Manny to the Marlins?

305LaTiNo

Busy off-season

By Post Staff | Tuesday, November 11, 2008, 06:15 PM

Welcome back, folks. Sorry for my absence but I did enjoy catching up with my family on my recent vacation. I come back today to a vastly different Marlins team! Mike Jacobs, Josh Willingham, Scott Olsen? All gone? Who?s next?

My hunch is Dan Uggla and Jeremy Hermida stay but Kevin Gregg is traded. Whether the deals so far will bear fruit is the question. Leo Nunez (from the Royals for Jacobs) is expected to play a big role in the bullpen. Emilio Bonifacio (from Washington for Hammer and Olsen) is supposed to be an everyday player. He has a slick glove at second but the Marlins will try him out this spring at third base. I?m not sure I like this trade. After all, Olsen caused headaches but he was an innings eater. Now, only Nolasco (213) has logged at least 200 innings.

Meanwhile, fresh rumors have the Marlins planning to make a run at Manny Ramirez. I haven?t been able to confirm that just yet, but interesting that the Marlins made a run in July.

Anyway, what does everyone think of the changes made by new-look Marlins so far? Chime in!

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content...florida_marlins

These are how rumors start. They go from one crappy unreliable website, then one person trusts them, then it makes it to message boards like these, then semi-major local news sites post it, and then it explodes.

Now goodness Im not saying we are not going after him (I would hope we are :p ) but the source that we have heard it from is complete BS, so if it happens, its probably a coincidence.

These are how rumors start. They go from one crappy unreliable website, then one person trusts them, then it makes it to message boards like these, then semi-major local news sites post it, and then it explodes.

Now goodness Im not saying we are not going after him (I would hope we are :p ) but the source that we have heard it from is complete BS, so if it happens, its probably a coincidence.

Dodgers reportedly offered 2 years and option for a third that could raise the total to around $60 million. That's going to be hard to beat.

Use this logic, Manny will put butts in the seats, more people = more money. Miami has a large hispanic population, and Manny would be a HUGE draw. I really hope they make a legit run at him!

Didn't work for Carlos Delgado... who is also hispanic... and call me crazy, but I believe we had a large hispanic population in Miami then, too... but uh, no effect on attendance

Use this logic, Manny will put butts in the seats, more people = more money. Miami has a large hispanic population, and Manny would be a HUGE draw. I really hope they make a legit run at him!

Didn't work for Carlos Delgado... who is also hispanic... and call me crazy, but I believe we had a large hispanic population in Miami then, too... but uh, no effect on attendance

c'mon, you cant compare Delgado to Ramirez. Manny will put butts in the seat. think about how great of a move this would be for the front office. everyone is super pissed at the trade we just made, imagine how happy and crazy people will go if we get Manny. to be honest I dont really think we will seeing as how he is asking for 6 years, 150 million, but hey, if we can pull off some kind of a deal it will be pretty nuts.

c'mon, you cant compare Delgado to Ramirez. Manny will put butts in the seat. think about how great of a move this would be for the front office. everyone is super pissed at the trade we just made, imagine how happy and crazy people will go if we get Manny. to be honest I dont really think we will seeing as how he is asking for 6 years, 150 million, but hey, if we can pull off some kind of a deal it will be pretty nuts.

From what ive read no one is gonna give him 6 years. He can want it but isnt happening. Personally i dont think bringing him here would put enough butts in the seats. Sure it will put a few more in but not enough to justify what we would be paying him. I would love for him to come here though cause all i care about is winning. And man the man can hit the freaking ball.

No SINGLE player will noticeably increase attendance at Marlins games... Carlos Delgado was supposed to pretty much assure us of the division crown by being our lefty masher to complement Cabs... and he filled a hole at 1B, whereas Manny would fill a "hole" in LF... so yes, I can compare them... Delgado in his prime to Manny towards the end of his career.

Also, in terms of it being a "great move" for the FO, it'd basically strain every last financial resource we'd have for the next couple of years AND cost us a draft pick... not our preferred modus operandum. Also, I HIGHLY doubt Manny is asking for 6/150... that's what CC is getting... in his prime... as a starting... left handed pitcher...

Yeah... it'd be pretty nuts... but probably not in the best way...

Also, remember... there are 81 home games in baseball, this isn't like a Miami Heat bringing in Shaq type deal where... A) One superstar can get you to the playoffs in the NBA (let alone two, like Shaq and Wade)... and B) There's no way there'd be a sustained attendance boost... a few more people during opening day... a TON (more) of people when we play the Sawx (I think we do this year, at home)... but really, the attendance numbers wouldn't reflect it unless we started going all 2001 Mariners and winning some ridiculous total amount of games and clinching the playoffs by like... the ASB

Dodgers reportedly offered 2 years and option for a third that could raise the total to around $60 million. That's going to be hard to beat.

And what did Bora$$$ say Thursday?? "We are now, for the first time, going to be accepting legitimate financial offers for Manny." (maybe not word for word, but close) Kind of a slap in the face to the Dodgers org and their offer, if you ask me. You remember the Dodgers? The team Manny was on all the sports news shows saying he wanted to end his career with?? He just left out, "Either retire with or until I can file for FA. Whichever comes first."

No SINGLE player will noticeably increase attendance at Marlins games... Carlos Delgado was supposed to pretty much assure us of the division crown by being our lefty masher to complement Cabs... and he filled a hole at 1B, whereas Manny would fill a "hole" in LF... so yes, I can compare them... Delgado in his prime to Manny towards the end of his career.

Also, in terms of it being a "great move" for the FO, it'd basically strain every last financial resource we'd have for the next couple of years AND cost us a draft pick... not our preferred modus operandum. Also, I HIGHLY doubt Manny is asking for 6/150... that's what CC is getting... in his prime... as a starting... left handed pitcher...

Also, remember... there are 81 home games in baseball, this isn't like a Miami Heat bringing in Shaq type deal where... A) One superstar can get you to the playoffs in the NBA (let alone two, like Shaq and Wade)... and B) There's no way there'd be a sustained attendance boost... a few more people during opening day... a TON (more) of people when we play the Sawx (I think we do this year, at home)... but really, the attendance numbers wouldn't reflect it unless we started going all 2001 Mariners and winning some ridiculous total amount of games and clinching the playoffs by like... the ASB

Nope. We play at Boston.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

C''mon... how many of u really think the Marlins would even think of bringing this guy here.....

Not gonna happen.... We have the cheapest owner in the history of sports....

I bet he charges his own family to come out to ball games...

:lol

he probably does...

and cmon can we close this thread please?

this is absolutly stupid.

MANNY RAMIREZ WILL NEVER PLAY IN A MARLINS UNIFORM

Delgado coming from the blue jays with absolutely little to no national coverage is nothing compared to the media circus that Manny has had the past couple of years. He will put butts in the seat. whether it will be sustained is debatable, but for the first couple months of the season Manny would be a difference maker in the season and if we keep on winning it can continue. And I read about Manny asking for 6/150 in an article on msn.com.

I think it would be worthwhile to get Manny if a reasonable deal could be worked out.

Not because I think he would have a significant long term impact on regular season attendance, but because I think he would put us over the top and send us to the playoffs and potentially a third ring, and at least get us some postseason attendance.

Really, it's entirely up to Manny. He could play for any team in baseball for a fortune so long as he is semi-reasonable about his terms.