Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the Fish Rookie of the Year?

Featured Replies

  • Author

If I need a base runner, I trust Morrison.

 

If I need a sac fly or home run, I trust Stanton.

 

If I need an RBI with a RISP, I trust Sanchez.

 

I'm not using stats here, this is just who I trust if we needed each of the following.

 

As far as the rookie of the year, it's Sanchez simply because he's been consistently above average all year, while Stanton and Morrison just recently came onto the scene. Morrison and Stanton will in all likelihood have better seasons than Sanchez next year, but this year belongs to Gaby.

 

But he hasn't. He's 2 runs below league average according to the WAR calculation.

Probably because his numbers have tailed off towards the end of the season. Hard to stay motivated when your team is out of the playoff race for nearly a month and a half.

If I need a base runner, I trust Morrison.

 

If I need a sac fly or home run, I trust Stanton.

 

If I need an RBI with a RISP, I trust Sanchez.

 

I'm not using stats here, this is just who I trust if we needed each of the following.

 

As far as the rookie of the year, it's Sanchez simply because he's been consistently above average all year, while Stanton and Morrison just recently came onto the scene. Morrison and Stanton will in all likelihood have better seasons than Sanchez next year, but this year belongs to Gaby.

 

 

 

If I bet against the Marlins, I trust Miller

 

 

 

:lol

 

In his defense, he's not a rookie.

 

But then, he should be........but.........um..........nevermind. :mis2

Probably because his numbers have tailed off towards the end of the season. Hard to stay motivated when your team is out of the playoff race for nearly a month and a half.

 

 

If that's the case, then I'm not sure I want a player like that on my team. I don't think it's really the case, but Gaby doesn't have enough talent to not give 100% just because the team is fading out of the race. Not to mention, they're not mathematically eliminated, and he should be playing for a spot on the roster next year and beyond, as well as improving his arbitration prospects in the future.

I voted for Gaby "Clotheline" Sanchez. It'll be very interesting to see how Gaby, Logan, Stanton, Coghlan and Maybin perform next year, for hopefully the entire year.

If I need a base runner, I trust Morrison.

 

If I need a sac fly or home run, I trust Stanton.

 

If I need an RBI with a RISP, I trust Sanchez.

 

I'm not using stats here, this is just who I trust if we needed each of the following.

 

As far as the rookie of the year, it's Sanchez simply because he's been consistently above average all year, while Stanton and Morrison just recently came onto the scene. Morrison and Stanton will in all likelihood have better seasons than Sanchez next year, but this year belongs to Gaby.

 

 

 

If I bet against the Marlins, I trust Miller

 

 

 

:haha

I voted for Gaby "Clotheline" Sanchez. It'll be very interesting to see how Gaby, Logan, Stanton, Coghlan and Maybin perform next year, for hopefully the entire year.

 

 

Hell with the way Emilio Bonifacio is playing at the moment... lol..

I voted for Gaby "Clotheline" Sanchez. It'll be very interesting to see how Gaby, Logan, Stanton, Coghlan and Maybin perform next year, for hopefully the entire year.

 

 

Yeah...about that...

  • Author

I voted for Stanton because I would take 82 games of good performance over 132 games of league average performance.

 

 

 

Huh?? :blink:

 

That's what the stats say... actually just a bit below.

I voted for Stanton because I would take 82 games of good performance over 132 games of league average performance.

 

 

 

Huh?? :blink:

 

That's what the stats say... actually just a bit below.

 

C'mon, man. You should know better than this.

 

When the stats don't show what you want them to, find some that do or just ignore them.

When Coughlan comes back next season who gets sent down? None of these 3 right? Having these 4 guys on the team at the same time would be scary.

 

 

 

BTW: Here's a comparison of Coghlan's '09 stats to Gaby's '10:

 

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OPB SLG OPS

Coghlan '09: 128 504 84 162 31 6 9 47 53 77 8 5 .321 .390 .460 .850

Gaby '10: 133 508 65 141 35 3 17 76 50 90 5 0 .278 .346 .459 .804

When Coughlan comes back next season who gets sent down? None of these 3 right? Having these 4 guys on the team at the same time would be scary.

 

 

 

BTW: Here's a comparison of Coghlan's '09 stats to Gaby's '10:

 

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS AVG OPB SLG OPS

Coghlan '09: 128 504 84 162 31 6 9 47 53 77 8 5 .321 .390 .460 .850

Gaby '10: 133 508 65 141 35 3 17 76 50 90 5 0 .278 .346 .459 .804

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

There is no comparison CC had one of the most amazing rookie seasons ever in history

I voted for Stanton because I would take 82 games of good performance over 132 games of league average performance.

 

 

 

Huh?? :blink:

 

That's what the stats say... actually just a bit below.

 

C'mon, man. You should know better than this.

 

When the stats don't show what you want them to, find some that do or just ignore them.

The Gospel according to BroncoBob.

It's usually smart to rip the "subjectivity" of stats in a context where someone is actually using them objectively. Seem like a good place to start.

 

It's even smarter to be a person who never misses an opportunity to interject personal biases with regard to certain players.

 

Oh, the irony in this thread.

I voted for Stanton because I would take 82 games of good performance over 132 games of league average performance.

 

 

 

Huh?? :blink:

 

That's what the stats say... actually just a bit below.

 

C'mon, man. You should know better than this.

 

When the stats don't show what you want them to, find some that do or just ignore them.

 

It's already been said, but this post of yours is very ironic. Awesome stuff...

  • 3 weeks later...

It's usually smart to rip the "subjectivity" of stats in a context where someone is actually using them objectively. Seem like a good place to start.

 

It's even smarter to be a person who never misses an opportunity to interject personal biases with regard to certain players.

 

Oh, the irony in this thread.

 

Irony is right. I would have gone with "hypocrisy", but we'll run with "irony".

 

You were referring to yourself. Right?

WAR:

Gaby: 1.3

Stanton: 1.9

Logan: 1.1

 

The local writers gave it to Gaby.

 

Updated WAR:

Gaby: 0.8

Stanton: 2.7

Logan: 0.8

 

Actually I think that's pretty understandable. Not who I would pick, but I do see their reasoning. I said at the start of the season that he was below average defensively, but brought the best bat to the table out of the available options. He has brought his D up to "at best average", as I have said repeatedly. I also predicted he would end up hitting .270-.275 this year. I would like to see him have a real good final two games and make me wrong on that one. I have some selfish reasons for that.

  • Author

WAR:

Gaby: 1.3

Stanton: 1.9

Logan: 1.1

 

The local writers gave it to Gaby.

 

Updated WAR:

Gaby: 0.8

Stanton: 2.7

Logan: 0.8

 

Actually I think that's pretty understandable. Not who I would pick, but I do see their reasoning. I said at the start of the season that he was below average defensively, but brought the best bat to the table out of the available options. He has brought his D up to "at best average", as I have said repeatedly. I also predicted he would end up hitting .270-.275 this year. I would like to see him have a real good final two games and make me wrong on that one. I have some selfish reasons for that.

I don't think it's understandable at all. The percection and hype is he has played better than he has. He gets credit for playing well the first 3 months (OPS - .862) but doesn't get blamed for playing like crap the last 3 monhs (OPS - .712).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.