Stadium meeting may be moved again

canada-marlin24

Source: Sun-Sentinel

Marlins ballpark plan may be considered in Miami-Dade on Feb. 5

January 18, 2008

Negotiations are continuing on a $525 million plan to finance a ballpark for the Florida Marlins at the site of the Orange Bowl, but an agreement is again not expected to be ready in time for a scheduled vote of the Miami-Dade County Commission on Tuesday.

Congressional hearings on the use of performance-enhancing drugs in baseball and a baseball owners' meeting this week prevented face-to-face talks.

Commission Chairman Bruno Barreiro said he expects an agreement could be considered by the commission at its Feb. 5 meeting or at a special meeting, if his commission colleagues approve.

"From what I've been told, we are so close it's incredible; it's very minor differences," Barreiro said Thursday. "Our attorneys have said we've never been closer."

MOD NOTE: Always mention the source of the article and/or provide a link. Thank you.

The reason it's can't be Tuesday is the "four day rule".

explain?

I believe the "four day" rule is a commission rule that says the commissioners have to have 4 buisness days to review an issue that is coming before them. If they are not given that amount of time, any commissioner can envoke the rule and postpone it from being heard.

Personally, I would not put to much thought into this. This delay is beneficial to the Marlins in getting all their paperwork complete and have the 4 day commission rule passby. They are looking at Feb. 5. Perfectly setup for Fanfest which ironically occurs on Feb. 9. I mean, what better way to start off a ticket sales with a stadium deal just freshly announced?! You guys get where I'm coming from?!

Personally, I would not put to much thought into this. This delay is beneficial to the Marlins in getting all their paperwork complete and have the 4 day commission rule passby. They are looking at Feb. 5. Perfectly setup for Fanfest which ironically occurs on Feb. 9. I mean, what better way to start off a ticket sales with a stadium deal just freshly announced?! You guys get where I'm coming from?!

Would it help sales for a stadium that is a few years down the road? I guess for season ticket holders it may?

This is what Sarah Talalay had to say about the delay.

January 18, 2008

Marlins Stadium Update No. 51,246

> Posted by Sarah Talalay at 5:41 PM

Another week, another delay. Representatives of the Marlins, Major League Baseball, Miami-Dade County and the city of Miami are still negotiating a $525 million deal for a ballpark for the Marlins, but it won?t be ready ? again ? in time for Tuesday?s scheduled vote of the county commission.

Those involved still believe the outstanding issues can be resolved and the framework of the financing plan is in place. Among the biggest unresolved issues is who will pay for a 6,000-space parking garage.

In an earlier draft of the deal, the city was to be responsible for the parking garage. Miami Mayor Manny Diaz, however, has said in order for the garage to pay for itself, there need to be an additional 15 to 20 event dates at the location.

?You need a certain number of events to generate the amount of income you need so it at least breaks even,? Diaz said last month.

That?s one of the reasons Diaz has been pushing for the building of a 25,000-seat soccer stadium for a future Major League Soccer team, next to the Marlins ballpark at the site of the Orange Bowl. He?s been in talks with MLS, but there are no guarantees the city will be granted a team.

County Commission Chairman Bruno Barreiro said if a Baseball Stadium Agreement is completed soon, the commission could consider it at its Feb. 5 meeting or at a special meeting, if commissioners agree to hold one.

Would it help sales for a stadium that is a few years down the road? I guess for season ticket holders it may?

Mainly just for season tickets it would. And those package deals they have.

Mainly just for season tickets it would. And those package deals they have.

I really hope this gets done. I think it will bring the average fan out more, especially if the game will be bareable to watch. Maybe keep the roof closed and throw the A/C on. A real home will bring pride to the team too. When you go to Dolphin Stadium its basically looking at a baseball diamond inside a Dolphins shrine. Too much dolphin stuff everywhere.

So February it is. And not long after it would be March. Before we know it, it's April and baseball season is on again. Then we get to May and June. After that, the sweltering months of July and August.....yeah, we know the drill.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/miami_dade/story/385612.html

This article contains the most worrisome news we've heard in a while.

I thought they were just haggling over who will pay for a parking garage. If the main problem concerns uncertainty over the funds that would become available by approval of the entire mega-plan, then we're in trouble. The mega-plan foundations are starting to shake a bit, specially the part about declaring Watson Island a blighted area in order to extend the CRA. Lets hope they can finalize things before the whole plan crumbles along with our hopes.

The Miami Herald editors/writers don't care for anything other than the Dolphins... no, check that, first comes the Gators, then the Dolphins. They might as well change the name to the Gainsville Herald - Miami Edition... The Palm Beach Post does a better job of accurately reporting Marlins news than the Herald does ...

Also, if you've seen video of the County Meetings, the stadium is not dependent on the other 4 parts of the megaplan. While they were all presented together as part of the global plan, each project needs to individually pass. It's not an all-or-nothing project.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the sense that I got from watching the meetings...

The Miami Herald editors/writers don't care for anything other than the Dolphins... no, check that, first comes the Gators, then the Dolphins. They might as well change the name to the Gainsville Herald - Miami Edition... The Palm Beach Post does a better job of accurately reporting Marlins news than the Herald does ...

Also, if you've seen video of the County Meetings, the stadium is not dependent on the other 4 parts of the megaplan. While they were all presented together as part of the global plan, each project needs to individually pass. It's not an all-or-nothing project.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's the sense that I got from watching the meetings...

They keep saying that the baseball stadium deal is independent from the mega deal, so in that sense you are right.

But they also say that the funds for the stadium will come from the funds originally slated by the county to pay back the PAC (performing arts center) loan. In the mega plan, the PAC loan is supposed to be paid by the money generated by extending the CRA (community redevelopment areas). That would free up the money that would be used for the stadium. If the extension of the CRA is in doubt, then I would suppose that the funding for the stadium would also be in question. Consequently, if the funding for the stadium is dependent on the mega plan, I can't see how they can say it is independent. If someone can explain it to me, please do so.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.