Sheffield Slams Jeter, Yankees Organization

Passion

Gary Sheffield has news for Yankee fans: Derek Jeter ain't the leader of this pack. "I know who the leader is on the team," Sheffield said in an explosive New York magazine interview set to hit newsstands Monday.

"I ain't going to say who it is, but I know who it is. I know who the team feeds off. I know who the opposing team comes in knowing they have to defend to stop the Yankees."

Sheffield, who has a reputation for being prickly and outspoken, doesn't stop there.

The 17-year veteran blasts the media for hyping team captain Jeter and third baseman Alex Rodriguez over every other player on the team - and says the Yankees lack family values, chemistry and trust. "Why shouldn't I tell the truth?" Sheffield told writer Stephen Rodrick. "I ain't trying to get no Pepsi commercial."

Sheffield never mentions Jeter and A-Rod by name, but he told New York the media portrays the two superstars "in a positive light and everyone else is garbage."

He says other players look at the Yankees as a first-class organization, but he believes the team lacks respect for family.

"It's not a family-oriented team. In L.A., wives can fly on the plane; with the Yankees they can't," the former Dodger said. "With other teams, the wives always have functions to bring them together. Not here."

New York's media crush, he contends, damages whatever chemistry the team might have. "This is the first team I've been on where no one sits at their locker," he said.

"It's where you build your chemistry from, how you get to know each other, just talking about life. I'm used to having six chairs around me, but here if there are six chairs, then there's going to be 20 reporters around me."

Sheffield, 36, also concedes he's not willing to pull a Jeter and dive into the stands after a ball. "That's not happening. I tore up my shoulder, I tore up a knee. I'm not doing that again," he said.

The All-Star with the gunslinger eyes also told New York he was insulted when general manager Brian Cashman offered him a two-year, $18 million contract before last season. He ended up signing a three-year, $39 million deal.

"I just came off 39 home runs and 132 RBIs and you ain't got nobody on your team that can put up those numbers, and you ain't gonna get anyone who is going to," he said. "But George [steinbrenner] asked me not to take it as an insult and kept pursuing me. I said, 'Fine, I don't have to speak to anyone in the organization to still do my job.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...6p-285906c.html

This adds fuel to my argument that A-Rod is the fakest person in baseball, or simply, A-Fraud.

He's been pissed at the Yankees since the middle of last year, and it all has to do with deferred money from his contract. He wants interest paid, but the Yankees are refusing to pay interest (as per the contract) so he's refusing to be part of the Yankees related events. He won't do anything for YES, or any other Yankee related program.

He's been pissed off for over a year now...

"I ain't going to say who it is, but I know who it is. I know who the team feeds off. I know who the opposing team comes in knowing they have to defend to stop the Yankees."

I wonder who he is talking about. I'd say Rivera, but that quotes sounds like he is referring to a hitter. Posada? Giambi? Matsui? Sheffield? I doubt any team thinks they're harder to pitch t than ARod.

I wonder who he is talking about. I'd say Rivera, but that quotes sounds like he is referring to a hitter. Posada? Giambi? Matsui? Sheffield? I doubt any team thinks they're harder to pitch t than ARod.

889962[/snapback]

i think he's referring to himself

also, I wonder why, if sheff is so unhappy, he was so adamant about saying that if he were traded from the yanks he wouldn't be happy. doesn't seem to make any sense. If he were unhappy wouldn't he welcome a trade? instead he treatenend any teams trying to trade for him by saying he would be unhappy and that they wouldn't want an unhappy sheff on their team....

Looks like he had a bad breakup with Under the Sheets Jetes and now he's on the outs with the mighty Rod. :p

In all seriousness - A-Rod, Jeter and Sheffield are all good friends. Gary has complimented them both numerous times. Its not like they all hate eachother. I know for a fact Jeter, Sheff, Giambi and Posada all were at A-Rods birthday party, so I dont think they really have any problems.

Its just that Gary sometimes gets out of control with his mouth, and spouts off.

He's one of those players who your going to get a good story like this about once or twice a year.

It's something you have to deal with.

Jeter isn't nearly the best player on that team, but I'd still say he is the leader.

Anyways, this (like the Manny thing) won't matter, Sheff will keep hitting and I doubt this affects the Yanks much at all (they aren't making the playoffs either way).

889962[/snapback]

i think he's referring to himself

also, I wonder why, if sheff is so unhappy, he was so adamant about saying that if he were traded from the yanks he wouldn't be happy. doesn't seem to make any sense. If he were unhappy wouldn't he welcome a trade? instead he treatenend any teams trying to trade for him by saying he would be unhappy and that they wouldn't want an unhappy sheff on their team....

890015[/snapback]

After the MEts game on WB 11 here, they discussed this, they even talked about how Sheff would not play at his full to purposefully put him up for trades

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.