Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Roxy Bernstein's contract not extended

Featured Replies

I would really like to have Boog Sciambi back for either TV or radio. He's a great baseball guy.

He's a Mets fan.

 

/conversation :p

I would really like to have Boog Sciambi back for either TV or radio. He's a great baseball guy.

He's a Mets fan.

 

/conversation :p

He really grew up a phillie fan.

I would really like to have Boog Sciambi back for either TV or radio. He's a great baseball guy.

He's a Mets fan.

 

/conversation :p

He really grew up a phillie fan.

Mets + Phillies fan.....yuck :p

 

Plus he's calling Braves games now....what next? The Nationals hire him to replace Carpenter?

I would really like to have Boog Sciambi back for either TV or radio. He's a great baseball guy.

He's a Mets fan.

 

/conversation :p

He really grew up a phillie fan.

Mets + Phillies fan.....yuck :p

 

Plus he's calling Braves games now....what next? The Nationals hire him to replace Carpenter?

Actually, according to Boog, he isn't a fan of any team anymore. He is a fan of the sport.

 

That said, I would love to get him onto our announce team.

I listen to the radio alot while at the games. Mostly just a plug in one ear so I can still carry on conversations. I really had no problem with either of the guys. The 5 second or so delay that usually took place for the first 2 or 3 innings was a bit annoying, but that isn't on the announcers.

 

Tommy and Rich seem to make a decent pair. I've seen alot worse. But most here watch alot more games on TV than I do. I didn't see anything on Minervini in that article. He's the only one I wish would get the axe. Can't stand the guy. Even refused to let him do an in-game interview with me once. (It was a tattoo thing.)

I would really like to have Boog Sciambi back for either TV or radio. He's a great baseball guy.

 

Forget it. He, like Len, is a traitor and ran to another job. Screw Schambi :thumbdown

I listen to the radio alot while at the games. Mostly just a plug in one ear so I can still carry on conversations. I really had no problem with either of the guys. The 5 second or so delay that usually took place for the first 2 or 3 innings was a bit annoying, but that isn't on the announcers.

 

Tommy and Rich seem to make a decent pair. I've seen alot worse. But most here watch alot more games on TV than I do. I didn't see anything on Minervini in that article. He's the only one I wish would get the axe. Can't stand the guy. Even refused to let him do an in-game interview with me once. (It was a tattoo thing.)

Someone at FSN seems to like him. He hosts half the shows on the damn channel. He does the Fish, that IFL thing, the Panthers, and something else that escapes me. I honestly like Craig, but maybe it's because I am used to him and if he isn't around we are stuck with Frank Forte.

sucks to see Roxy go, i loved the way he called games. DVH is extremely boring, talk about the game please!!

 

I deffinately would like to see Joe Angel come back, if not bring back Boog!

as Neil Rodgers put it DAVE VAN BORING can't be out of here fast enough, but I think his relationship with Loria will keep him here forever, and I think his call of the last out of the 2003 series is the LAMEST thing I have ever heard, Angel I can take or leave, I think Hutton is fine,

Waltz and Bernstein did nothing for me,

 

I would love Boog or Dave O'Brien to come back and do the games.....

as Neil Rodgers put it DAVE VAN BORING can't be out of here fast enough, but I think his relationship with Loria will keep him here forever, and I think his call of the last out of the 2003 series is the LAMEST thing I have ever heard, Angel I can take or leave, I think Hutton is fine,

Waltz and Bernstein did nothing for me,

 

I would love Boog or Dave O'Brien to come back and do the games.....

Neil Rodgers is a moron.

I listen to the radio alot while at the games. Mostly just a plug in one ear so I can still carry on conversations. I really had no problem with either of the guys. The 5 second or so delay that usually took place for the first 2 or 3 innings was a bit annoying, but that isn't on the announcers.

 

Tommy and Rich seem to make a decent pair. I've seen alot worse. But most here watch alot more games on TV than I do. I didn't see anything on Minervini in that article. He's the only one I wish would get the axe. Can't stand the guy. Even refused to let him do an in-game interview with me once. (It was a tattoo thing.)

Someone at FSN seems to like him. He hosts half the shows on the damn channel. He does the Fish, that IFL thing, the Panthers, and something else that escapes me. I honestly like Craig, but maybe it's because I am used to him and if he isn't around we are stuck with Frank Forte.

At least in a Marlins context, Forte is much better suited for the silly and stupid job of mingling with and interviewing fans than Craig is.

What the hell is wrong with Minervini?

 

I just don't like him because of his constant whinning of others getting into the picture when he is on screen. He even moves back and forth to block someone behind him. Talking to him a couple years ago left me with the impression he is a real jerk off screen. And a few years ago he was constantly trying to put guys/players down during interviews that did ice fishing like he had never heard of the sport before. A guy that went to and graduated from Syracuse. And he is a Mets fan. (The more I type the more I realize I have a ton of reasons why I don't like the guy. LOL)

 

But that's just me and has no relevance what so ever on him keeping his job. I suppose he has a decent onscreen persona for his job, I don't know because my extreme prjudice of him kicks in every time I see him or hear his name. And I appear to be in the minority, at least vocally. I think Forte could handle the job nicely. Heck, I wouldn't mind interviewing for the job if they could overlook the tiny little fact I have no dgree in broadcasting or any experience in it.

Whenever I put on the radio to hear the score for the game, it takes Dave about a half hour to say it. I remember one game when he was talking for twenty minutes about how the ball nearly hit a security guard.

I liked Joe Angel, but he is an acquired taste. I've like a number of Marlins radio broadcasters, I can't say that about DVH.

 

 

Joe Angel fell out of favor with John Henry circa 2000 - back when JH wanted to build an expandable 25K seat stadium and Angel called it bush league (in so many words). That was it for Angel, and the next year OB took over (for a year before he defected to ESPN).

 

So, his beef was with prior ownership.

 

While I'd love to see Angel back, I'm not sure we could afford him, or if he'd want to be the radio #1 guy. I think he's beyond that.

Joe Angel's call for Al Leiter's no hitter is one my personal favorites of all time.

Yep, that was a good one! Then again, I enjoyed that game so much I don't think anything could have put a damper on it for me.

 

I agree with some of the comments here about DVH. Sometimes I turn on the radio on my way home from work and it takes forever to hear the score! It's so annoying.

 

On another note, those TBS announcers are incredibly boring and painful to listen to!

At least in a Marlins context, Forte is much better suited for the silly and stupid job of mingling with and interviewing fans than Craig is.

 

I agree 100% -- axe Minervini, he iritates me

  • Author

Roxy Bernstein's dismissal as a Marlins radio announcer this week had a lot to do with the fact he never gave up his University of California basketball radio job, didn't live in South Florida during the winter and, in the Marlins' eyes, didn't make the Marlins his clear-cut No. 1 priority.

 

Bernstein said he believes he could have kept his Marlins job if he relinquished the Cal basketball job and lived in South Florida year-round, but team sources said his contract would not have been renewed regardless.

 

''Cal is where I went to school and it's very important to me,'' he said. ``It's my passion.''

 

Asked if he's disappointed, he said ``yes and no. I don't have any hard feelings.''

 

Bernstein, 35, isn't sure if he'll get back the Cal football play-by-play job which he gave up when he took the Marlins job before the 2005 season.

 

Marlins senior vice president P.J. Loyello said the team needs ``someone who wants to be here year-round and help promote the team.''

 

Dave Van Horne will remain the Marlins' lead radio announcer. The games, which had been on WQAM, very likely will move to 790 The Ticket.

 

-- BARRY JACKSON

 

LINK

Roxy Bernstein's dismissal as a Marlins radio announcer this week had a lot to do with the fact he never gave up his University of California basketball radio job, didn't live in South Florida during the winter and, in the Marlins' eyes, didn't make the Marlins his clear-cut No. 1 priority.

 

Bernstein said he believes he could have kept his Marlins job if he relinquished the Cal basketball job and lived in South Florida year-round, but team sources said his contract would not have been renewed regardless.

 

''Cal is where I went to school and it's very important to me,'' he said. ``It's my passion.''

 

Asked if he's disappointed, he said ``yes and no. I don't have any hard feelings.''

 

Bernstein, 35, isn't sure if he'll get back the Cal football play-by-play job which he gave up when he took the Marlins job before the 2005 season.

 

Marlins senior vice president P.J. Loyello said the team needs ``someone who wants to be here year-round and help promote the team.''

 

Dave Van Horne will remain the Marlins' lead radio announcer. The games, which had been on WQAM, very likely will move to 790 The Ticket.

 

-- BARRY JACKSON

 

LINK

Honest question-other than living somewhere in S. Florida, what has DVH done to promote the team. Have not seen him at any retirement homes selling group packages.

Good for Roxy. If that's why he's let go, it's really busch league.

 

And, I guess count me in the minority of the Dave Van Horn crowd. I like the old time baseball voice.

Roxy Bernstein's dismissal as a Marlins radio announcer this week had a lot to do with the fact he never gave up his University of California basketball radio job, didn't live in South Florida during the winter and, in the Marlins' eyes, didn't make the Marlins his clear-cut No. 1 priority.

 

Bernstein said he believes he could have kept his Marlins job if he relinquished the Cal basketball job and lived in South Florida year-round, but team sources said his contract would not have been renewed regardless.

 

''Cal is where I went to school and it's very important to me,'' he said. ``It's my passion.''

 

Asked if he's disappointed, he said ``yes and no. I don't have any hard feelings.''

 

Bernstein, 35, isn't sure if he'll get back the Cal football play-by-play job which he gave up when he took the Marlins job before the 2005 season.

 

Marlins senior vice president P.J. Loyello said the team needs ``someone who wants to be here year-round and help promote the team.''

 

Dave Van Horne will remain the Marlins' lead radio announcer. The games, which had been on WQAM, very likely will move to 790 The Ticket.

 

-- BARRY JACKSON

 

LINK

 

Good for Roxy, hope he gets the football gig back.

such lame reasons for letting him go

 

now go give the job to Jesse Agler

Roxy was infinitely better than Waltz IMO.

 

Actually sorry to hear him go.

 

And say what you want about DVH. Yes he's forgetful and goes on tangents but to say he doesnt have a great baseball radio voice is laughable.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.