Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

7/28 Post Game

Featured Replies

You know Rab that I use stats to back up arguments the majority of the time, I believe stats are a good representative of what has occured. But certain stats do not measure how Hermida has failed as a RFer, incidents like that in the 8th inning today are a good indication. There are certain players you trust when they come to bat and there are others you don't. For years Hermida has fallen under the category of those you don't, and especially this year.

 

Look, you can't use stats to build things up when you agree with them and then just say "oh, well I actually watch the games, not the box scores" when you disagree. That's called hypocrisy.

 

Yes, Hermida's a f***ing idiot in baseball. I know some here see me as some kind of Hermida lover because I'm constantly defending him against the constant "lets toss him out the window and not worry about the consequences" but as only a few people on here know, I kinda hate him. He's an idiot, he's always got his f***ing head in the sky and he shows a minimal amount of hustle. I see guys like him out there, with their physical abilities, and think to myself "if that f*** face had half the hustle I do when I play ball, he'd be awesome" and I find myself pissed off that I, with the hustle I always put in to catching every single fly ball, am sitting in the stands while this dick who doesn't seem to give a sh*t that all this genetically fell in his lap gets to stand out there in the field.

 

But all that is neither here nor there. Does it matter if I think he's lazy or dumb? Not at all because I want my team to win. And one thing that helps my team win is him being one of our best hitters vs RHP, while putting up average defense (yes, don't make me go into this again) and platooning with Brett Carroll's .700 OPS and incredible defense vs LHP. It's one of the few things we've had going for us (even though BC seems to be falling off a bit). We just don't have a replacement for Hermida right now. Some say Maybin. Sure, we thought that in March too, how'd that work out? And then guys like DeAza? Are you kidding me with that?

 

I want my team to win. I don't like Hermida but he's frankly the best we can do right now. DFAing him would be a GIANT mistake. I mean huge.

 

Post Of The Year!

Boy I wish I coulda seen this hermida blunder. I heard it on the radio and vanhorn seemed like he wanted to call hermi an idiot. I don't think he should be DFA but if we some how traded for an OF bat and he's not part of the trade ( unlikely since it seems like we've been trying to trade him since last year) his butt better be on the bench.

Boy I wish I coulda seen this hermida blunder. I heard it on the radio and vanhorn seemed like he wanted to call hermi an idiot. I don't think he should be DFA but if we some how traded for an OF bat sand he's not part of the trade ( unlikely since it seems like we've been trying to trade him since last year) his butt better be on the bench.

 

 

 

trading for an outfield bat would be a mistake. Our farm system of non untouchable guys is thin. We have guys who can play the outfield very close to MLB ready. Maybin will be up and starting in CF come September, and that would basically boot Hermida/Carroll platoon out of RF. Putting Cody in RF, Maybin in CF and Coghlan in LF is the best option for this team. Guys like Morrison and Stanton will be here in 2010 (with Morrison possibly playing 1B), so we would in the long term giving up certain prospects to get an OF bat when we didn't need one. We shouldn't be trading for an outfield bat, we should be looking for back of the end starters or corner infielders, that is where our true need is.

You know Rab that I use stats to back up arguments the majority of the time, I believe stats are a good representative of what has occured. But

 

The rest of this post should have gone "but since they don't back up my argument in this case, to hell with them!".

 

 

I wasn't avoiding the stats. He's batting .248 this year and still has not shown what kind of hitter he is. He still has shown minimal power, he still has shown he is not a contact hitter, he still has shown he shouldn't be in games because of his defense. What do you do with him?

 

I mean he's a career .263 hitter with average numbers across the board. Sure he has been ok against RHP this year, but his numbers versus them are nothing to jump up for joy about, and last year he was just as bad against RHP as he was against LHP. When do we stop kidding ourselves and just admit we have an average hitter with below average defense on the team? I mean I am not being subjected to simply today's game, but throughout this season Gload has continued to put up numbers that are begging to just give him a chance in RF. His stats are better against RHP than Hermida's are, and I feel the team improves with guys like Gload platooning with Carroll as apposed to Hermida.

 

Since when is being average bad?

 

Edit: And his defense isn't below average. He is an average defender.

Boy I wish I coulda seen this hermida blunder. I heard it on the radio and vanhorn seemed like he wanted to call hermi an idiot. I don't think he should be DFA but if we some how traded for an OF bat sand he's not part of the trade ( unlikely since it seems like we've been trying to trade him since last year) his butt better be on the bench.

 

 

 

trading for an outfield bat would be a mistake. Our farm system of non untouchable guys is thin. We have guys who can play the outfield very close to MLB ready. Maybin will be up and starting in CF come September, and that would basically boot Hermida/Carroll platoon out of RF. Putting Cody in RF, Maybin in CF and Coghlan in LF is the best option for this team. Guys like Morrison and Stanton will be here in 2010 (with Morrison possibly playing 1B), so we would in the long term giving up certain prospects to get an OF bat when we didn't need one. We shouldn't be trading for an outfield bat, we should be looking for back of the end starters or corner infielders, that is where our true need is.

 

Coghlan shouldn't be starting in LF. He needs to be moved to the IF, IMO.

Boy I wish I coulda seen this hermida blunder. I heard it on the radio and vanhorn seemed like he wanted to call hermi an idiot. I don't think he should be DFA but if we some how traded for an OF bat sand he's not part of the trade ( unlikely since it seems like we've been trying to trade him since last year) his butt better be on the bench.

 

 

 

trading for an outfield bat would be a mistake. Our farm system of non untouchable guys is thin. We have guys who can play the outfield very close to MLB ready. Maybin will be up and starting in CF come September, and that would basically boot Hermida/Carroll platoon out of RF. Putting Cody in RF, Maybin in CF and Coghlan in LF is the best option for this team. Guys like Morrison and Stanton will be here in 2010 (with Morrison possibly playing 1B), so we would in the long term giving up certain prospects to get an OF bat when we didn't need one. We shouldn't be trading for an outfield bat, we should be looking for back of the end starters or corner infielders, that is where our true need is.

 

Coghlan shouldn't be starting in LF. He needs to be moved to the IF, IMO.

 

 

Uggla is currently at 2B, and the FO has seemed adament that they don't want to try him at 3B, so as it stands he is going to be in LF until Uggla is traded.

what a way to win but we should not be spot were we need walkoff to win we were leading but we could not keep the lead but win is win that what count

I think some posters are over exaggerating with this Jeremy hermida thing. Especially Dim. Hermida is proving his worth by platooning. If you want Brett Carrol to start full time over him, I guarantee you everyone would want his head by the end of August.

 

 

 

I am far from embellishing. You know I don't overexagerate most of the time on this site, and the only time I have is on Hermida issues. And no I do not want Carroll starting every game at this point in his career. We still have other guys like Alejandro De Aza who are more than capable of platooning with Carroll. He would do a better job than Hermida imo, both in the field and at the plate. Oh but Hermida is on a 5 game hit streak!!! Yeah 1 hit in those games is a total accomplishment. He just has become a waste on this team, and like I said I hate extremists on this site, but all this constant talk of "Hermida's potential" is never going to come to fruition as a Marlin. If he will ever succeed (still doubt it highly), the best thing for both the Marlins and Hermida in both the short and long run is to designate him for assignment, and hope a team offers something of substance within those 10 days.

 

 

It really surprises me that you're not an Emilio Bonifacio fan.

But seriously...DFA him?

 

 

 

hell f*cking yes. Tell me, what would you continue doing? I'm not getting on Hermida for this one little mistake this game, I'm getting on him for making these "one little mistakes" throughout his entire career as a marlin. I'm sick of it, and frankly everybody in this forum and watching this team is getting sick of it.

 

And I totally forgot to even mention Gload as an option. He is a vet, he has shown he can produce when given the chance, and he could provide for us what Luis Gonzalez provided for us in RF last season. Platooning him with Carroll is our best option. Yes it depletes our bench a little, but we have guys like Gaby and others to still pinch hit.

 

DFA'ing Hermida and getting rid of w/e is left of his $2 million contract would enable us to use the money to get a player just as good if not better than Hermida off waivers, which like I have said before is where this team will do its damage.

 

 

I'd consider a trade before DFA'ing him.

But seriously...DFA him?

 

 

 

hell f*cking yes. Tell me, what would you continue doing? I'm not getting on Hermida for this one little mistake this game, I'm getting on him for making these "one little mistakes" throughout his entire career as a marlin. I'm sick of it, and frankly everybody in this forum and watching this team is getting sick of it.

 

And I totally forgot to even mention Gload as an option. He is a vet, he has shown he can produce when given the chance, and he could provide for us what Luis Gonzalez provided for us in RF last season. Platooning him with Carroll is our best option. Yes it depletes our bench a little, but we have guys like Gaby and others to still pinch hit.

 

DFA'ing Hermida and getting rid of w/e is left of his $2 million contract would enable us to use the money to get a player just as good if not better than Hermida off waivers, which like I have said before is where this team will do its damage.

 

 

I'd consider a trade before DFA'ing him.

 

 

You tell me a trade partner, and I'll consider a trade.

But seriously...DFA him?

 

 

 

hell f*cking yes. Tell me, what would you continue doing? I'm not getting on Hermida for this one little mistake this game, I'm getting on him for making these "one little mistakes" throughout his entire career as a marlin. I'm sick of it, and frankly everybody in this forum and watching this team is getting sick of it.

 

And I totally forgot to even mention Gload as an option. He is a vet, he has shown he can produce when given the chance, and he could provide for us what Luis Gonzalez provided for us in RF last season. Platooning him with Carroll is our best option. Yes it depletes our bench a little, but we have guys like Gaby and others to still pinch hit.

 

DFA'ing Hermida and getting rid of w/e is left of his $2 million contract would enable us to use the money to get a player just as good if not better than Hermida off waivers, which like I have said before is where this team will do its damage.

 

 

I'd consider a trade before DFA'ing him.

 

 

You tell me a trade partner, and I'll consider a trade.

 

 

We wouldn't get much, at this point, either way.

I still don't see what's so wrong about having Hermida and BC platoon. It certainly hasn't hurt us this year.

 

This is the problem certain people have with the Hermida bashers. You're suggesting just automatically DFA'ing him, and one of the possible "solutions" for you is calling up Alejandro De Aza and platooning him with Brett Carroll? Seriously, that just makes us worse.

 

The only possible solution is bringing Maybin to play CF, and moving Cody to RF...and it's unproven whether or not Maybin is ready. You don't do that to a team that is currently in contention. You don't just throw rookies who have barely been here out there now.

 

Just stick with the platoon that has done fine this year (Hermida/BC). Hermida will likely be gone next year.

  • Author

I think all this needs to be moved to a different thread. It's killing the post-walk off buzz.

I think all this needs to be moved to a different thread. It's killing the post-walk off buzz.

 

 

Another trade/DFA/send to the minors thread dedicated to Jeremy Hermida!?

 

It doesn't really matter since every thread seems to morph into a Jeremy thread anyway.

 

I do agree with you though, reading this thread definitely killed my walk-off buzz.

Back to the subject at hand. Sweet come-from-behind, I would have preferred a safe win but the heroics didn't hurt this time and it got us the win!

Now on to Hermida...man, that was an idiotic, lazy move. I hope he was truly embarrassed, he deserves it.

 

P.S. props to TheGuy for starting the game thread earlier. I liked what he put up, it was cool and something new. Keep it up, im diggin it!

This is a perfect opportunity for Fredi Gonzalez to make a statement tomorrow, after Ross Gload's walkoff.

If I'm the manager...Ross Gload is playing RF tomorrow night. What Hermida did in the 8th is unacceptable.

 

 

What is more likely to happen is that BC starts in RF. Fredi will pass it off as being a lefty/righty match-up and BC is hitting lefties much better than Gload or Jeremy.

 

No doubt Jeremy had a bad night at the plate and on the bases. Not bad in the field. Don't know if it was just that or a reflection of his normal lackidaisical play in the field and at the plate. But it sure made him look pretty silly.

In addition, Ricky did a nice job on the mound tonight- it's too bad he ended up with a no-decision.

 

 

So did the bull pen's punching bag, FWIW. But the board's fav "closer" just blew another save. And that's 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in his last two appearances.

Some of you take it really far sometimes.

 

I know it was stupid...heck, I was the first to bring it up.

But seriously...DFA him?

 

 

Don't sweat it. When he has a good game, and he will if he is still here, the haters will fail to mention it.

 

For example....See any mention of Pinto for this game?

God, this is why I'm always stuck defending Hermida. It's not because I like him, it's not because I think he's awesome, but it's because some of you are SOOOOOOOOO extremist when it comes to him it's just ridiculous, and my saying that he doesn't completely suck and still serves a purpose on this team becomes a defense of him.

 

Even in this month where he's hit .230 or something sh*tty like that, he's still hitting .281 vs RHP. He serves a need. God, with our batting what it is, to say to replace him with someone like DeAza or Carroll against RHP is just idiotic.

 

God, with how critical I've been about Hermida since 2007, I never thought I'd be on this side of it. But so many extremists has forced me into the position of logic.

 

 

 

AHEM. You mean you are showing the other side of the coin?? Sorry Rab. Couldn't help myself there.

 

I thought Jeremy was gone last year at this time. Then as he was basically benched towards the end of last season I just knew he would be gone. Then I gave him the benefit of the doubt when they switched him to LF in the off season. Actually thought that would help his overall game. But now that he has lost that job........... It has nothing to do with a brain fart on the bases last night. Happens to everyone from time to time. It has more to do with how the coaches and FO are, and have in the past, acting towards him.

In addition, Ricky did a nice job on the mound tonight- it's too bad he ended up with a no-decision.

 

 

So did the bull pen's punching bag, FWIW. But the board's fav "closer" just blew another save. And that's 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in his last two appearances.

 

You always do this. Everyday, there is someone you have to defend, then there is someone you have to call board's fav. It's getting really annoying.

In addition, Ricky did a nice job on the mound tonight- it's too bad he ended up with a no-decision.

 

 

So did the bull pen's punching bag, FWIW. But the board's fav "closer" just blew another save. And that's 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in his last two appearances.

That wasn't even a save opportunity. It was a tie game at the time he came in.

In addition, Ricky did a nice job on the mound tonight- it's too bad he ended up with a no-decision.

 

 

So did the bull pen's punching bag, FWIW. But the board's fav "closer" just blew another save. And that's 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in his last two appearances.

 

You always do this. Everyday, there is someone you have to defend, then there is someone you have to call board's fav. It's getting really annoying.

 

Then the board needs to stop doing it. It's been really annoying for qite some time.

In addition, Ricky did a nice job on the mound tonight- it's too bad he ended up with a no-decision.

 

 

So did the bull pen's punching bag, FWIW. But the board's fav "closer" just blew another save. And that's 4 hits and 3 runs allowed in his last two appearances.

That wasn't even a save opportunity. It was a tie game at the time he came in.

 

You are right. My mistake. But the fact remains, he almost gave up the game. Darn good thing their closer had a rare bad outing.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.