todays attendance

Holly....they're still going to win games. The whole season will not be as bad as the start, at least win-loss wise. In the end they'll wind up with about 30 less wins than last years team. There's plenty to be optimistic about with these prospects. The stadium issue is bigger. If they announce a relocation, be sad then....until then, be a happy fan and have a good time watching the kids develop.

Holly....they're still going to win games. The whole season will not be as bad as the start, at least win-loss wise. In the end they'll wind up with about 30 less wins than last years team. There's plenty to be optimistic about with these prospects. The stadium issue is bigger. If they announce a relocation, be sad then....until then, be a happy fan and have a good time watching the kids develop.

How can you have fun when this team is surrounded with some much uncertainty?

Relocation

Cabs and Willis future not secure even if stadium deal is in place.

Loria sucks!

I just got back from the game and from looking around, I figured it to be around 10,000 at first. Kind of surprised that it was only 8,000+. Well I can tell you that there were a bunch of Padres fans, especially the one behind me in section 149 who was absolutely obnoxious and was almost thrown out and what made it more difficult was that this guy was probably louder than anyone else in the entire section. I stayed to the very end, but there must have only been a few thousand left by that time. I look kind of stupid with my uneven sunburn on my arms, but it was a great time, even if it was hard to watch these guys at times.

I am glad you had a great time.

Thanks Holly :)

i like threads like this. i don't think they really need to be discussed but i like to keep up to date on the average weekly attendance or something. if a mod would make a locked sticky thread that posted the average weekly attendance that would be something worth keeping track of. but discussion isn't nessesary. really, what are we going to discuss, how incredibly pathetic the attendance is? there's nothing to discuss there.

You know what? Marlins owners should take this as evidence that if you put a product on the field that can compete people will come out. didn't we average about 20k last year? and wasn't that up from the 04 season? Obviously people in so fla want to see baseball but they want a good team to go see and we haven't had one of those until 03-05 seasons, and thats when people slowly began coming out to the bp.

How can you have fun when this team is surrounded with some much uncertainty?

Relocation

Cabs and Willis future not secure even if stadium deal is in place.

Loria sucks!

I agree with you. If we atleast knew that a stadium was on the way, then I would feel 100 times better and actually accept that we are building for the future. Right now we cant say with 100% certainty that Loria isnt going to keep payroll around 15 mil the next 3 years so he can make 100 million and head out of town.

i like threads like this. i don't think they really need to be discussed but i like to keep up to date on the average weekly attendance or something. if a mod would make a locked sticky thread that posted the average weekly attendance that would be something worth keeping track of. but discussion isn't nessesary. really, what are we going to discuss, how incredibly pathetic the attendance is? there's nothing to discuss there.

You know what? Marlins owners should take this as evidence that if you put a product on the field that can compete people will come out. didn't we average about 20k last year? and wasn't that up from the 04 season? Obviously people in so fla want to see baseball but they want a good team to go see and we haven't had one of those until 03-05 seasons, and thats when people slowly began coming out to the bp.

Here are the past few seasons figures

2002 10,038

2003 16,290 62% increase

2004 22,091 35% increase

2005 22,792 3% increase

There was a 127% increase in attendance from 2002 to 2005. I think it is safe to say that we were heading in the right direction

I went to the third Orioles home game at Camden Yards vs. Tampa Bay and there were less than 13,000 people there.

Yeah, it was Tampa Bay, but it's a nice stadium with not a horrible team.

Is that the beautiful public financed Camden Yards that had that small attendance? Makes one wonder about the guaranteed feasibilty of a stadium in Miami, San Antonio, or anywhere. Hmmm....makes you wonder about the sanity of publically financing a stadium for a billionaire owner to benefit from and one that a small percentage of your taxable citizens are using or benefiting from. And 100% of the citizens use the roads, hospitals, police, fire, schools, etc.

I went to the third Orioles home game at Camden Yards vs. Tampa Bay and there were less than 13,000 people there.

Yeah, it was Tampa Bay, but it's a nice stadium with not a horrible team.

Is that the beautiful public financed Camden Yards that had that small attendance? Makes one wonder about the guaranteed feasibilty of a stadium in Miami, San Antonio, or anywhere. Hmmm....makes you wonder about the sanity of publically financing a stadium for a billionaire owner to benefit from and one that a small percentage of your taxable citizens are using or benefiting from. And 100% of the citizens use the roads, hospitals, police, fire, schools, etc.

Screw those public school kids we need a stadium :p

2002 10,038

2003 16,290 62% increase

2004 22,091 35% increase

2005 22,792 3% increase

There was a 127% increase in attendance from 2002 to 2005. I think it is safe to say that we were heading in the right direction

Yeah, but taht 3% increase in '05 flat sucks. Especially with the signing of Delgado and the team coming off a year where they were in the WC hunt. I would have liked to see at least a 10% attendance growth and then small growth from there. I don't expect more than 28k on average at that ballpark that is in the middle of no where and close to impossible to get to after work if you work in downtown. And even w/ the negative press surrounding the team all last year about how they were underacheiving its hard to say what they would have drawn this year w/o the firesale.

2002 10,038

2003 16,290 62% increase

2004 22,091 35% increase

2005 22,792 3% increase

Yeah, but taht 3% increase in '05 flat sucks. Considering they had the biggest percent increase in ticket prices--by a lot--in all of baseball between those two seasons, I'm pleased they had any increase in attendance.

So we are 1-7, the only team in MLB to win just ONE GAME, let me repeat that ONE GAME!! Yeah that will keep all the fans in the seats throughout the rest of the season.

I am willing to bet most of the money Loria is making is from advertising revenue anyway, who wants to watch a 1-7 team struggle.

Good Job Loria and Samson, way to expedite the franchise out of south florida. lets just see how many people show up when the teams winning percentage is below 25%.... Great Job guys, YOU f***S!

So we are 1-7, the only team in MLB to win just ONE GAME, let me repeat that ONE GAME!! Yeah that will keep all the fans in the seats throughout the rest of the season.

I am willing to bet most of the money Loria is making is from advertising revenue anyway, who wants to watch a 1-7 team struggle.

Good Job Loria and Samson, way to expedite the franchise out of south florida. lets just see how many people show up when the teams winning percentage is below 25%.... Great Job guys, YOU f***S!

And what advertising revenue would that be?

Certainly not what you see in the stadium, that pretty much all goes to Huizenga Holdings. Not what you see on tv or hear on the radio, that belongs to the broadcasters.

How much does Loria get from renevue sharing and whatnot?

I am not totally sure, but the providence journal said that he should pocket over 30 million dollars this year. I am sure most of that is from revenue sharing

8,191 today

yikes

Well it was a day game again. Lets wait and see how the weekend goes and then some week night games

A couple of notes on previous comments.

Stadium advertising. Everything you see at field level (outfield pads, behind home plate, etc) and on the scoreboard belong the Marlins not the stadium. I work for an ad agency and the fish have tried to sell me these ads before, this is not my speculation.

On publicly financing a stadium vs. "fixing problems with schools roads, etc" : This is an easy issue to demagogue. We look around and see crumbling infrastructure and say we can't afford to build a ballpark for a millionaire. But that argument is based on the false premise that not building the ballpark will somehow facilitate the fixing of those problems. Well there's no ballpark now and those problems are still here. They were here 13 years ago when the Marlins started and they'll be here 13 years from now when the Marlins are perhaps long gone. That's because the problem with schools, roads, parks is not a funding problem but rather a political/bureaucratic one. With the increase of property values in south florida over the last 10 years the county has had a windfall and we haven't seen any improvements in those areas one would use to judge quality of life. Until we demand accountability from our politicos they will continue to bilk us regardless of whether or not baseball lives in South Florida.