March 30, 200620 yr http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...-sports-marlins So, being optimistic, this franchise remains two years from thinking of winning and three from maybe contending. This brings us back to Willis. There are a few reasons to trade him this summer and ahead of Cabrera. First, he's a pitcher, which makes him an instant health risk if you can't dream of contending for three seasons. Look at A.J. Burnett on the disabled list in Toronto. Look at the Chicago Cubs with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior. Look at the reconstructed arms on any staff. Second, Willis got $4.35 million this year in his first swing at arbitration. That's a bargain, considering who he is. It doesn't matter it represents 25 percent of the payroll considering how low it is (under $19 million). But his salary will keep increasing until he's a free agent after 2009. In other words, about the time the Marlins are ready to contend, Willis will be near free agency. Cabrera, too. He becomes a free agent the same time and, despite making $470,000 this year can expect to earn more than $6 million next year after arbitration. Again, if there's a stadium deal coming, the Marlins happily can live with those salaries. But nothing's in sight right now. And if the rest of your team can't win for at least two years, or contend for three, that puts him close to free agency. That brings up another set of problems. What would Willis bring on the open market? A scout whistled. This is no fun to talk about. Willis, like Dwyane Wade, is the kind of player you get in a sports town only in the luckiest times. He wants to stay here. He expects to be here in two years. "I like it here, with the Marlins, the fans," Willis said. Again, he's the best ticket in sports. Again, he has the attitude we all try to have. And, reluctantly again, if there's no stadium deal coming isn't it in everyone's best interests to trade him this summer? Please give us a new Stadium...
March 30, 200620 yr It may be for the best. Maybe for the worst. It might rain tomorrow. Could snow. Willis might get hurt. Then again he could stay healthy. I could eat eggs in the morning, but I might feel like pancakes. I guess Hyde's skill is drawing that out for more lines.
March 30, 200620 yr Depending upon what we would get, I like the idea of trading Dontrelle. If we could nab an elite pitching prospect (i.e. Verlander, Cain, Billingsly, Liriano, etc.) and a good position prospect, I would do it immediately. I think Willis is very overrated. He is a very good pitcher, but not elite. I don't think he will ever reproduce the season he had last year, especially not on a team as bad and as young as the Marlins. His trade value will never be this high again. The key to successful general management is knowing when to sell high and buy low, even if it means making an unpopular decision.
March 30, 200620 yr Depending upon what we would get, I like the idea of trading Dontrelle. If we could nab an elite pitching prospect (i.e. Verlander, Cain, Billingsly, Liriano, etc.) and a good position prospect, I would do it immediately. I think Willis is very overrated. He is a very good pitcher, but not elite. I don't think he will ever reproduce the season he had last year, especially not on a team as bad and as young as the Marlins. His trade value will never be this high again. The key to successful general management is knowing when to sell high and buy low, even if it means making an unpopular decision. They'll hold onto Willis because until they get a stadium deal, here, there, or anywhere in between, they need something to sell, more than just one face.
March 30, 200620 yr Depending upon what we would get, I like the idea of trading Dontrelle. If we could nab an elite pitching prospect (i.e. Verlander, Cain, Billingsly, Liriano, etc.) and a good position prospect, I would do it immediately. I think Willis is very overrated. He is a very good pitcher, but not elite. I don't think he will ever reproduce the season he had last year, especially not on a team as bad and as young as the Marlins. His trade value will never be this high again. The key to successful general management is knowing when to sell high and buy low, even if it means making an unpopular decision. Wake up he's a Left handed pitcher who's going to give you 220+ innings every year. He plays his heart out. You can never duplicate dontrelle willis, he's a once in a generation pitcher.. wake up you get the award for ignorant post. oh and besides the fact he'll own the franchise record for wins by the end of april.
March 30, 200620 yr Why couldn't Dontrelle do that again? His funcky windup/delivery was found to be mechanicially sound, to the point where he puts less pressure on his throwing arm than most standard pitchers if I am not mistaken. I am by no means saying he wont get hurt, but you cant trade a pitcher on a "maybe". Thatd be like killing every calf in the world because they might get mad cow, but you know what your left with? No big macs. In this case, D-Train is our big mac and we arent done with it so why throw it away(wow, sorry for the analogy, double quarter pounder craving for some reason). As for trade value never being higher...ya a pitcher that is 24(I believe) now with 2 all star games, a ROY, and that should of won the cy young in his 3rd pro season will just lose all that value overnight. And I might win the lottery...basicially what the acquiring team would be doing. And I consider my self quite the man, but I cant help it when but say the Dontrelle is charming. He alone will put butts in the seats, as he has since he arrived, for not only his talent on the field just because of the kind of person he is...so you want to get rid of one half of the teams proven $$$ generators? Also, trading Dontrelle would probably be the kick to the grapefruits that sends the team out of South Florida.
March 30, 200620 yr What's wrong with all of this sport writers and sports radio talk host?? is this the best they can do? I mean I hear nothing but negative comments and articles about this team, it's unbelievable! they give this team no credit whatsoever, they've won like 9-10 games in a row in ST, yeah like everyone says it's just ST but heck, at least give these kids credit, they've showed cojones. I just heard that retard Kimbo Camper on WQAM that this team will win like 40+ games the most, and that the team won't be the same without Castillo, Delgado, LoDuca, etc. We had all those big money players last year and we choked, totally underachieved. So why not talk about a young team that's gonna be fun to watch and I'm sure will put more runs in the scoreboard than last years team. I'm sure they have a shot at .500 and possibly winning 70+ games, give some optimism goddamit.
March 30, 200620 yr why even write that article? Because it's Dave Hyde and his sole purpose in love is to provide anal love to and for Wayne Huizenga.
March 30, 200620 yr why even write that article? New York Post (or insert your national newspaper title here) April 1st David Hyde reports the Marlins might trade Dontrelle Willis
March 30, 200620 yr Hyde is a jerk we all know that guys, we do need to seal up a stadium to build up more revenue but I really dont see the Marlins getting rid of him anytime soon.
March 30, 200620 yr What a fu*ktard. My opinion of Dave Hyde grows less and less all the time. If the Marlins can't get a stadium, they'll move and so why would he care what's "best for the team" in that scenario? 'Course Hyde probably doesn't care what's "best for the team" in any circumstance. Doesn't think the team can contend in three seasons? Dave you fit in perfectly with the rest of the south florida sports reporters. Don't know a damn thing. Sod off Hyde.
March 30, 200620 yr I like Dave Hyde but i think he is a moron for even thinking something like this...this article was written at a very bad time and didn't need to be published..shame on you S-S
March 30, 200620 yr why even write that article? New York Post (or insert your national newspaper title here) April 1st David Hyde reports the Marlins might trade Dontrelle Willis Yup. Exactly.
March 30, 200620 yr what a waste of eye movement that was ... worst freaking article "he's a special player ... he brings people to the stands ... he's unique and kind hearted" "so trade him" STFU
March 30, 200620 yr why even write that article? meeting a deadline.. its sickening Couldnt have said he better myself... LOSER this guy is, desperate F*ck
March 30, 200620 yr unless we can get a guy called Justin Verlander or Francisco Liriano the answer is no. If we go after hitters which we should the list is 5 players Young, Wood, Kendrick, J Upton and Milledge
March 30, 200620 yr What's wrong with all of this sport writers and sports radio talk host?? I just heard that retard Kimbo Camper on WQAM that this team will win like 40+ games the most, and that the team won't be the same without Castillo, Delgado, LoDuca, etc. Your first mistake was listening to that moron.
March 30, 200620 yr why even write that article? Exactly what I thought as I read this.. All this negativity just 4 days before Opening Day is completely unnecessary.
March 30, 200620 yr What's wrong with all of this sport writers and sports radio talk host?? is this the best they can do? I mean I hear nothing but negative comments and articles about this team, it's unbelievable! they give this team no credit whatsoever, they've won like 9-10 games in a row in ST, yeah like everyone says it's just ST but heck, at least give these kids credit, they've showed cojones. I just heard that retard Kimbo Camper on WQAM that this team will win like 40+ games the most, and that the team won't be the same without Castillo, Delgado, LoDuca, etc. We had all those big money players last year and we choked, totally underachieved. So why not talk about a young team that's gonna be fun to watch and I'm sure will put more runs in the scoreboard than last years team. I'm sure they have a shot at .500 and possibly winning 70+ games, give some optimism goddamit. Kim Bokamper Kimbo sounds like a bimbo.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.