Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Roxy Bernstein's contract not extended

Featured Replies

Per the Miami Herald (in the baseball roundup)

 

The Florida Marlins decided not to renew the contract of No. 2 radio announcer Roxy Bernstein, the team disclosed on Monday night. Bernstein, who also works as the voice of University of California basketball, had been with the Marlins for three years.

 

Lead radio announcer Dave Van Horne and TV announcers Rich Waltz and Tommy Hutton are expected to return.

 

WQAM (560) will not try to renew its Marlins contract, at the Dolphins' request, and the team is expected to move its games to 790 The Ticket. Bernstein's cellphone was off Monday night and he did not immediately return a message.

 

-- Barry Jackson

That sucks, Roxy was the only one with talent in my opinion. I have no idea how anybody anywhere could ever want to listen to Rich Waltz say anything.

...I'll ask around as to why he left

 

It may have something to do with Arizona though

I liked Roxy as well -

 

I think he may have had some conflicts (like Cal football).

 

I think that it was the Cal football thing, as I've heard before they were not going to renew him. I thought I had also seen someone on the board say Rich Waltz was not going to be back. Any idea why they changed their minds ?

I want the Marlins to bring back that guy who used to say...

 

"AND THE MARLINS ARE IN THE WIN COLUMN!!!!!"

 

Joe Angel was annoying, I hate his stupid voice. His call on the winning run of the '97 world

series is among the worst i've heard.

What?!?

 

I forgot, yelling into a microphone makes someone a good announcer these days.

What?!?

 

I forgot, yelling into a microphone makes someone a good announcer these days.

 

You don't have to yell but for god's sake the dude sounded like he had someone's member in his mouth.

Joe Angel was good, not great, his call on the last out in game 7 in 97 was too canned. I wanted more natural emotion. Dave Obrien was much better-just didn't know spanish. Dave Van Horne is aging but I have no problem with him except when he starts lecturing. Roxy is an up and coming star-I think he is excellent, sorry to see him go.

 

Too bad Jeremy Marks Peltz went to IOD-he could step in at 790, I heard him do simulated baseball and he surprised me.

If it goes to 790, maybe Zaslow gets the backup-no experience, but he is a friend, so why not.

I want the Marlins to bring back that guy who used to say...

 

"AND THE MARLINS ARE IN THE WIN COLUMN!!!!!"

 

Joe Angel was annoying, I hate his stupid voice. His call on the winning run of the '97 world

series is among the worst i've heard.

Let me change my comment about game 7-I agree with you, it did suck-I always wished that inning belonged to Davey.

But the final out in 03 was just as bad, as DVH forgot what was happening.

Joe Angel's call for Al Leiter's no hitter is one my personal favorites of all time.

Dave Van Horne is one of the worst announcers I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. His voice is obnoxious, he never tells you the score or the count, he talks about all sorts of things and forgets what's going on on the field.

 

Roxy was nothing special but I wouldn't have minded having him back.

From what I understand, Roxy could be headed for an MLB gig out west. (Athletics?)

 

He was close to getting the Padres radio job last season, but this could be a move the Marlins are making to allow him to walk.

And Rich is back! WHOOOOAAAAA!

Well, he is expected to return...I don't believe FSN Florida has inked a deal with him as of yet....but I hope they do soon.

 

As for the Marlins radio job, this is going to be interesting.

 

The hot rumor has that 790 The Ticket will be the flagship and DVH will be back. I, unlike most of you, listen to many Marlins games completely on the radio and do like DVH. If the Marlins add Joe Angel, who is the head radio man for the Orioles, it will require some sort of arrangement for them to share innings which may not be worked out. I think the Fish may bring in another up-and-comer like a Roxy next year.

I liked Joe Angel, but he is an acquired taste. I've like a number of Marlins radio broadcasters, I can't say that about DVH.

 

Frankly I would hope for a clean sweep in the radio booth. It won't happen, but that would be my wish.

That sucks, Roxy was the only one with talent in my opinion. I have no idea how anybody anywhere could ever want to listen to Rich Waltz say anything.

amen on both points.

 

 

I guess we can't afford to keep good talent, much like our players.

 

Angel

Dave O'Brien

Boog

Len

Roxy

And Rich is back! WHOOOOAAAAA!

Well, he is expected to return...I don't believe FSN Florida has inked a deal with him as of yet....but I hope they do soon.

 

As for the Marlins radio job, this is going to be interesting.

 

The hot rumor has that 790 The Ticket will be the flagship and DVH will be back. I, unlike most of you, listen to many Marlins games completely on the radio and do like DVH. If the Marlins add Joe Angel, who is the head radio man for the Orioles, it will require some sort of arrangement for them to share innings which may not be worked out. I think the Fish may bring in another up-and-comer like a Roxy next year.

 

I have MLB Radio on my computer and listen to a lot of games on the net, and have heard Joe on several of the Orioles broadcasts. One in particular was a shot (and it was deserved) at the Marlins. I didn't get the feeling he would ever be coming back. I might be proven wrong, but he sounded kind of bitter.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.