Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rumor: Marlins shopping for a CF'er.

Featured Replies

Rumor mill: Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports the Marlins are shopping for a center fielder so struggling rookie Reggie Abercrombie can return to the minor leagues to get more experience.

 

Palmbeachpost.com.

 

 

 

Interesting, I wonder who the Fish have in mind.

or move Hermida to center and throw Ross in RF. when Jayson Stark is reporting this then u pretty much know its true and might even happen.

This is the D-Rays we're talking about, they may buy it. :mischief

 

Seriously though as much as I'd love Crawford we probably don't want to give up what it will take to get him.

Give Ross a chance in center before shopping.

 

 

No way... I like Ross but he's a bench player at best just like Aguila, Aberrcrombie (at this point), and Borchard.

 

We need a true MLB starter in the OF to go with Willingham and Hermida.

Marlins are not getting Crawford. They're likely loking for the cheapest guy out there that can concievably play center.

Marlins are not getting Crawford. They're likely loking for the cheapest guy out there that can concievably play center.

 

 

Only way they get Crawford is if they trade Willis....and that would not be a popular move for us even though it may be an upgrade.

 

 

I believe in the future....Crawford may be better than Willis but I don't think we'd trade Willis now.

I'd be open to a Crawford for Willis exchange, though it'd probably include more players from each side

 

it also might be too much of a pr hit for the f.o. to be willing to take even if it does make the team better in the long run and possibly short run as well

I like Alfredo's bat in the lineup right now but I don't know if he is good enough defensively.

 

I still think the Marlins are most in trouble at the catcher position but that may not be too much of a disadvantage because so are most teams.

 

Fredo looked terribly overmatched at the plate yesterday but he made several good plays in CF including an absolutely fabulous, right on the money throw home that held a runner at third and supercharged the stadium.

I like Alfredo's bat in the lineup right now but I don't know if he is good enough defensively.

 

I still think the Marlins are most in trouble at the catcher position but that may not be too much of a disadvantage because so are most teams.

 

Fredo looked terribly overmatched at the plate yesterday.

So have Hanley, Borchard, and Abercrombie. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get someone in CF but I just hope it will be a substantial improvement. Ross has been pretty solid but that Borchard acquisition has been pretty worthless.

Borchard had two hits yesterday with two rbi, one the day before and is hitting .360 for June. I don't know how you can call that "pretty much worthless". I know it isn't just you who is down on Borchard but I just don't get it. I think he makes a more than adequate utility outfielder.

Marlins are not getting Crawford. They're likely loking for the cheapest guy out there that can concievably play center.

 

 

what would be the point in that? If that were the case they could just throw Amezaga out there every night, or platoon guys off the bench out there.

I like Alfredo's bat in the lineup right now but I don't know if he is good enough defensively.

 

I still think the Marlins are most in trouble at the catcher position but that may not be too much of a disadvantage because so are most teams.

 

Fredo looked terribly overmatched at the plate yesterday but he made several good plays in CF including an absolutely fabulous, right on the money throw home that held a runner at third and supercharged the stadium.

That throw was outstanding! Speaking of supercharging the stadium, it was a very lively crowd yesterday. I don't know how long you stayed after the game ended but after the high-fives were done the remaining fans gave the team a standing ovation that was loud and heartfelt. That crowd may not have been the biggest but it was a great group of fans who were clearly aware of how the team has been performing and were showing their appreciation.

This is the D-Rays we're talking about, they may buy it. :mischief

 

Seriously though as much as I'd love Crawford we probably don't want to give up what it will take to get him.

 

Yeah, they're real dumb. They gave up Viktor Zambrano and got back Scott Kazmir. We can easily bamboozle them.

 

:rolleyes:

I like Alfredo's bat in the lineup right now but I don't know if he is good enough defensively.

 

I still think the Marlins are most in trouble at the catcher position but that may not be too much of a disadvantage because so are most teams.

 

Fredo looked terribly overmatched at the plate yesterday.

So have Hanley, Borchard, and Abercrombie. Don't get me wrong, I would love to get someone in CF but I just hope it will be a substantial improvement. Ross has been pretty solid but that Borchard acquisition has been pretty worthless.

 

 

Hanley has looked anything BUT overmatched. You see his ABs??? It's a 2-2 or 3-2 count everytime. His ABs are great...just isn't hitting.

Ross has been pretty solid but that Borchard acquisition has been pretty worthless.

Ross: .229/.325/.429 = "pretty solid"

 

Borchard: .250/.351/.406 = "pretty worthless"

 

:plainRoss hadn't been give consistent ABs until Willingham got hurt. Look at his numbers since the San Diego series. He has certainly stepped up with an injured Willingam, a struggling Hanley, and an almost non-existant centerfielder.

 

In this case I would most definitely look beyond the numbers. That is how you determine the worth of an acquisition.Ah, beyond the numbers. Okay.

 

Hey I'm not dumping on Ross either. I think they've both been fine. Matter of fact I think if the Marlins are shopping for a CF, unless it's a nice prospect or a guy who's "legit", I'd rather they just stick with our guys & platoon Amezaga, Ross, Borchard, Hermida, etc in the outfield.

 

 

I wonder what it would seriously take to get Crawford...

I like Alfredo's bat in the lineup right now but I don't know if he is good enough defensively.

 

I still think the Marlins are most in trouble at the catcher position but that may not be too much of a disadvantage because so are most teams.

 

Fredo looked terribly overmatched at the plate yesterday but he made several good plays in CF including an absolutely fabulous, right on the money throw home that held a runner at third and supercharged the stadium.

That throw was outstanding! Speaking of supercharging the stadium, it was a very lively crowd yesterday. I don't know how long you stayed after the game ended but after the high-fives were done the remaining fans gave the team a standing ovation that was loud and heartfelt. That crowd may not have been the biggest but it was a great group of fans who were clearly aware of how the team has been performing and were showing their appreciation. Yeah, that ovation was awesome last night. It was a very lively crowd. Nice change to see.

why dont we go after an adam stern or someone like that...young, cheap and could be had without giving up a fortune

 

 

 

I'm pretty sure Beinfest would....anyone have a list of guys like that? AA or AAA young OFers who may be ready?

 

I'd love someone like Matt Kemp or some of the D-Back young OFers maybe for Petit or Pinto.

love to give up a pettit for chris young trade or something along those lines.

 

but dont see it happening really

Crawford would be an ideal trade target for us. He would fill a huge void at CF (i'm assuming he could play there w/ no problem) and he is signed for a very reasonable contract that i believe has 4 years remaining.

 

I like the idea of waiting until next year so as to fully evaluate our pitching before making any rash decisions. But if Tampa is feeling the need to do somehting now, then we should be ready to pounce. We would have to pay a hefty price...Willis and a lower level pitcher or two of our top prospects etc. But you have to give to get and this could definitely be a win win trade. They have no pitching outside Kazmir and we have tons.

 

No need for us to overpay (as that is Tampas MO) but it is certainly a trade we should look at very seriously.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.