Florida Marlins in 2007

Wild Card

How does everybody think we'll progress next year? This is what I think about everything:

Catcher: ?

Personally I think, and hope, we re-sign Olivo. He's been as productive as you could ask, both offensively and defensively. He won't get any better, but he knows our staff and has handled them extremely well.

First: Mike Jacobs

I see Jacobs becoming the player everyone thought he'd be. I don't know if that transformation is going to happen next year or in 2008, but I do see it happening. He certainly has the power capabilites to be a 30/100 guy, and his patience continues to improve. He really could become an extremely productive ball player.

Second: Dan Uggla

Honestly, I don't see Uggla becoming too much better than he already is. He will probably continue to be a 25-30 HR, 90-100 RBI, .280-.300 threat for the next few years. Physically, he won't be getting any bigger. The only thing I see him really improving on is his patience. He's kind of a free swinger right now, and if he can start swinging at some better pitches he'll do a lot more damage.

Third: Miguel Cabrera

He's already as good as you can ask a player to be. BUT, he should DEFINITELY improve on his numbers from this year. His on-base totals may go down because nobody will be pitching around him nearly as much as they did this year, but his HR's will surely be a lot higher. Next year, nobody will be underestimating the guys surrounding him in the lineup, and he'll definitely get a lot better selection at the plate.

Shortstop: Hanley Ramirez

Hanley came to us both just as advertised, or a lot better, depending on who you listened to. I see his ceiling higher than anyone but Cabrera's (obviously). He's already a fantastic contact hitter, and sprays the ball to all fields. He's already got 50-60 stolen base capabiliy. If Hanley can start being a little more patient at the plate and get the OBP around .360, he's going to be incredible. He has a frame that reminds me of a young Alex Rodriguez. He's certainly going to gain a lot more mass, and when he does, his power numbers will have unlimited potential. Not to mention he's only 22-years-old.

Left: Josh Willingham

Willingham makes me think of Jacobs, except he's already got a head start. He's got good patience, good power, good contact. I think Josh has the ability to be a guy with great patience, great power, and good contact. He should be able to reach base at a clip around .380 eventually, and the home runs could very well reach 30+ withtin the next two years. He is a little older, but better late than never.

Center: ?

Who has any idea... The only person in the organization I can see here next year is Eric Reed, but that won't happen. We'll wait to do this.

Right: Jeremy Hermida

I don't know what has happened to Hermida this year, but I think we all know what he is capable of. If healthy, I once again expect nothing short of a .290/20/80 season from Hermida next year. He's another youngin' just like Hanley, so he's got time. I also don't expect anything short of a .380 on-base from him. There's a reason he had over 100 walks in the minors last year.

With Olivo, Uggla, Willingham and maybe Jacobs (I'm still not sold on him as a 30 HR guy), what you see is what you get.

Cabrera, Hanley and Hermida should improve markedly, though.

Cabrera's slugging % should come up, even if his OBP decreases (I think next year he turns into the .330/40/130 force we all know he's going to be).

Hanley will likely do 20-20 with ease and Hermida will hopefully get his head out of his ass.

Really, what I hope more than anything out of the last two is improved defense.

I think experience from this year shuld carry over into next year and we will play a lot better. What is surprising to me is how we are making our own BullPen and producing from our own talented core rather then spedning 100 mill on a closer like some greedy franchice in NY. I think we need to add a few more arms in the pen, we should keep Borowkski, we will have tank in there too and I wouldn't mind giving Herges nother year seeing how well he has secretly redeemed himself these past few months. If Moe is back, it's hopefully for LR purposes.

Worried about

Hermida- I have a feeling he is going to get better but I am still worried.

Olivo- Too streaking. I think we should aquire a young catcher in the off season.

Will get even better

Hanley- He is going to be good. Very good.

Hammer- He has a good eye and aggressive. I see him hitting around .290 next season.

Jake- He just needs to be paitent. When he does that he is good.

Probably stay the same

Uggla- If he has another year like this, I will be happy.

Miggy is just good.

We NEED a CF'er!!!!

Guest ShaqandWade323

Here are, I think, the three biggest on the roster questions for the '07 team:

Can Willingham hit .300 to go with his 25 or so homers?

Can Jakey learn to hit lefties?

Will the real Jeremy Hermida please stand up?

If he got more at-bats, probably, he did hit that game winner off a lefty a few games back, right? And I rather hit 15 homers, hit .300, and gets an OBP over .370 rather than someone who hits .275, hits 25 homers, and gets on at a .320 clip.

I'm not sold on any of the outfielders.

Willingham belongs on the team, but he really needs to work on his outfield play in the offseason IMO. His routes to balls scare me, but I like his bat.

I pray that Abercrombie develops into the player that he should be. He's one of the funniest and nicest guys around, and has a ton of natural talent.

I think Hermida will continue to be a letdown. I also think this stems from the fact that he hit that grand slam in his first AB in the bigs, and was instantly proclaimed as the next great phenom.

Cody Ross is a gamer and I absolutely love that about him. He's hardnosed and always wants to play, he leaves it all out there on the field.

That said, none of them have impressed me to the point that I think they have jobs for next season already.

Nobody will regress?

First let me say that i love the fish, and think that many years of victories are ahead of us. However the question was posed, and noone wants to look at it.

Ok, who will regress?

Olivo is unlikely to put up those numbers again.This is why we should look for a young catcher more in line with the age and talent level of the rest of our young team. Someone who can grow with them.

Uggla will likely regress. His season has ben WAYYYYYYYY overperforming what he's likely to do in the future.

Josh Johnson is not likely to keep up his 2.87 ERA. WHY NOT? Cause that would put him ahead of all the best active pitchers in baseball (Minimum of 1000 IP, 3000 PA and 100 decisions for career and active leaderboards for rate statistics.)

Rank Player (age) ERA Throws

1. Pedro Martinez (33) 2.718 R

2. Greg Maddux (39) 3.015 R

3. Randy Johnson* (41) 3.113 L

4. Roger Clemens (42) 3.122 R

5. John Smoltz (38) 3.257 R

6. Kevin Brown (40) 3.275 R

7. Tim Hudson (29) 3.329 R

8. Curt Schilling (38) 3.401 R

9. Mike Jackson (40) 3.416 R

10. Tom Glavine* (39) 3.444 L

11. Barry Zito* (27) 3.498 L

12. Mike Timlin (39) 3.502 R

13. Matt Morris (30) 3.607 R

14. Mark Buehrle* (26) 3.632 L

15. Mike Mussina (36) 3.641 R

16. Kerry Wood (28) 3.668 R

17. Roy Halladay (28) 3.701 R

18. Kevin Appier (37) 3.738 R

19. Kevin Millwood (30) 3.763 R

20. Andy Pettitte* (33) 3.775 L

Wow, i can't believe there's only one 5-year veteran active pitcher with a career ERA under 3.00 That's insane.

Nobody will regress?

First let me say that i love the fish, and think that many years of victories are ahead of us. However the question was posed, and noone wants to look at it.

Ok, who will regress?

Olivo is unlikely to put up those numbers again.This is why we should look for a young catcher more in line with the age and talent level of the rest of our young team. Someone who can grow with them.

Uggla will likely regress. His season has ben WAYYYYYYYY overperforming what he's likely to do in the future.

Josh Johnson is not likely to keep up his 2.87 ERA. WHY NOT? Cause that would put him ahead of all the best active pitchers in baseball (Minimum of 1000 IP, 3000 PA and 100 decisions for career and active leaderboards for rate statistics.)

Rank Player (age) ERA Throws

1. Pedro Martinez (33) 2.718 R

2. Greg Maddux (39) 3.015 R

3. Randy Johnson* (41) 3.113 L

4. Roger Clemens (42) 3.122 R

5. John Smoltz (38) 3.257 R

6. Kevin Brown (40) 3.275 R

7. Tim Hudson (29) 3.329 R

8. Curt Schilling (38) 3.401 R

9. Mike Jackson (40) 3.416 R

10. Tom Glavine* (39) 3.444 L

11. Barry Zito* (27) 3.498 L

12. Mike Timlin (39) 3.502 R

13. Matt Morris (30) 3.607 R

14. Mark Buehrle* (26) 3.632 L

15. Mike Mussina (36) 3.641 R

16. Kerry Wood (28) 3.668 R

17. Roy Halladay (28) 3.701 R

18. Kevin Appier (37) 3.738 R

19. Kevin Millwood (30) 3.763 R

20. Andy Pettitte* (33) 3.775 L

Wow, i can't believe there's only one 5-year veteran active pitcher with a career ERA under 3.00 That's insane.

thats what roids+smaller ballparks+advanced scouting and dvd's to see every tendency

Here are, I think, the three biggest on the roster questions for the '07 team:

Can Willingham hit .300 to go with his 25 or so homers?

Can Jakey learn to hit lefties?

Will the real Jeremy Hermida please stand up?

Willingham doesn't need to hit .300,it would be nice, but as long as he continues to put up a .350+ OBP with a .490 Slg % , we'll be fine.

How does everybody think we'll progress next year? This is what I think about everything:

Catcher: ?

Personally I think, and hope, we re-sign Olivo. He's been as productive as you could ask, both offensively and defensively. He won't get any better, but he knows our staff and has handled them extremely well.

First: Mike Jacobs

I see Jacobs becoming the player everyone thought he'd be. I don't know if that transformation is going to happen next year or in 2008, but I do see it happening. He certainly has the power capabilites to be a 30/100 guy, and his patience continues to improve. He really could become an extremely productive ball player.

Second: Dan Uggla

Honestly, I don't see Uggla becoming too much better than he already is. He will probably continue to be a 25-30 HR, 90-100 RBI, .280-.300 threat for the next few years. Physically, he won't be getting any bigger. The only thing I see him really improving on is his patience. He's kind of a free swinger right now, and if he can start swinging at some better pitches he'll do a lot more damage.

Third: Miguel Cabrera

He's already as good as you can ask a player to be. BUT, he should DEFINITELY improve on his numbers from this year. His on-base totals may go down because nobody will be pitching around him nearly as much as they did this year, but his HR's will surely be a lot higher. Next year, nobody will be underestimating the guys surrounding him in the lineup, and he'll definitely get a lot better selection at the plate.

Shortstop: Hanley Ramirez

Hanley came to us both just as advertised, or a lot better, depending on who you listened to. I see his ceiling higher than anyone but Cabrera's (obviously). He's already a fantastic contact hitter, and sprays the ball to all fields. He's already got 50-60 stolen base capabiliy. If Hanley can start being a little more patient at the plate and get the OBP around .360, he's going to be incredible. He has a frame that reminds me of a young Alex Rodriguez. He's certainly going to gain a lot more mass, and when he does, his power numbers will have unlimited potential. Not to mention he's only 22-years-old.

Left: Josh Willingham

Willingham makes me think of Jacobs, except he's already got a head start. He's got good patience, good power, good contact. I think Josh has the ability to be a guy with great patience, great power, and good contact. He should be able to reach base at a clip around .380 eventually, and the home runs could very well reach 30+ withtin the next two years. He is a little older, but better late than never.

Center: ?

Who has any idea... The only person in the organization I can see here next year is Eric Reed, but that won't happen. We'll wait to do this.

Right: Jeremy Hermida

I don't know what has happened to Hermida this year, but I think we all know what he is capable of. If healthy, I once again expect nothing short of a .290/20/80 season from Hermida next year. He's another youngin' just like Hanley, so he's got time. I also don't expect anything short of a .380 on-base from him. There's a reason he had over 100 walks in the minors last year.

Personally I wouldn't mind keeping Cody Ross, but we must sadly rid ourselves of him and plug in a good YOUNG defensive centerfielder with great contact. I don't see Hermida amounting to much.

Side NOTE: I believe Olivo is under our control for next year. I am about 50% sure.

Hermida went to the Arizona Fall League at the end of the 2004 season he spent in A. He was a highly touted prospect. But some were worried that he hadn't developed into the minor league player everyone predicted he would be on his way to greatness in the majors. So he went to the AFL where he faced the best AA and AAA talent around (atleast batting talent but that's another story). Despite coming off his best minor league so far, he struggled against this level of competition. He walked much less he expected and struck out a whole lot more than anyone expected. A few months down the line, he's assigned to AA to start the season. That year he put it all together. The bat is there. The fielding, power, speed, batting eye... everything.

Hermida will do that in the majors. Just give him time.

Hermida went to the Arizona Fall League at the end of the 2004 season he spent in A. He was a highly touted prospect. But some were worried that he hadn't developed into the minor league player everyone predicted he would be on his way to greatness in the majors. So he went to the AFL where he faced the best AA and AAA talent around (atleast batting talent but that's another story). Despite coming off his best minor league so far, he struggled against this level of competition. He walked much less he expected and struck out a whole lot more than anyone expected. A few months down the line, he's assigned to AA to start the season. That year he put it all together. The bat is there. The fielding, power, speed, batting eye... everything.

Hermida will do that in the majors. Just give him time.

Perfect post. I agree with it all. He has EVERYTHING he needs to succeed at this level, just give it a little more time. He's still extremely young.

I think experience from this year shuld carry over into next year and we will play a lot better. What is surprising to me is how we are making our own BullPen and producing from our own talented core rather then spedning 100 mill on a closer like some greedy franchice in NY. I think we need to add a few more arms in the pen, we should keep Borowkski, we will have tank in there too and I wouldn't mind giving Herges nother year seeing how well he has secretly redeemed himself these past few months. If Moe is back, it's hopefully for LR purposes.

Agree 100%. Experience is everything it seems.