Trade Rumor

Teal Shadow 2007

I'm writing the same post twice, but here goes:

.....Not according to Keith Law via Net Colletti.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/11/russell-martin.html

GM's are certainly capable of playing games, but I trust Keith Law more than Sedano.

Also, if we can get Ramirez from Texas for Olsen+?, then why in the heck would we want to make that deal? Baker/Ramirez is just filthy. Those guys together would have a good chance of matching (and dare I say, possibly outperforming?) Martin's .806 career OPS. Oh yeah, and we get to keep Uggla.

No.

I wouldn't even give up Uggla alone to get Martin. Uggla is a top 3 MLB 2B and Martin isn't even top 5 among catchers. The only reason to go after Martin would have to be offense, but even then, Baker was better at the plate in his limited time this season (Baker's 839 OPS vs Martin's 781).

Not saying I'd do this deal, but I'd put Martin in the top catchers in baseball. Mostly though because of the lack of quality catchers right now. Who are the five better?

No.

I wouldn't even give up Uggla alone to get Martin. Uggla is a top 3 MLB 2B and Martin isn't even top 5 among catchers. The only reason to go after Martin would have to be offense, but even then, Baker was better at the plate in his limited time this season (Baker's 839 OPS vs Martin's 781).

Not saying I'd do this deal, but I'd put Martin in the top catchers in baseball. Mostly though because of the lack of quality catchers right now. Who are the five better?

I agree that theres no way there is 5 catchers better than Martin. I know its based for fantasy purposes but CBS ranks him as the #2 catcher going into 2009, with Brian McCann as #1, and Geovany Soto, Joe Mauer and Victor Martinez rounding off the top 5.

Meanwhile, I disagree with the statement of Uggla being a top 3 2B. I rate him about 5th with Utley, Kinsler, Pedroia and Roberts ahead of him, tho he is just about ahead of Roberts.

No.

I agree that theres no way there is 5 catchers better than Martin. I know its based for fantasy purposes but CBS ranks him as the #2 catcher going into 2009, with Brian McCann as #1, and Geovany Soto, Joe Mauer and Victor Martinez rounding off the top 5.

Meanwhile, I disagree with the statement of Uggla being a top 3 2B. I rate him about 5th with Utley, Kinsler, Pedroia and Roberts ahead of him, tho he is just about ahead of Roberts.

Huh?

Kinsler is really debatable, IMO. He's not a great fielder, either, and the hitting numbers are also close. A big part of Kinsler's OPS mini-spike was fueled by a big jump in BA, but with a BABIP of .339, his numbers should regress (relative to his actual talent/skills at that time), whereas Uggla's was lower at .323.

For the record, what's the league avg number for BABIP on pitchers and hitters, AL/NL?

No.

Huh?

Kinsler is really debatable, IMO. He's not a great fielder, either, and the hitting numbers are also close. A big part of Kinsler's OPS mini-spike was fueled by a big jump in BA, but with a BABIP of .339, his numbers should regress (relative to his actual talent/skills at that time), whereas Uggla's was lower at .323.

For the record, what's the league avg number for BABIP on pitchers and hitters, AL/NL?

Lol I made a mess of that last line - basically I guess it suggests that Roberts and Uggla are about equal.

Or another view could be that Roberts is the more established, however with 1 more good season from Uggla he would leapfrog him in the rankings.

Also, if we can get Ramirez from Texas for Olsen+?, then why in the heck would we want to make that deal? Baker/Ramirez is just filthy. Those guys together would have a good chance of matching (and dare I say, possibly outperforming?) Martin's .806 career OPS. Oh yeah, and we get to keep Uggla.

what he said.

Also isn't Russell already arby-eligible? His salary is going to explode.

what he said.

Also isn't Russell already arby-eligible? His salary is going to explode.

exactly...his salary will not help the marlins. I agree with article comment as well.

I may be completely off base but if the Marlins "push to the playoffs in 2009" is the modus operandi, then I would think that if they acquire a catcher it's going to be a guy who can help them in 2009, and I don't mean some end of his career guy like Ramon Hernandez from the Orioles. So I kind of doubt they trade Olsen for Ramirez unless there is someone else in the pipeline (another trade) to split time with Baker this upcoming season.

And perhaps it's too outlandish to think about Laird and Ramirez for Olsen and Gregg and perhaps fillintheblank, but if payroll flexibility is part of the decision-making, the team would save more than $3 million (+3.5 - 3 - 4) if something along those lines came to fruition.

Maybe Treanor recovers and can contribute by spring training alongside Baker, I like them as a tandem (and yes I know it's not very popular here), and who knows perhaps a healthy Mike Rabelo brings more to the table than we saw last season, so a Ramirez/Olsen trade makes some sense then but I'm not sure the former is ready for prime time in 2009.

About .300 ... but good hitters can have higher BABIPs... whereas pitchers, who don't control what happens when they let go of the ball, if it's above .300 are usually UNlucky and below is the oppositie ... /themoreyouknow

I may be completely off base but if the Marlins "push to the playoffs in 2009" is the modus operandi, then I would think that if they acquire a catcher it's going to be a guy who can help them in 2009, and I don't mean some end of his career guy like Ramon Hernandez from the Orioles. So I kind of doubt they trade Olsen for Ramirez unless there is someone else in the pipeline (another trade) to split time with Baker this upcoming season.

And perhaps it's too outlandish to think about Laird and Ramirez for Olsen and Gregg and perhaps fillintheblank, but if payroll flexibility is part of the decision-making, the team would save more than $3 million (+3.5 - 3 - 4) if something along those lines came to fruition.

Maybe Treanor recovers and can contribute by spring training alongside Baker, I like them as a tandem (and yes I know it's not very popular here), and who knows perhaps a healthy Mike Rabelo brings more to the table than we saw last season, so a Ramirez/Olsen trade makes some sense then but I'm not sure the former is ready for prime time in 2009.

Max Ramirez is ready for the major leagues.

a few people have weighed in on this issue so far in the thread, but I think it deserves more attention:

do we really think we will be able to get Ramirez for Olsen straight up? I believe if this deal were going to happen it already would have. The Rangers want another piece. Who's it gonna be?

Their bullpen isn't very good. Maybe they'd take Gregg.