Marlins Sign Mike Macdougal

jerus9703

http://www.miamihera...ry/1487842.html

The Florida Marlins bolstered their bullpen Thursday by agreeing to a contract with former Washington Nationals closer Mike MacDougal. Agent Rex Gary said MacDougal, a right-hander, will sign a minor-league contract with an invitation to Marlins spring training. Pitchers and catchers report Friday.

After being released by the White Sox on April 30, MacDougal signed with Washington and converted 20 of 21 save chances last season. With the Nationals, he had a 3.60 earned-run average and batters hit .247 against him. MacDougal, 32, began his big-league career with Kansas City and made the All-Star team in 2003.

The Marlins have said Leo Nuñez will enter camp as the closer, but MacDougal adds to the bullpen's late-inning depth.

Miami Herald

Bringing in all of these guys (veras, Turnbow, Mcclung, Macdougal) definetly doesnt hurt. These bullpen guys are so inconsistent and year to year anyways, so hopefully we cant find some diamonds in the rough.

yeah, giving them minor league deals is good. My only complaint at this point is that it limits innings for our RP prospect in the upper minors, but hoping one or more of them turn legit more than outweighs that turnoff.

Wow, I like this signing. I'm not saying he's the second coming or anything but I like the rebuilt bullpen. I like this philosophy by the FO to pick these guys up. It makes our bullpen less predictable and all these guys want to prove something so we know we are going to get the best out of them.

hopefully he finds a hat that stays on his head. maybe this will be the team that has that hat. not a fan.. agree with lindstrom 2.0 statement. hes one that if he could take a running start to throw his fastball he would. i dont think he ever looks at the catcher... unless something changed since his sox days. seen enough of him. atleast its not guaranteed

nice. so out of macdougal, turnbow, veras, and mcclung who has the best chance of being the next kiko calero??

I'll go with the only guy on the list who's ever been dominant before. Derrick Turnbow.

MacDougal is just nice because we gave up nothing to get him, but really...despite his 20/21 save/opps last year...it just shows how overrated the save statistic is. I'm a bit worried about his K:BB ratio.

With that said, he's cheap and he's had some success before more recently than the others, I guess. He also seems to keep the ball in the ballpark and get groundball outs.

Bringing in all of these guys (veras, Turnbow, Mcclung, Macdougal) definetly doesnt hurt. These bullpen guys are so inconsistent and year to year anyways, so hopefully we cant find some diamonds in the rough.

yeah, giving them minor league deals is good. My only complaint at this point is that it limits innings for our RP prospect in the upper minors, but hoping one or more of them turn legit more than outweighs that turnoff.

I suspect we are going to release half the "motley crue" if they don't make the team. I can't see them pitching Turnbow or Veras in AAA over Tuckers, Woods, Lerouxs, Parcells, etc, if they don't make the team

nice. so out of macdougal, turnbow, veras, and mcclung who has the best chance of being the next kiko calero??

I'll go with the only guy on the list who's ever been dominant before. Derrick Turnbow.

MacDougal is just nice because we gave up nothing to get him, but really...despite his 20/21 save/opps last year...it just shows how overrated the save statistic is. I'm a bit worried about his K:BB ratio.

With that said, he's cheap and he's had some success before more recently than the others, I guess. He also seems to keep the ball in the ballpark and get groundball outs.

yeah but turnbow has only been dominant in one season and then a total scrub the rest. while macdougal has put together 4-5 good season in his career.

I agree with you Lou. I don't see any of those veterans pitching in AAA. I also like the signing of MacDougal somewhat. Who knows, maybe the Marlins will somehow get him to throw strikes. If that happens he will challenge Nunez for the closer's job this spring.

I can see Strickland in AAA as the lone lefty. I also expect at this point, two of the veteran righties to make the pen, one to go to AAA, and the loser to be released. i.e., Turnbow

MLB - Nunez, Sanches, Pinto, Meyer, Badenhop, MacDougal, McClung

AAA - Tucker, Wood, Leroux, Tankeresley, H. Jones, Buente, Sinkbiel, M. Petersen, Stone, Strickland, and Veras (I mean, this is a lot of guys but they could all get innings in AAA and side sessions)

AA - Ceda, Parcell, Voss, Mharinez, Cishek, Harvey, Jennings, Koehler, Harker, and others (Parcell and Voss could see promotions, but I'm just looking at all the names above and at some point a few of them will be blocked. Those two have the least AA experience of the lot.)

That's a daffy three level bullpen depth chart. It lacks a bullpen-ACE for 2010, but there's a lot of potential there and by the summer, 7 of them will step up and form a good average/above average bullpen.

The starters would look like...

MLB - Johnson, Nolasco, Anibal, Volstad, Miller

AAA - West, Vanden Hurk, Penn (if he clears), Hensley, C. Martinez, J. Santos

AA - G. Taylor, Sanabia, Winters, Villanueva, Allison, Rosario

Man. We have a lot of arms. And it's cool to think the ones in A-Ball (James, Berglund, Hand, Kaminska, etc), all profile higher. I'm totally into the P depth Beinfest has created.

We also signed Brian Lawrence for AAA start, I assume he'd take Penn's spot since I assume, if he clears, he'd choose free agency (As I'd assume most players choose free agency when given the option).

I also assume they start Tucker since they started him last year.

But yeah...rather crazy to actually look at it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.