Cody Ross

Fish4Life

Ross' status for opener unclear

Cody Ross may not be ready for Opening Day.

The Marlins right fielder has been hampered by a sore right calf since he last played in a Grapefruit League game on March 23. He has just 22 at-bats in main games. But the lack of at-bats doesn't concern manager Fredi Gonzalez as much as the possibility of the outfielder being healthy when the season gets underway.

Ross also has dealt with a strained left groin this spring. As of now, he has not had any medical tests taken.

"It's concerning, it really is," manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "But we'll see. Let's take one step at a time, and see how that calf reacts in the next three or four days. It's sleepless nights."

In recent days, Ross has played in Minor League and intrasquad games. He had a 2-for-4 game where he hit a double and home run.

If Ross starts the season on the disabled list, which is very possible, he could be placed on the disabled list, retroactive to March 26. If that happens, the earliest he could be activated is April 10, or the fifth game of the season.

"The at-bats don't bother me more than the health does," Gonzalez said.

Along with Ross, Brett Carroll also is nursing an injury. Carroll has a strained left oblique, and he is expected to open the season on the DL.

A possible starting right field candidate is prospect Bryan Petersen, who is second on the team in at-bats this spring. Petersen is hitting .295 over 61 at-bats.

"Petey has taken advantage of the time he's been out here, he really has," Gonzalez said. "In a normal spring, he would have been back in the Minor Leagues, getting his at-bats there."

-- Joe Frisaro

I wonder if that would just strait up DFA Jai Miller for Bryan Petersen, since having those two plus cousins on the 40 man is rather redundant. Would be cool to see him get a chance to start.

edit: we're currently 38/40 if I counted right, and two of those spots are for Veras and Hensley. Need two more for Lamb and Barden/Murphy/Luna, so would need one more for Petersen

Florida Marlins' Scott Cousins getting ready to replace injured Cody Ross

By MANNY NAVARRO

mnavarro@MiamiHerald.com

JACKSONVILLE -- Scott Cousins doesn't want to get his hopes up.

But unless Cody Ross' strained right calf doesn't improve drastically, Cousins soon be will flying his parents across the country to come watch him make his major-league debut Monday night against the Mets at CitiField.

``[The Marlins] told me to come up here and play for Jacksonville and travel up with them [saturday] to Greensboro to play for Greensboro. And, if things [keep] going the way they've been going with Cody, I'll be in New York,'' said Cousins, who started in center field against the Marlins and for the club's Double A affiliate, the Jacksonville Suns, Friday night at the Baseball Grounds of Jacksonville.

``If he's feeling better, like he's ready to go, then I'm going back to [Triple A] New Orleans. . . . They just said to prepare my mind like I'm going to New York.''

Ross, who strained his calf in a Grapefruit League game against the Orioles on March 23, played in a minor-league game Friday afternoon on a back field at the Roger Dean Stadium complex in Jupiter. As a designated hitter, he went hitless in five at-bats playing against the Mets' low Single A affiliate.

Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said Ross is scheduled to play twice more this weekend in minor-league games where he will test his calf playing in the outfield. But as it stands, Gonzalez said the team is likely to ``lean on the side of caution.''

``The trainers and coaches said he looked OK,'' Gonzalez said. ``But he hasn't played the field, and you have to play the field and stay out there for nine innings and run around.''

If Ross isn't ready for the opener, he will begin the season on the disabled list. In that scenario, he would place go on the 15-day DL retroactive to March 26. The earliest he would be eligible to return would be April 10.

Cousins is pulling for Ross to be healthy. But he certainly would not mind an opportunity to fulfill his big-league dream, too. A third-round draft choice in 2006 out of the University of San Francisco, Cousins is known most for his defense. Last season, he hit .263 with 12 home runs, 74 RBI and 27 stolen bases for the Suns. ``They told me [i could be up] for four days, 10 days, two weeks -- it all depends on how he's doing,'' Cousins said. ``But for me to fulfill a lifelong goal and dream -- Opening Day in New York -- it would be unbelievable.''

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/04/02/1561068/cousins-getting-ready-to-replace.html#ixzz0k0P87cif

Odds are good Cody Ross will be ready for Opener

-Joe Frisaro

Just because he's recovered from his injuries that doesn't necessarily mean that he's ready to play major league baseball. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Fredi wanted to give Cody some AB's in minor league games since he hasn't consistently played all Spring Training. Will he return to the team and be ready to actually play on Monday?

Palm Beach Post Staff and Wire Reports

Right fielder Cody Ross, who had been hobbled by a strained right calf, played in a Class AAA game in Jupiter on Saturday. He had five at-bats and made six catches in the outfield. He'll be re-evaluated today.

"He could possibly join us in New York," Marlins manager Fredi Gonzalez said, whose team opens its season there Monday afternoon against the Mets.

Guess he didn't get any hits in 5 ab's.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.