 2 seperate stints but was the first star of the team. Wayne will always be remembered by all and known the best by fans, regardless if the memories are negative.

No one said Mr. Marlin had to have a positive image.

868870[/snapback]

Are you serious? Wayne?? WTF is wrong with you?

:blink:

I was waiting for some crap for it. thats why i prefaced it w/ "i know im going to get a lot of crap for this". my main argument is that if you relate Mr. Marlin to the most well known marlin and the face of the franchise you could argue wayne because he is probably the best known [ex]"marlin" in franchise history.

We could either sit here and post "luis is mr marlin" or "jeff is mr marlin" all day long. that just gets boring.

I think only one person can have that title and the title should be retained until he leaves the team for good. That said, Conine should be Mr. Marlin until he is gone.

Louis is a fine canidate but I dont think he will ever be the face of the franchise or it's philosiphies. When conine is gone, Cabrera will be Mr. Marlin (here's to hoping cabrera becomes a marlins for life). Louis just hit bad timing or he would be a great mr. marlin. But cabrera's youth, fearlessness and attitude is exactly what the marlins resemble and I dont think there will be much doubt that he will be the face of the franchise

Let me say this....

I love the mention of one H Wayne Huizenga.

I hate the SOB for what he did post 97....however, without him there is no Florida Marlins, there is no 1997, there is no 2003.

Like I said, this was never meant to be a true debate...but in the history of the franchise he does deserve worth mentioning.

The title of Mr Marlin though is one that bears thought. Let's just say this....Luis Castillo has been with this franchise since the beginning. I forget when he was signed if it was prior to year one or not...but he has been part of the Marlins since the very beginning essentially. He was on both the 97 and 03 title teams, may not have really played a huge role in 97, but he did appear on that team and should have a ring from that year. He is also the career franchise leader in....games, runs, hits, and stolen bases.

You can make an extremely huge case for Luis as this title, simply based on what he does on the field. If Luis can still run, he needs to be given the green light to take off, I dont care who is behind him in the lineup. He is that good on the basepaths.

In no way do I intend this to be a prediction, but Castillo is likely the first player whose number will be retired by the Marlins. With the exception of Gary Sheffield (and to an extent Mike Lowell) Castillo is all over the leader boards when it comes to career offensive achievements with the Marlins, and he's the only guy who realistically should have his number retired. Conine probably will, but whether that happens is debateable. For all you "puck heads" out there, remember how vital Adam Graves was for the New York Rangers, yet his number was reissued to Pavel Bure and it's likely #9 will never be hanging above the Garden for Graves. IMO, that's almost an identical situation to Conine with us...

Oh, and Das, if memory serves, Castillo was signed in '92...

Luiy's long-term contributions are greater than those of both Conine and Lowell, but I don't know if he's enough of a "face in the community" to merit being Mr. Marlin. I consider him, if anyone, Mr. Marlin at this time (though Lowell and Conine also are up there), and agree that he should be the first (and so far only) Marlin to get consideration for having his number retired.

But, the question is, how well known in the general population, outside of the "diehards", do you have to be in order to be Mr. Marlin? Is Mr. Marlin also a gigantic face in the community, or is he Mr. Marlin simply based on his long term contributions? Because I'd guess that among Conine, Lowell, and Castillo, most people would know Conine and Lowell but fewer would know Castillo, even if he has meant more to the Fish over the course of his career than the other two.

Guest FishFanInPA

Luis has been a starter almost his whole career as a Marlin...can't say the same for Niner despite all the consequences.....Luis has also never left the team.....I agree Das.

Guest Juanky

There has been no one thus far that has shown the commitment to this team that Luis Castillo has. He does his job day in and day out, getting little to no credit for his contributions (how many times have people here wanted to trade him?), and being a stable force in times of many inbalances among the organization. No matter what the issues with the team, you know that you can walk into JRS on almost any given day and see #1 trot out to 2B whether it be 1998, 2005, or 2011.

As far as the face of the franchise, that's Dontrelle Willis. Who do people think of when they think Florida Marlins outside of Miami? Barring some kind of momental problem revolving around us at the time or some special attention (such as the Burnett rumors at the moment), Dontrelle Willis' name always comes up. He's the happy go lucky kid with a funky wind up that lets hitters walk into the batter's box and then promptly sends them back the way they came with a big frown on their face and a big smile on his. He's the anti-thesis of professional baseball but the shining beacon of everything baseball is when you're little: wearing your uniform in different funny ways, socks all the way, getting dirty by sliding into every base, running as hard as you can and looking like a big goof doing it, and giving 110% on every play because you were having damn fun doing it. Say what you want about Mikey, Niner, and others - but they all have tragic flaws. Willis not only openly represents the Marlins, he is the face of everything baseball means to us when we're 7 years old and yet to be corrupted by the evils of our old age.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.