Marlins interested in Eric Chavez?

fishfan46

I see no harm giving him an incentive laden contract. Signing a 6 time GG winner? Yup, see no harm in that at all. His best days are definitely behind him, but a healthy Eric Chavez could easily make the MLB club, or at least be one of those AAA guys that we should have no qualms about calling up in case of injury.

I love these signings of high-upside veterans recently, and Chavez would be another great addition by the Marlins FO.

Plus, he puts pressure on Matty D to perform (or at least gives him a great mentor on defense)

I like this deal. We REALLY need insurance at 3rd, since I am not in the least bit convinced that Dominguez will be ready to go (and I don't want Bonifacio over there either). This is a low risk, high reward signing if we can get it done. I hear he has a lot of other interest, but we could potentially offer him starting time.

Can someone please address how he provides insurance? If Dom isn't ready for opening day, then Eric Chavez starts for what? 30 games? How is that insurance?? This would be a low cost high reward player. NOT insurance. Insurance is someone who has shown they can play more than 33 games in the past 3 seasons without getting injured/reinjured.

Well to be fair, Chavez said he feels completely recovered and ready to play. Obviously, it could just be a marketing ploy into creating competition for him. But still.

And I don't call Chavez "insurance". He is just an "option". And like you said, very low-cost and high-reward. I believe that if Chavez doesn't win the starting job over Matty D, then he won't make the club as a backup. It would make no sense to carry The Professional and Eric Chavez at the same position on the big league club, especially if Boni can also play 3rd base. Plus that would leave us with the lack of another OF. That's why he is just an option and not insurance.

I say don't sign him for insurance, sign him to give him the job! If come June 1st Dominguez looks ready then bring him up and you save a year on arbitration :thumbup

This sounds like a great suggestion, in theory. But there's just too many question marks at 3B at the moment to really assess this situation (is Chavez really as healthy as advertised, is Boner is horrible as we remember him, is Dominguez ready for Big League pitchers now, etc.). I think by the end of Spring Training we'll have a much clearer picture to look at (as will the Marlins). In the mean time, I would love to see Chavez on our team during Spring Training and give Dominguez/Wes/Bonifacio some competition for 3B.