Congratulations to Vanden Hurk

So.. do you give him another chance? Temporarily put him on our rotation? Or was today a fluke?

By the way... everytime treanor catches, our pitchers seem to be having incredible games.

Other interesting facts, Mitre has pitched 23.5 innings without a run. What a beast, however, he just seem to have the worse luck when it comes to not picking up the W. He should be 6-2 as it stands.

Damn Pinto, he should be traded quickly, he needs a "change in scenery".

On the one hand, he is not durable enough to go deep into games yet and needs to get stronger in the minors. OTOH, This team and organization was built on raw, talented pitching. I say give him a chance in the rotation, send Wes to the minors and let this talented bullpen back him up.

1st of many more to come, though I suspect if we're in it at the deadline, they'll be in another uniform.

Way to come up huge when the team needed him to, just fantastic tonight.

noooo! His value isn't as high as it should be.

1st of many more to come, though I suspect if we're in it at the deadline, they'll be in another uniform.

Way to come up huge when the team needed him to, just fantastic tonight.

I hadn't really considered him as trade bait. We're certainly a team lacking in real tradeable commodities in the minor leagues because most of our pitching prospects are at the lower levels, and we don't have hitting prospects because our organization doesn't believe in drafting good hitters.

One the one hand, he is not durable enough to go deep into games yet and needs to get stronger in the minors. OTOH, This team and organization was built on raw, talented pitching. I say give him a chance in the rotation, send Wes to the minors and let this talented bullpen back him up.

We can't outright Wes, and we'd likely lose him on the waiver wire.

If I say he ought to be sent back down everyone will jump down my throat but that said - as I suggested about not rushing Josh Johnson back - I look at the huge improvement the kid showed tonight from his earlier starts and I have to at least consider the notion that perhaps another month, maybe two in the minors (read, another five to ten starts) working on what he learned tonight (with maybe another ML appearance along the way) might pay more dividends down the line than throwing him out there every five days at the MLB level starting five days from now.

If I say he ought to be sent back down everyone will jump down my throat but that said - as I suggested about not rushing Josh Johnson back - I look at the huge improvement the kid showed tonight from his earlier starts and I have to at least consider the notion that perhaps another month, maybe two in the minors (read, another five to ten starts) working on what he learned tonight (with maybe another ML appearance along the way) might pay more dividends down the line than throwing him out there every five days at the MLB level starting five days from now.

I think the yo-yo would be a road block to his development, unless the callup is an emergency start.

I agree that he should/will go down and that in turn will be what's best for the Marlins, and for him. We send him down with a no-hard-feelings demotion, he's protected from a potential knock-around in his next start, he gets to go down to a level that he should handle easily, and the Marlins get to build off this showcase start with assumably stellar minor league numbers.

I say this because I believe he's really emerged as our primary trade-bait. I'm sure that more than a few advance scouts were at the game because of Smoltz and I'm sure most of them went home overly impressed by Vandy. My hope is that one of those scouts works for a team that have a young centerfielder we could use.

If he gets sent back down it should be to AAA where he can face guys not quite at MLB level, but the next best thing. That way he can work on his stuff at a level of competition suited to him.

A lot of organizations (the Marlins included) feel that AA is closer to the majors than AAA, where you generally see a lot of AAAA players and retreads rather than stud young talent.

Our two biggest trade baits right now besides D-Train are Vanden Hurk and Mitre...so of these two, which one do you trade TSwift?

If Sanchez and JJ are healthy and effective, whoever gets you more...and of course we have to be in it to pay inseason prices.

If he gets sent back down it should be to AAA where he can face guys not quite at MLB level, but the next best thing. That way he can work on his stuff at a level of competition suited to him.

A lot of organizations (the Marlins included) feel that AA is closer to the majors than AAA, where you generally see a lot of AAAA players and retreads rather than stud young talent.

Our two biggest trade baits right now besides D-Train are Vanden Hurk and Mitre...so of these two, which one do you trade TSwift?

If Sanchez and JJ are healthy and effective, whoever gets you more...and of course we have to be in it to pay inseason prices.

That's a good point about young stud talent.

I've always thought of AAA as full of guys that either weren't quite good enough for the MLB or on their very last test before the MLB. So I generally think that the lineups might not have that one guy that dominates, but are more solid all around.

If I am not mistaken, only a handful of organizations use AAA as a developmental stop nowadays.

D-Rays seem to be one. The Cardinals are as well.

Just not really necessary any longer with the amount of raw talent top to bottom in AA. Plus high A is a much better stop nowadays as well.

I wouldn't trade Mitre...this guy is showing the kind of pitching talent that others in our organization only flashed. I'm just not sure that a midseason trade where we give up the most solid guy in our rotation is gonna improve us because the type of player we need isn't going to be on the market.

If I am not mistaken, only a handful of organizations use AAA as a developmental stop nowadays.

D-Rays seem to be one. The Cardinals are as well.

Just not really necessary any longer with the amount of raw talent top to bottom in AA. Plus high A is a much better stop nowadays as well.

High A seems to be the place where legitimate prospects are sorted out from the rest, at least in our organization. Then again, we hardly ever have our guys do well in High A.

I've always thought of AAA as full of guys that either weren't quite good enough for the MLB or on their very last test before the MLB. So I generally think that the lineups might not have that one guy that dominates, but are more solid all around.

Also you have to factor in that our triple A affiliate is a launching pad hitters league and I do not want any pitching prospects there.

Also you have to factor in that our triple A affiliate is a launching pad hitters league and I do not want any pitching prospects there.

I think generally our organizational pitchers are brought up from Double A not because of wanting to avoid triple A, but because our organizational needs dictate it. For some reason we haven't much top-level minor league talent, firesales will do that to you but we've always needed our young prospects before they reach their triple A year.