Emailed David Samson

I emailed David Samson, asking about the changing of our colors from teal and black, since that seems to be a hot topic. And I to am worried that they will change. I told him most Marlins fans would not be happy if they changed. I was surprised at how fast he got back to me. Here was his response:

Brian, thank you for the compliment, though we are rebranding when we become the Miami Marlins in 2012. I assure you the new logo and uniforms will be iconic and everlasting.

Regards,

David Samson

Seems like just the usual business like reply.

There isn't going to be teal in 2012. I mean, really just get over it. They've been saying this for two years now and not budged despite a number of times being brought up.

I think it's kind of dumb too but Loria is a New Yokah and a traditionalist, so he is going to rebrand the team really clean cut-simple base colors that reflect Miami historically (i.e., Orange), design the stadium with things like dark blue seats and nothing 'out there' like teal seats, and then add his own personal 'art' touches with that rather insane home run thing in center field and probably get some Brito/other stuff on different walls and facades of the stadium.

Me? I've worried about the product on the field. They could wear trash bags with lamp shade hats if they win 100 games and a world series in the next 5 years.

Obviously the most important thing is how they play. No question.

However, part of what I love about the Marlins is how different they are from other major league teams. And the teal is a major part of that for me.

I was lucky enough to have the Marlins as my home team since I was a kid. I mean, I still have a Marlins teddy bear that I was inseparable from for a LONG time [much longer than was socially acceptable, I assure you] who is wearing a teal pinstripe uni, I still have my first Marlins plastic helmet, which is teal, not to mention various other ball caps acquired throughout the years. I'm not saying that this is what Marlins baseball is about, but I just want to let it be known that for those of us RAISED on Marlins baseball, taking away teal is a bit heartbreaking. I mean, I already have to say goodbye to the F, what more do they want from me?

I was surprised at how fast he got back to me.

That's because "he" is really a receptionist who copies and pastes pre-written e-mail responses from Samson according to the circumstance.

Actually, he does answer his own emails. At times he will pass one along to a subordinate, but he does answer the majority of them himself. And he remembers them. They may be "company line" type answers, but I remember when Samson was a loose cannon when talking and everyone complained. Now the same ones are complaining because he's not. Go figure.

This isn't a kiss up to Samson response, it's just the facts. I still don't much care for the man, but ya gotta give credit where it is earned.

Honestly I never had any attraction to the teal. Looking back at old pictures/videos of the team when they still had loads of teal on the uniform, it looks really garish. At least by 1997 the uniforms looked like an MLB team.

The players never really liked that teal look either. Especially that teal batting helmet.

I could care in the least what colors they are wearing. Just play the game the way it was meant to be played.

What we have now is my ideal set. Not to much teal and just right. The silver dazzle fabric in the script really sets it off. The older teal is a little much for me. Ultimately if we had to change I would keep everything the same script wise and just changed the teal to a deep oceanic blue like the seats in the photo of the new stadium. Yeah blue is over done but I would much rather have that then bright orange. You really can't take away the teal though.

Obviously the most important thing is how they play. No question.

However, part of what I love about the Marlins is how different they are from other major league teams. And the teal is a major part of that for me.

I was lucky enough to have the Marlins as my home team since I was a kid. I mean, I still have a Marlins teddy bear that I was inseparable from for a LONG time [much longer than was socially acceptable, I assure you] who is wearing a teal pinstripe uni, I still have my first Marlins plastic helmet, which is teal, not to mention various other ball caps acquired throughout the years. I'm not saying that this is what Marlins baseball is about, but I just want to let it be known that for those of us RAISED on Marlins baseball, taking away teal is a bit heartbreaking. I mean, I already have to say goodbye to the F, what more do they want from me?

My sentiments exactly. I still have my teal plastic batting helmet too(giveaways were sweet back in the day ). It still has the twist-ties on the headband inside from when it broke while I was playing with my brother in the front yard.

The first couple of years when they went overkill with the teal, as Niner would put it the "Great Gazoo" era, wasn't the best look. But 97-02 and the 03-Present looks are both great and unique. If enough people organize and complain, they won't change the colors.

It's like St. Louis trying to put green seats in the new Busch, fans complained and they got red seats. Or, recently in MLS, when Seattle was picking a name for the team they had a fan vote. The only 3 options though were Seattle Alliance, Seattle Republic and Seattle FC. But Seattle Sounders has been the name of their soccer team dating back to the original NASL. Fans complained, they added a write in option, and Sounders won by a landslide.

I think there are enough Marlins fans out there, probably including a bunch of season ticket holders, who like the teal enough to fight for it. I'm not sure enough of them know that it's going to go away though. The customer is always right and we are the customers.

Here's how I look at it. The new stadium and new name in 2012 will mark the beginning of a new era in franchise history. The 19 years we'll have spent in Pro Player were filled with lots of memories. Let's let the old uniforms, logos, and colors represent these memories and the new uniforms, logos, and colors represent the memories that will occur in the new era. It's a new beginning for the organization, let's have a fresh new look to go with it.

I'm not crazy about the teal, but just as long as the orange doesn't come into play I'm good.

As much as I'd like to keep teal, I'll agree that anything without orange would be tolerable.

You'd think that after 17 seasons(8 in Loria's case) of looking at thousands of empty orange seats they'd want nothing to do with it, but alas, much of the team's promotional materials and ads and so on look like it could be for the Orioles or Giants. That man must really hate teal....

For what it's worth I've heard they are looking at a Carolina Panthers-esque light blue/black/silver scheme, which wouldn't be terrible but again, it's not my beloved teal.

For what it's worth I've heard they are looking at a Carolina Panthers-esque light blue/black/silver scheme, which wouldn't be terrible but again, it's not my beloved teal.

Thats what i said, if your going to name a team after a fish atleast keep the colors water like. I love my Panthers and like I described a few post above, i could live with the colors.