Scott Olsen

mountainfish

I've got to give it up for Olsen. He pitched a good game today. I know he gets no love on this board but I like him. He's got cojones. While he hasn't been as dominating as Johnson or Nolasco he has been a work horse. I know that he is due a raise in arbitration but I think he will still be a bargain considering that reliable lefties are hard to come by. I worry about not having an experienced lefty in the rotation especially in this division and I don't have any confidence in Miller yet.

I hope he comes back...its not very often that a team has a lefty that you can pencil in for over 30 starts...and thats what he has done....a rotation of olsen, JJ, nolasco, volstad and miller is VERY solid. i hope with the fact that gregg wont be back or position players like jacobs we can use some of that to keep our rotation together.

He won't be back.

His stuff isn't good enough. We need to use the money to retain Nolasco and Johnson whom I believe are both headed for arbitration.

I agree he probably won't be back. But to say his stuff is not good enough doesn't make sense. Good enough for what? He has a good slider and change-up and he has better location that anyone on this team except for Nolasco. Besides its a five man rotation. He's no ace but there aren't too many middle of the rotation lefties who are better at his price. Oliver Perez is going to get more money for similar numbers next year. There will be plenty of teams interested in Olsen if they shop him.

Besides, I'd rather pay for pitching. Bats are easier to find.

Most Likely Olsen is Gone Next Season

He didnt have the greatest numbers or Best Starts but He did have Heart and Sweated His Ass Off (Literally) Pitching For Us.

Career Numers as a Fish

31- 37 4.65 ERA 1.46 WHIP .270 BAA

HAPPY TRAILS

Scott "Scotty O- Taser" Olsen

Hope You End Up on A Scrub Team in the AL Like Texas So You Can Be an Ace

He won't be back.

His stuff isn't good enough. We need to use the money to retain Nolasco and Johnson whom I believe are both headed for arbitration.

I agree he probably won't be back. But to say his stuff is not good enough doesn't make sense. Good enough for what? He has a good slider and change-up and he has better location that anyone on this team except for Nolasco. Besides its a five man rotation. He's no ace but there aren't too many middle of the rotation lefties who are better at his price. Oliver Perez is going to get more money for similar numbers next year. There will be plenty of teams interested in Olsen if they shop him.

Besides, I'd rather pay for pitching. Bats are easier to find.

His stuff isn't good enough to get away with mistake pitches. Look at how many home runs he has given up this year. The point is that Olsen needs pinpoint control almost all game for him to have maximum effectiveness. Other guys like Johnson, Nolasco, or Volstad can make a mistake and get away with it.

Besides, there's not enough money to go around for the staff. Olsen is the most likely to go I think.

honestly i think olsen will get some of his stuff back in the off season with rest.

i mean cmon for two years he had a fastball at 92-94 and a disgusting slider......it will come back

he has the stuff if you meanvelocity he chooses to throw softer to beter his control and he admited he got lucky with that slider 2 years ago

hes a good pitcher but hes just the odd man out here

Id love to have him cuz im one of his biggest fans but he just isnt gonna stay

Scot olsen has to leave to make room for Andrew miller

Miller needs to gain control of his pitches, before that he has yet to EARN a spot in the rotation

He has the stuff and in his stint in the minors gained a lot more control bu he still needs a little more time hopefully he has a good Spring and gets it together because i do see him Being in the Starting Rotation Next Season

I have more confidence in Andrew Miller next season than I do in Scott Olsen.

Talk to any scout or baseball "expert," they'd take Andrew Miller over Scott Olsen anyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I'd rather have Scott Olsen as opposed to Anibal...but the contract situations, make it convenient for Olsen to leave, and Anibal to stay.

Hey, I love Olsen. He's a cool guy and he got talent. The problem is that we need the money to retain the more important players like uggla and nolasco, and olsen has talent but not enough to make sure that we keep him. He is replaceable too, with Miller waiting in the wings, so we are most likely going to end up trading him to a team that has no pitching and is willing to give up a catcher (the Texas Rangers, perhaps?)

Talk to any scout or baseball "expert," they'd take Andrew Miller over Scott Olsen anyday of the week and twice on Sunday's.

I'd rather have Scott Olsen as opposed to Anibal...but the contract situations, make it convenient for Olsen to leave, and Anibal to stay.

Me 2, Anibal is a big question right now. Hopefully he returns to form.

Me 2, Anibal is a big question right now. Hopefully he returns to form.

Well, if he doesn't work out as a starter early on next year...we could always move him to the pen. He's had success against righties this year...the problem has been the lefties.

I would be confident with Anibal...it's just torn labrum's are difficult to comeback from. Plus, I never found his stuff to be all that elite, to begin with.

While Olsen being sent off wouldn't surprise me, I don't think it's that outlandish for him to stay either. He won't command a big salary and the pitching situation next year is not nearly as settled as some people here make it sound.

Ricky, JJ, and Volstad are pretty well guaranteed spots, but that's it. Miller hasn't had any long term consistency and niether has Sanchez. I don't know of anyone else in the pipeline to fill in one of those spots, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept him along for more balance to have 2 Lefty SPs (or even just one in the case that Miller still isn't ready). Olsen as a Lefty LRP might not be a crazy idea either, but that's just a random thought.

Honestly, what else would we be trading for and trying to acquire if not pitching?

While Olsen being sent off wouldn't surprise me, I don't think it's that outlandish for him to stay either. He won't command a big salary and the pitching situation next year is not nearly as settled as some people here make it sound.

Ricky, JJ, and Volstad are pretty well guaranteed spots, but that's it. Miller hasn't had any long term consistency and niether has Sanchez. I don't know of anyone else in the pipeline to fill in one of those spots, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just kept him along for more balance to have 2 Lefty SPs (or even just one in the case that Miller still isn't ready). Olsen as a Lefty LRP might not be a crazy idea either, but that's just a random thought.

Honestly, what else would we be trading for and trying to acquire if not pitching?

I wouldent be surpirsed either if we kept him since Anibal and miller havent shown any consistentcy.

He didnt have the greatest numbers or Best Starts but He did have Heart and Sweated His Ass Off (Literally) Pitching For Us.

Career Numers as a Fish

HAPPY TRAILS

He would get killed pitching in the AL with half his starts coming in that ballpark!

Career Numers as a Fish

HAPPY TRAILS

He would get killed pitching in the AL with half his starts coming in that ballpark!

hahaha yea your right

somewhere like Seatle or Baltimore would be Fine