The Braves and The Umpires defeat the Marlins 6-5

Refs excuse = the worst excuse ever.

When they make 2 obviously bad calls in favor of runners who ended up scoring in a game that ended up being lost by 1 run, it's a pretty good reason.

Who gives a hoot? ...The ref card is weak and can be played every game!

So you agreed with the calls?

Still haven't answered.

My goodness was that nauseating to watch.

We didn't lose, we flat out got screwed.

Also, shame shame shame on Fredi for not getting ejected, in a situation like that YOU HAVE TO STAND UP FOR YOUR GUYS BETTER. Period.

I agree completely. To see Fredi not chew out the ump was incredible. As someone who worked with Cox for so long you would think he would be the first to know that.

If someone can, post a video or some screenshots of those two plays.

I would but last time I did i got caught by the MLB for copyright violation.

They have refs in basketball chief.

In baseball we call them umpires.

:thumbup

Semantics. The same rule applies. It's the lowest that a fan can stoop.

They did affect the outcome of this game. Recognizing that is not stooping low. This would be stooping low:

June 27, 2000: The Atlanta Braves back off from their decision to bar from their chartered flights four team announcers who had raised questions about the catcher's box at Turner Field. After TBS discussed the width of the catcher's box in a game against the Brewers three days ago, Skip Caray, Pete Van Wieren, Joe Simpson and Don Sutton were kicked off a flight to Montreal and had to take a commercial flight. TBS aired a video showing the catcher's box was four to five inches smaller than it was the previous night, when Milwaukee management complained about where Braves catcher Javy Lopez was setting up. Opposing teams have long said that Atlanta pitchers are given the benefit of an extra-wide strike zone, particularly on the outside corners. Catchers who set up wide of the plate can increase the chances of an outside pitch being called a strike. The video was shown after a rare balk call against Fernando Lunar, the Braves catcher. Home-plate umpire John Shulock ruled that Lunar set up with his right foot outside the 43-inch-wide box. The balk led to Milwaukee's first run and a heated argument between Shulock and Braves manager Bobby Cox, who was ejected. Atlanta lost the game 2-1.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlib...anta_Braves.stm

My goodness was that nauseating to watch.

We didn't lose, we flat out got screwed.

Also, shame shame shame on Fredi for not getting ejected, in a situation like that YOU HAVE TO STAND UP FOR YOUR GUYS BETTER. Period.

I'm not one to blame umpires for a loss, but damn. This one had me scratching my head. I thought Renteria was out. I didn't see how Hanley could be called for interference. It was like giving 5 outs to the Braves in that inning. But being at the game we didn't have the benefit of instant replay. Also one that hasn't benn whined about here: I thought Matt fouled off on that squeeze attempt. What did the replay show?

I gotta agree with the Fredi thing. I thought for sure when he came out after that interference call he would pitch a fit. That is still my only real complaint about our rookie manager this year. I would like to see him fired up more.

Regardless. We still left too many guys in scoring position without getting them to cross the plate. It was nice to see them fight back in the 8th and 9th to make this a very interesting game. The ball boy got booed soundly for missing two balls in a row (8th inning?). Then Jeremy looked like he took some lessons from him on the very next one. Kinda vindicated the kid, but sure is changing my opinion on Jeremy's fielding abilities.

Fireworks were nice. When did they start doing them before the concert? Joan Jett did a fine job. I really liked that new blimp flying overhead with the simulcast of the concert. Real nice touch.

The loudest Braves fans in our section were from Royal Palm Beach cheering their lungs out for Salty. All with brand new Braves hats on. You get the idea I think. It was also alot of fun to cheer on Andruw Mendoza for the nice breezes he was giving us.

And a big thanks for all you that would rather watch the game at home instead of going to the game on such a perfect night for baseball with so much bang for the entertainment buck. It is great being able to just drive right onto the turnpike after the festivities with no hassles at all.

When they make 2 obviously bad calls in favor of runners who ended up scoring in a game that ended up being lost by 1 run, it's a pretty good reason.

Who gives a hoot? ...The ref card is weak and can be played every game!

1. They're umpires, this isn't basketball or football.

2. No one ever blames the "refs" unless it's obvious like tonight. Like I said, this isn't basketball or football.

3. All the blame goes to Hermida.

x3.

I'd have been thrown out all the way from the dugout by then. He looked like he was discussing when they'd be meeting for tea & crumpets later.

Using semantics as your alibi?

:rolleyes:

Only a very casual baseball fan would call an umpire a "ref" but thanks for playing.

Very rarely do you see threads on this website that blame umpires for bad calls. 98% of the time posters will call out Marlins players or manager/coaches.

Tonight there were a minimum of TWO blown calls by the "refs" as you would refer to them.

We scored four runs in the last two innings without Fredi getting ejected. Would him getting tossed score us that last one? I think the guys themselves realized they were getting screwed and *gasp* could motivate themselves without seeing their manager get thrown out.

We scored four runs in the last two innings without Fredi getting ejected. Would him getting tossed score us that last one? I think the guys themselves realized they were getting screwed and *gasp* could motivate themselves without seeing their manager get thrown out.

Well, when a couple of people in my section are about to pop blood vessels, and Miggy and Hanly are both arguing with an umpire to the point of throwing up their hands, the manager has to protect them better and fire up a PO'd crowd.

Ejections in the right circumstances can be wonderful for team morale. It may not win that individual game, but it changes the feel tremendously for games down the road. Case in point, the Cubs are something like 9 games over .500 since Piniella threw his tirade.

Also, I hate Fredi, so quite frankly I hope it happens, but in my opinion, he's on the real fast track to getting John Boles'd...and that means we're back to square one, again.

Wouldn't the lowest a fan can stoop be cheering for an organization that exploits an oppressed and abused culture and mockingly spits on their culture for fan entertainment, or have you forgotten Cheif Knock-a-homer?

If someone can, post a video or some screenshots of those two plays.

This is the best I could do with the video I had. I couldn't get the Renteria play at third b/c the video I had completley skipped the play...

I know you really can't see the play there but they never reshowed the overhead view in the game recap video.

[ Fireworks were nice. When did they start doing them before the concert? Joan Jett did a fine job. I really liked that new blimp flying overhead with the simulcast of the concert. Real nice touch.

I've been to all the Super Saturday games and they always did them after the concert. I guess they did it differently because it was their 4th of July celebration.

Well, when a couple of people in my section are about to pop blood vessels, and Miggy and Hanly are both arguing with an umpire to the point of throwing up their hands, the manager has to protect them better and fire up a PO'd crowd.

Ejections in the right circumstances can be wonderful for team morale. It may not win that individual game, but it changes the feel tremendously for games down the road. Case in point, the Cubs are something like 9 games over .500 since Piniella threw his tirade.

Also, I hate Fredi, so quite frankly I hope it happens, but in my opinion, he's on the real fast track to getting John Boles'd...and that means we're back to square one, again.

I certainly understand fans wanting a manager to get ejected, but when a manager goes out to argue, the furthest thing on his mind probably is arguing to fire up the crowd.

I certainly understand fans wanting a manager to get ejected, but when a manager goes out to argue, the furthest thing on his mind probably is arguing to fire up the crowd.

No, but a manager clearly goes out there understanding the emotion of the situation.

At the time, the game was certainly still in question, the team was angry, the crowd was reacting violently..."good" managers run with emotion like that. There's a reason Lou Piniella keeps getting a job despite a subpar performance in the W/L column befitting one of the "big 3" managers of our era (Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre and Sweet Lou), and guys like John Boles are sitting in the scouts section at Pro Player.

There's a tremendous difference between knowing and understanding baseball and knowing how to control the ebb and flow of a game.

No, but a manager clearly goes out there understanding the emotion of the situation.

At the time, the game was certainly still in question, the team was angry, the crowd was reacting violently..."good" managers run with emotion like that. There's a reason Lou Piniella keeps getting a job despite a subpar performance in the W/L column befitting one of the "big 3" managers of our era (Tony LaRussa, Joe Torre and Sweet Lou), and guys like John Boles are sitting in the scouts section at Pro Player.

There's a tremendous difference between knowing and understanding baseball and knowing how to control the ebb and flow of a game.

I completely agree! I've been giving Fredi the benefit of the doubt but that was unnerving. That situation called for showing emotion and outright anger. It sucks when the fans feel like they're about to pop a vein in their heads and the manager looks like he's making small talk. I can only imagine how the players feel and your point about the ebb and flow of the game is quite valid.

I guess I'll just stick to what I always say in these threads (its like beating a dead horse, but some people don't seem to get it): Fredi is just not that type of guy. Everybody doesn't have a fiery personality like a Joe Girardi, and for some people, manufacturing that emotion, in their opinion, isn't the best way to get their point across.

I guess I'll just stick to what I always say in these threads (its like beating a dead horse, but some people don't seem to get it): Fredi is just not that type of guy. Everybody doesn't have a fiery personality like a Joe Girardi, and for some people, manufacturing that emotion, in their opinion, isn't the best way to get their point across.

And my response to that is people "like Fredi" aren't long for the managerial role. LaRussa, Torre, Cox...they all tear into an umpire and have their piece known, quite definitively. Even if they don't get thrown out, they're on the field for an inordinate amount of time.

Fredi (who channels Bolsey more and more by the day) jogs out to the umpire, shakes his head in agreement, and jogs back into the dugout.

That's his way? Fine. But expecting that to be his way AND to be a MLB manager in 2009 don't go hand in hand. Eventually, we'll have a new Dan Miceli and that's it for Fredi.

You'd put Torre in the same league as La Russa and Cox? Man, I can't remember the last time I saw Torre real fired up. I don't know, maybe I missed it, but I always thought he was pretty easy-going.

When he goes out there, he stays out there. That was another part of my gripe, that Fredi's out there for two seconds.

And, for what it's worth, Torre isn't a volatile guy, but he isn't a pushover either.

[ Fireworks were nice. When did they start doing them before the concert? Joan Jett did a fine job. I really liked that new blimp flying overhead with the simulcast of the concert. Real nice touch.

I've been to all the Super Saturday games and they always did them after the concert. I guess they did it differently because it was their 4th of July celebration.

I don't think I've missed one either. But normally I leave before the concert starts. Stayed for Cheap Trick and this one. The others didn't interest me. You make a good point on the 4th thing. Hadn't thought of that. And the blimp thing really impressed me. BTW That one must park somewhere north of the stadium and just west of the turnpike. Saw it flying real low over there on the way home Saturday.