Willis agrees to 3 year deal

Admin

ESPN is reporting that the Tigers and Dontrelle Willis have agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract.

Willis had to come pretty cheap for this to make any sense at all for the Tigers, and he surprisingly settled for less than Jeremy Bonderman received a year ago. The deal will buy out his first year of free agency. It's still risky for the Tigers given Willis' performance last year, but it's not going to cripple them if it goes bad.

--- RotoWorld.com

ESPN is reporting that the Tigers and Dontrelle Willis have agreed to a three-year, $29 million contract.

Willis had to come pretty cheap for this to make any sense at all for the Tigers, and he surprisingly settled for less than Jeremy Bonderman received a year ago. The deal will buy out his first year of free agency. It's still risky for the Tigers given Willis' performance last year, but it's not going to cripple them if it goes bad.

--- RotoWorld.com

Where are the Tigers getting all this cash? They are becoming the Yankees of the Midwest.

--- RotoWorld.com

Where are the Tigers getting all this cash? They are becoming the Yankees of the Midwest.

Maybe they started giving piano lessons in their spare time.

Very affordable for a lefthanded Cy Young runner up who never gets hurt.

Any other club would have kept him for that money.

almost 10 million for a 15 game loser with 5+ ERA he needed to a change of scenery. Hopefully he will get to his 05 form but its best to let another team take the gamble

I don't think I would have wanted the Marlins to give him that kind of cash.

That's the market. If he was better, he would've received a larger contract, and you'd still have that same sentiment. 29 Million over a three year period is very affordable and reasonable compared to many contracts given to lesser pitchers, notwithstanding D-Train's recent decline. Not a bargain by any means, but the Marlins could have easily absorbed that money over the next three years with our projected payroll and still maintained a payroll less than $30 Million.

That's the market. If he was better, he would've received a larger contract, and you'd still have that same sentiment. 29 Million over a three year period is very affordable and reasonable compared to many contracts given to lesser pitchers, notwithstanding D-Train's recent decline. Not a bargain by any means, but the Marlins could have easily absorbed that money over the next three years with our projected payroll and still maintained a payroll less than $30 Million.

Except that Miller will out perform him for 1/30 the cost.

We didn't trade Willis for Miller. We made them take Willis as part of the deal. Maybin and Miller were cogs in the Cabs portion of the deal.

We didn't trade Willis for Miller. We made them take Willis as part of the deal. Maybin and Miller were cogs in the Cabs portion of the deal.

No. To get both Maybin and Miller we had to give up both Cabrera and Willis.

exactly, and there's no way in hell we get either for willis

I wish him well. We'll never know if Cabs alone would have garnered Maybin and Miller(my guess is yes, and that adding Willis was more salary dump than anything else). I agree that no other team in MLB would give up a Dontrelle Willis when he evidently could have been signed for this money(actually, if he stayed here, this means he would have signed for 26 million or less, let's not forget state taxes and hometown discount).

I don't know where you are getting that, but all of the reports indicated that we came to them and said they had to take Willis as part of any deal - not, we will only going to give up Willis if you give up Miller. They inquired about Cabrera, they threw out their big 2 prospects as available (not necessarily both in a deal for Cabs straight up, but that they had thrown the names out there as available), and we then sent them the parameters of an 8 player deal and said take it or leave it. My understanding is that we made them take Willis as a salary dump, and we projected his value as limited because of that.

So, it was not 5 players for Cabs and Miller for Willis. Or anything close to that. They wanted Cabs, and we told them they had to give us those 6 players PLUS take Willis.

Only time will tell on Willis's career. There's still many years to it. In any case, he would have been worth the price as a team leader, role model, and inning eater. Plus he would have been fun to watch. And he would have helped as a veteran presense until many of these young arms are ready. Who knows how long it's going to take Miller to pitch up to expectations, if he ever does? But the team is too cheap. Even last year, when he was off-form, his inning eating helped the bullpen, which was a strong point. We can re-visit his performance in 2 years. See Lowell as an example of player's having an off year and a half. To those who disliked Willis for whatever reason....how did you feel about Lowell. 99% here thought he was done.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.