The Future is here!

President Giuliani has a nice ring to it. I know everyone doesn't think he will win but I do. With all the Bush bashing going on, the Republicans will need need a more moderate candidate- not someone like Bill Frist.

RUDY, RUDY, RUDY!......Our #1 goal is the war on terror and this guy is #1!

Giuliani considering 2008 presidential run

By BEN NUCKOLS, Associated Press Writer

1 hour, 33 minutes ago

BALTIMORE - Former New York City mayor Rudolph Giuliani said he is "seriously considering" a run for president in 2008. But he reiterated, as he has in many campaign-style appearances, that he was focused on the 2006 midterm elections. He said he would continue to travel the country to gauge the breadth of his support and his ability to raise the money needed for a presidential bid.

"Eventually, when you make the decision, you have to go through a kind of soul-searching about how much you think you can bring to it," Giuliani said.

Giuliani and Maryland Gov. Robert Ehrlich hailed each other as fellow moderates Wednesday, and Giuliani said Ehrlich has provided the kind of leadership that states around the country need.

Speaking to reporters at a fundraiser for Ehrlich's re-election bid, Giuliani said he has been a longtime supporter of Ehrlich and admires his commitment to fiscal discipline.

"This is the kind of governor we need throughout the country," Giuliani said. "There are a lot of states that need this kind of leadership."

Without specifically addressing Giuliani's presidential ambitions, Ehrlich said the former mayor would be a very strong candidate if he were ever on the ballot in Maryland.

"Philosophically, his views are in the mainstream of where Maryland is," Ehrlich said. "Clearly, there's a lot of compatibility with my views on a variety of issues."

With supporters paying $4,000 a ticket, Wednesday's reception at a downtown Baltimore hotel collected at least $500,000 for Ehrlich's campaign. Donors posed for pictures with Giuliani and the governor.

The event capped a three-day fundraising blitz that also brought Giuliani to Ohio, Arkansas, Illinois and Pennsylvania.

He's following a path typically trod by potential candidates, who often campaign for their party's nominees or make appearances in states critical to a presidential bid. Pennsylvania, Illinois and Ohio are considered key battleground states in 2008.

In Maryland, where Democrats outnumber Republicans 2 to 1, Ehrlich is running what appears to be a tight race against Democrat Martin O'Malley, the popular mayor of Baltimore.

Ehrlich and Giuliani disputed a claim by O'Malley's campaign spokesman that they took different positions on Dubai's aborted bid to run six U.S. ports, including Baltimore's. Both said they thought the deal had the potential to make U.S. ports safer, but that it was handled the wrong way politically by the Bush administration.

Giuliani needled the mayor for bringing up the Dubai ports deal.

"I think that's been over for about six months now," Giuliani said, drawing laughter from the crowd. "I would think for the people of Maryland, what you can do about your schools, what you can do about the kind of crime that's in Baltimore, I would think that maybe a little more focus on that might help."

Giuliani is notable for breaking with GOP orthodoxy on many issues, including abortion rights and gay rights, both of which he supports. Ehrlich also has positioned himself as a moderate on such issues, bolstering his efforts to court Democrats much as Giuliani did in New York.

"You can't get elected in New York City nor in Maryland without doing that," said Bo Harmon, Ehrlich's campaign manager.

Giuliani acknowledged that in a presidential bid, he would have to rally supporters in states where voters have more conservative leanings. He believes, though, that he could have a broad appeal.

"Sure, there are divisions between red states and blue states, but Americans are more similar than they are different," Giuliani said.

This election will have to do with the war more than anything. America needs a leader stronger than ever at this time.

With all the crazy dictators in the world today, we need someone to stand up to them. Giuliani is the guy. Abortion, guns, gays are top issues and I disagree with most of them with Rudy BUT Rudy is probably the BEST leader there is right now.

And we need a LEADER.....issues like gays and guns can be put on hold. We need someone to lead us during these scary times in the world.....

This election will have to do with the war more than anything. America needs a leader stronger than ever at this time.

With all the crazy dictators in the world today, we need someone to stand up to them. Giuliani is the guy. Abortion, guns, gays are top issues and I disagree with most of them with Rudy BUT Rudy is probably the BEST leader there is right now.

And we need a LEADER.....issues like gays and guns can be put on hold. We need someone to lead us during these scary times in the world.....

what about our own crazy dictator? :whistle ...and those issues should not be on hold...actually...i dont even see how they are issues...gays are people who are guarenteed equal protection under the law...and who are we to say that if 2 people love each other that they cant marry...and guns...would you be referring to the outdated 2nd amendment?

Youre not understanding my question. Im not saying how things should be. Yes that may be your view. Im asking you how Guliani is going to survive when other equally ambitious politicians start running ads in S. Carolina saying that if Guliani is elected, he is going to have gays living in your house and will take your guns away. Even if you dont think they will be the big issue, the other people will make them a big issue. You cant honestly think he can avoid this.

I think guiliani can survive the primaries mostly b/c of New Hampshire. He'll probably win in new hampshire and gain the momentum necessary to carry himself to a win.

That would be nice, but I'm not convinced that the Republican party would support a moderate candidate like him. The party has been moving further to the right ever since Bush's election.

He would probably make a good president, but I simply cannot and will not support him because of his stance on firearms.

One reason why I don't think he will do well in the South at all.

Maybe you can get him on the Republican ticket as the VP, but that's probably it.

McCain/Giuliani wouldn't be bad.

He would probably make a good president, but I simply cannot and will not support him because of his stance on firearms.

One reason why I don't think he will do well in the South at all.

Maybe you can get him on the Republican ticket as the VP, but that's probably it.

McCain/Giuliani wouldn't be bad.

There are more than 85 million law abiding citizens who own firearms in this country, if he doesn't have their support he's screwed.

I find it interesting a republican rooting for a candidate who opposes three subjects, such as abortion, guns and gays just by virtue of the fact that the candidate is a republican.

If McCain and Giulliani were to run together (in any fashion, although I'd assume McCain gets the nod before the big G) it'd be a tough ticket to beat. Depending on their competition and how they showed, they might walk away with my vote. Unfortunately this is merely a fantasy on my part. I don't see it happening. Can you imagine them running the two republican nuts, TOGETHER? I don't personally think they have the balls.

I find it interesting a republican rooting for a candidate who opposes three subjects, such as abortion, guns and gays just by virtue of the fact that the candidate is a republican.

If McCain and Giulliani were to run together (in any fashion, although I'd assume McCain gets the nod before the big G) it'd be a tough ticket to beat. Depending on their competition and how they showed, they might walk away with my vote. Unfortunately this is merely a fantasy on my part. I don't see it happening. Can you imagine them running the two republican nuts, TOGETHER? I don't personally think they have the balls.

Mcain/guiliani would never win together. Too moderate. The republican party lately has been veering further and further away from true conservative values of balancing the budget and fiscal responsiblity. If either of these guys runs they need a neocon as VP to win over those votes. Guiliani is a true conservative with a NE twist. His stance on firearms was necessary for NYC, where crime was at a high, but he was able to reduce crime, expand the economy, and improve NY, not to mention he has the sentimental value of 9/11 mayor.

Simply put, he is in a tough position. McCain has to put aside his maverick ways if he is going to win the nomination. But his recent gay marriage vote shows he still has principles. Those principles might cost him. But unlike Guliani, enough Republicans might not see gay marriage as such a vital issue and could send him to the nomination. However I think his position on immigration will ultimately cost him the nomination.

But if he does win the nomination, I dont think enough general election voters will catch his recent pandering and will still see him as a maverick, whether or not it is true.

ok...i realize that this could come back and bite me...and even though the democrats are offering very little in the same of a suitable candidate...but i just dont see how america votes republican in 08...i mean damn...hasnt this country been screwed up enough in the past 6 years that people realize...hey...bush isnt a good president and the direction the republican party seems to be taking us in could lead to the end of the world...hmmm...not good

ok...i realize that this could come back and bite me...and even though the democrats are offering very little in the same of a suitable candidate...but i just dont see how america votes republican in 08...i mean damn...hasnt this country been screwed up enough in the past 6 years that people realize...hey...bush isnt a good president and the direction the republican party seems to be taking us in could lead to the end of the world...hmmm...not good

B/c if you'd use logical reasoning, you'd realize that mccain and guiliani are republicans but are completely different than Bush. In fact a nomination of either of them will show that the republican party isnt going in the same direction Bush wants to take it. Guiliani in particular would bring reformist ideals to spending. I dont like McCain at all, and if he gets the nod I'm most likely voting democrat.

Giuliani's past would come up and hurt him on morale stances as well. Which southern republicans and democrats would look at heavily.

Overall though he is so moderate unless they latched him to a hard core southern republican it would be hard to see him carrying alot of the south. Specially if the Dems run some southern democrats (if there is any left).

Giuliani's past would come up and hurt him on morale stances as well. Which southern republicans and democrats would look at heavily.

Overall though he is so moderate unless they latched him to a hard core southern republican it would be hard to see him carrying alot of the south. Specially if the Dems run some southern democrats (if there is any left).

I feel the dems are running hillary, so if guiliani survives the primary, I still feel that guiliani wins the south against hillary.