Imperfect Game

MVETOY

What would be your feeling if is was Josh Johnson Instead of Armando Galarraga, i would be at Bud Selig door asking some questions, that hurts.

It's outrageous no matter what, but don't expect baseball to do anything about it. Bug Selig has repeatedly said "there is a human element to the game" and this is part of it, as awful as it is.

not true, Bud Selig can overturn the call... just saw this on espn.com

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5246454

from the link:

"Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce's missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland's Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong."

I'm sorry but if this thing gets overturned, then the floodgates will burst open of people demanding other calls be overturned in the past and future.

I agree. I think this is a slippery slope. As much as I would like to see the call overturned, I don't see it happening. Opens up a new can of worms.

It was a blown call, it's outrageous, it's egregious, it's preposterous (end of Seinfeld Lawyer rant).... whatever you wabt to call, it sucks that it happened (even if it was Josh instead), but move on... Where's the spontaneous celebration for Galarraga and his teammates if if gets overturned, the magic and the moment are both gone... it will cheapen the achievement... Where is Jor-El when you need him: "It is forbidden to interfere in baseball history...:" Let's review all the bad calls in World Series history and reverse them all too

This would not be a slippery slope. This is arguably the worst call in the history of baseball, and Bud just has to say this is the only retroactive move and we are going forward from here. This is a special circumstance and if you can't see it, you just aren't getting it.

Yes, it robs Galaragga of his moment, but the achievement needs to be honored. This Is a travesty for the sport if Bud doesn't use his best interests of baseball powers.

This would not be a slippery slope. This is arguably the worst call in the history of baseball, and Bud just has to say this is the only retroactive move and we are going forward from here. This is a special circumstance and if you can't see it, you just aren't getting it.

Yes, it robs Galaragga of his moment, but the achievement needs to be honored. This Is a travesty for the sport if Bud doesn't use his best interests of baseball powers.

It's a special cirumstance? What about the blown call in 1972 involving Pappas? What about the Royals/Cards in the WS?

Maybe you dont realize.... Galarraga's moment was RUINED. Changing that call would make him feel like a cheat anyways. It's over, and I'm pretty sure Galarraga knows that. You cant make up for the mistake directly, but hopefully the MLB finds another way to make it up to Galarraga; like I said in the other thread, maybe they should implement a rule in his name allowing video review on the final play of the game.

I think it was good for Selig (don't say that usually) to not reverse the bad call. I mean baseball is full of terrible calls and that would open the door for every one to be potentially looked at/overturned. With that said- if there was a Marlins pitcher that had the same opportunity, I'd probably say the same thing unfortunately.

Baseball is such a different and historical game ...It sucks but hey deal with it The ump is part of the game as well His decision is final...That is how we learned the game that is how it should be...The old saying a strike is never a strike til the ump says it is

Every sport is historic. The NHL is equally as old (minimal margin) to the MLB and it's gone through extensive change.

Both the NBA and NFL have their own respective histories and have seen much change since the birth of their respective leagues.

Change is meant to happen. No, we dont need a robot calling pitches just like we dont use the camera to call fouls in basketball, football, or penalties in hockey. But every single sport has adapted to technology in the future except for baseball. The only thing baseball has gotten to is HRs.

The NBA, for example, reviews shots only within the final 2 minutes of play. Any other call is subject to the refs call only.

It is simply asinine that in today's age, with so much technology available, baseball has yet to institute replay challenges for non-subjective plays. Nearly every game is on TV, and most in HD. This isn't the 1960s when the camera angles were limited, and it's not the 80s when the cameras weren't as good. The technology is incredible, but baseball, hellbent on remaining behind the times and adhering to the stupid idea that the human element is important to the game, refuses to advance itself enough to make sure that correct calls are made. I am not saying the Balls and strikes need to be replayed, and for you purists there is your human element...balls and strikes, but for home run, fair/foul, out/safe at the bags and did the fielder catch it or not there should be. Have an umpire in one of the boxes with tv and if he see's something that needs to be reviewed tells the crew chief who calls time and 2 minutes later we have a call. It's not about being right, it's about getting the call right.

Armando Galarraga lost a chance at history, which sucks. Jim Joyce cost him a chance at it, which because baseball won't let him off the hook, is something he'll have to live with and hear about for the rest of his life. And that blows.

I'll one up your Josh Johnson...If Aramdo Galarraga pitched for the Yankees, you'd have replay of all plays tonight.

baseball is much more about tradition and history than any other sport in tenfolds ofcourse all sports have history but comeon none preserves them like Baseball I love it for that There will always be changes and the game will always evolve but missed call is part of its history. No umpire wants to miss a call but Human error is an equation of the game that we all love

By changing the call, you are putting one player above the team and the game itself... The Tigers still won the game, move on

huh? It isn't changing the outcome of the game or affecting either team really whatsoever. it's not all that much different than the official scorer going back & changing a hit to an error.

It's a special cirumstance? What about the blown call in 1972 involving Pappas? What about the Royals/Cards in the WS?

How about the pine tar incident?

Yes. It is a special circumstance. This is a perfect f***ing game on a play that ended the game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.