Manny to the Marlins?

305LaTiNo

The only way the Marlins could rapidly increase attendence is if they offered the first 10,000 fans a free Mexican to mow their lawn for a month :mischief

ps: I heard Alfredo willing to show you the Amezaga Dance if you come to the games

If our outfield consisted of Jesus, Moses, and the Dalai Lama, we still wouldn't be able to get the stadium filled.

Um, Jesus was Black; Moses was white; and the Dalai Lama is Indian. Since they aren't Hispanic, they clearly would not increase attendance.

I've got all three of their bobbleheads.

c'mon, you cant compare Delgado to Ramirez. Manny will put butts in the seat. think about how great of a move this would be for the front office. everyone is super pissed at the trade we just made, imagine how happy and crazy people will go if we get Manny. to be honest I dont really think we will seeing as how he is asking for 6 years, 150 million, but hey, if we can pull off some kind of a deal it will be pretty nuts.

No SINGLE player will noticeably increase attendance at Marlins games... Carlos Delgado was supposed to pretty much assure us of the division crown by being our lefty masher to complement Cabs... and he filled a hole at 1B, whereas Manny would fill a "hole" in LF... so yes, I can compare them... Delgado in his prime to Manny towards the end of his career.

Also, in terms of it being a "great move" for the FO, it'd basically strain every last financial resource we'd have for the next couple of years AND cost us a draft pick... not our preferred modus operandum. Also, I HIGHLY doubt Manny is asking for 6/150... that's what CC is getting... in his prime... as a starting... left handed pitcher...

Yeah... it'd be pretty nuts... but probably not in the best way...

Also, remember... there are 81 home games in baseball, this isn't like a Miami Heat bringing in Shaq type deal where... A) One superstar can get you to the playoffs in the NBA (let alone two, like Shaq and Wade)... and B) There's no way there'd be a sustained attendance boost... a few more people during opening day... a TON (more) of people when we play the Sawx (I think we do this year, at home)... but really, the attendance numbers wouldn't reflect it unless we started going all 2001 Mariners and winning some ridiculous total amount of games and clinching the playoffs by like... the ASB

Nope. We play at Boston.

we play yankee here in miami maybe he want play vs his old team and yankee but that only dream

If our outfield consisted of Jesus, Moses, and the Dalai Lama, we still wouldn't be able to get the stadium filled.

Um, Jesus was Black; Moses was white; and the Dalai Lama is Indian. Since they aren't Hispanic, they clearly would not increase attendance.

either way you look at it, Jesus or Moses were Jewish, so investments would go up. Yay Marlins.

Use this logic, Manny will put butts in the seats, more people = more money. Miami has a large hispanic population, and Manny would be a HUGE draw. I really hope they make a legit run at him!

I find it hard....no....impossible to believe the Hispanic community is waiting for the Marlins to become more Hispanic before they start coming out to games. Is that what teams like the Dodgers, Padres, Astros, and Rangers do to increase their attendance?? This is just crap. Has been every time I have heard or read this type of reasoning.

Here we go again. Whether it was because of him or not, attendace went up in 2005 from 2004, and in 2004 from 2003. So, it is a true statement to say that attendance increased after signing Delgado. The numbers have been cited on this board before.

We can argue it wasn;t because of Delgado or that the #s didn't go as high up as some people would have hoped, but we did have increased attendance in 2005.

Here we go again. Whether it was because of him or not, attendace went up in 2005 from 2004, and in 2004 from 2003. So, it is a true statement to say that attendance increased after signing Delgado. The numbers have been cited on this board before.

We can argue it wasn;t because of Delgado or that the #s didn't go as high up as some people would have hoped, but we did have increased attendance in 2005.

The attendance rose but not even as high as the rest of the league. We went from 26th in the league to 28th in the league from 2004 to 2005.

The attendance rose but not even as high as the rest of the league. We went from 26th in the league to 28th in the league from 2004 to 2005.

But attendance did rise from 2004 to 2005. And in 2006 after the 'market correciton' attendance dropped. Not only that but comparing the signing of Delgado to a signing of Manny Ramirez is laughable. Delgado was a power hitting first baseman from the Blue Jays. Unless, your a real baseball fan or from Puerto Rico, Delgado was a nobody. Everybody knows Manny Ramirez. Signing Delgado is like the Heat acquiring Marion, signing Manny is like acquiring Shaq.

Regardless of how much of a fantasy a Manny signing is, can people please stop with the stupid "we signed Delgado and nothing happened with attendance" argument. The comparison is not equitable.

Agree completely with legacy. there have only been a handful of major league players that put butts in the seats and manny is one of them. Delgado may have gave a little boost but nothing to the effect of what manny would do

They are in really different Leagues Manny Ramirez is A top Dominican super star him and A rod of course. Carlos Delgado doesn't even make it to the top 5 Puerto Rican players.

Agree completely with legacy. there have only been a handful of major league players that put butts in the seats and manny is one of them. Delgado may have gave a little boost but nothing to the effect of what manny would do

They are in really different Leagues Manny Ramirez is A top Dominican super star him and A rod of course. Carlos Delgado doesn't even make it to the top 5 Puerto Rican players.

Carlos Delgado has the highest career OPS (and OPS+) and the most career home runs of any Puerto Rican in MLB history. Also has the most RBI, 13th highest batting average, highest OBP, and 2nd highest SLG in that same category. And yes, all of those but batting average are ahead of some dude named Roberto Clemente. (And that's not sarcasm.)

What a slouch. (That is sarcasm.)

But attendance did rise from 2004 to 2005. And in 2006 after the 'market correciton' attendance dropped. Not only that but comparing the signing of Delgado to a signing of Manny Ramirez is laughable. Delgado was a power hitting first baseman from the Blue Jays. Unless, your a real baseball fan or from Puerto Rico, Delgado was a nobody. Everybody knows Manny Ramirez. Signing Delgado is like the Heat acquiring Marion, signing Manny is like acquiring Shaq.

Regardless of how much of a fantasy a Manny signing is, can people please stop with the stupid "we signed Delgado and nothing happened with attendance" argument. The comparison is not equitable.

You do realize average attendance "rose" by about 800 people. That's not a typo, it's actual figure is 781. For a team that just came off it's 2nd and 3rd winning seasons with another Championship. I doubt that is even close percentage-wise to what the population in South Florida rose in that time span, much less how it compares MLB wide. Sorry, but I don't call that a rise in attendance. It would be generous to give it a push. Very generous. I doubt signing a tempermental, "it's all about me", known to sluff off when he isn't happy type player would increase average attendance much more, if at all. But it would be hard to tell the difference between if they were buying up some sort of season ticket package to see him, or if they were doing it for the right to first picks for the WBC tickets (which we declined, BTW) AND guaranteed comparable seating in the new ball park. The "sign Manny" fans would say it was because of him, while the rest of us would sit back and knowingly chuckle.

You do realize average attendance "rose" by about 800 people. That's not a typo, it's actual figure is 781. For a team that just came off it's 2nd and 3rd winning seasons with another Championship. I doubt that is even close percentage-wise to what the population in South Florida rose in that time span, much less how it compares MLB wide. Sorry, but I don't call that a rise in attendance. It would be generous to give it a push. Very generous. I doubt signing a tempermental, "it's all about me", known to sluff off when he isn't happy type player would increase average attendance much more, if at all. But it would be hard to tell the difference between if they were buying up some sort of season ticket package to see him, or if they were doing it for the right to first picks for the WBC tickets (which we declined, BTW) AND guaranteed comparable seating in the new ball park. The "sign Manny" fans would say it was because of him, while the rest of us would sit back and knowingly chuckle.

I believe the appropriate analysis is to check season ticket purchases and not total attendance. Rise in season ticket packages means the Marlins were worth the investment... total attendance usually has to do with walk-up purchases... which depends on how good we are doing and that season was the death of Mike Lowell and Juan Pierre

Carlos Delgado has the highest career OPS (and OPS+) and the most career home runs of any Puerto Rican in MLB history. Also has the most RBI, 13th highest batting average, highest OBP, and 2nd highest SLG in that same category. And yes, all of those but batting average are ahead of some dude named Roberto Clemente. (And that's not sarcasm.)

Did I say somewhere in my post that Delgado was a bad player? Hmm, let's see, nope can't find it. Manny Ramirez is a celebrity, Delgado is a good ballplayer. Ramirez is arguably one of the best hitters of all time. And to Bronocobob, did you just read the first line and ignore the rest of my post? Just for the sake of argument, let's say your right and Delgado didn't put fans in the seat. It's irrelevant in a Manny Ramirez discussion, because as previously stated, Manny's status in the media and because of his performance puts him at another level.

My analogy was good, Delgado is like Marion, and Manny is like Shaq.

There were too many reasons in 2004 to explain why attendance wasn't up more but certainly three hurricanes, driving prohibitions and curfews and home games played on the road (didn't they take a home game away and play it at Wrigley, and then over at U.S. Cellular) had something to do with it however small it might be in the grand scheme of things. I remember sitting through a doubleheader when the team finally returned and very few in the stands because people couldn't get to the park. Plus if I remember it was on a Monday, and that season the team played a god awful something like 30 games in a row to make up games previously lost.

2004 was an aberration.

As for the Manny thing he's not going to put 30,000 fannies in the stands every night but LOC is essentially correct and his analogy a good one, Ramirez transcends virtually any single player (I say that because ARod is on a team of stars) in the game. He is a true rock star. I do think a combination of contending and having Manny would increase attendance, how much I can't say.

Did I say somewhere in my post that Delgado was a bad player? Hmm, let's see, nope can't find it. Manny Ramirez is a celebrity, Delgado is a good ballplayer. Ramirez is arguably one of the best hitters of all time. And to Bronocobob, did you just read the first line and ignore the rest of my post? Just for the sake of argument, let's say your right and Delgado didn't put fans in the seat. It's irrelevant in a Manny Ramirez discussion, because as previously stated, Manny's status in the media and because of his performance puts him at another level.

Was that even a reply to you? It wasn't, it was a replay to Jeremy Hermida #1 fan who said that Delgado isn't even in the top 5 best players from PR, while he is arguably the best ever.

And how can you say that Delgado is like Marion? That's not even close. Marion is just some dude, Delgado is going to be on the bubble for the Hall of Fame. He's 30th all-time in homers and will probably end up the 26th member of the 500 home run club. He's 36th all-time in OPS for heaven's sake.

Was that even a reply to you? It wasn't, it was a replay to Jeremy Hermida #1 fan who said that Delgado isn't even in the top 5 best players from PR, while he is arguably the best ever.

And how can you say that Delgado is like Marion? That's not even close. Marion is just some dude, Delgado is going to be on the bubble for the Hall of Fame. He's 30th all-time in homers and will probably end up the 26th member of the 500 home run club. He's 36th all-time in OPS for heaven's sake.

Even if that comparison to Marion is a bad one, the fact remains that a Delgado signing and a Manny signing is not comparable i nthe least, because Manny's status is on a totally different level.

Even if that comparison to Marion is a bad one, the fact remains that a Delgado signing and a Manny signing is not comparable i nthe least, because Manny's status is on a totally different level.

I think it is comparable, given how much press was given down here when Delgado got signed. It ended up amounting to nothing.

I think it is comparable, given how much press was given down here when Delgado got signed. It ended up amounting to nothing.

Again, amounting to nothing is arguable, as has been shown. Many people who are not avid baseball fans had no idea, even after press coverage as to who Delgado was. Most people know Manny Ramirez.

You're blinded by the fact that you're a big baseball fan, but to the general public Delgado was just a power hitter that didn't go out of the dugout for the god bless america, Manny Ramirez is the second coming of Christ.

Manny has name recognition that Delgado never had, and is a lock for the hall of fame. To say, "even if we had the money Manny wouldnt put butts i nthe seats because Delgado didn't" is missing the impact and relevance of Manny Ramirez.

Rabb, respectfully, you should consider separating yourself (as all of us do as hard core fans) from the regular Joe or Jill fan for whom a baseball game is more of a family outing or something for a group of friends to do than anything else. In that context there's no comparison between Delgado and Manny Ramirez. Not even close.

"Manny being Manny" is in the lexicon for goodness sake.

I'm respectably sitting in the boat of "agree to disagree" so that this argument doesn't go on forever, seeing as it has already gone on for months. The thing is that Delgado is the biggest free agent we've signed in recent years and is the only comparable. Being a stat-guy, I go with what I am given to make decisions, and I have been given absolutely nothing that would make me believe that Manny would bring in more fans.

Again, amounting to nothing is arguable, as has been shown. Many people who are not avid baseball fans had no idea, even after press coverage as to who Delgado was. Most people know Manny Ramirez.

You're blinded by the fact that you're a big baseball fan, but to the general public Delgado was just a power hitter that didn't go out of the dugout for the god bless america, Manny Ramirez is the second coming of Christ.

Manny has name recognition that Delgado never had, and is a lock for the hall of fame. To say, "even if we had the money Manny wouldnt put butts i nthe seats because Delgado didn't" is missing the impact and relevance of Manny Ramirez.

i mustadmit when i was ounger at the time, when i heard we got dlegado i said carlos who? but when i saw him play here i admired him and bought his shirt lol =P but yea if it was manny we got right there i would have known in ah eart beat who he was, no dis respect to carlos

I'm respectably sitting in the boat of "agree to disagree" so that this argument doesn't go on forever, seeing as it has already gone on for months. The thing is that Delgado is the biggest free agent we've signed in recent years and is the only comparable. Being a stat-guy, I go with what I am given to make decisions, and I have been given absolutely nothing that would make me believe that Manny would bring in more fans.

But you don't have the numbers to say otherwise either. You'd have to compare our Delgado jump with the jump in attendance when the Dodgers acquired him, and then compare the two markets. In fact, you may even want to compare the attendance figures for a jump when the dodgers acquiring Manny with the figures for the acquisition of Delgado by the Mets. By just saying this hapepned with Delgado so itll happen again with Manny you're ignoring numbers and your equation is incomplete.