Home Run Celebration in CF

Tacky, stupid and a waste of money. Worst of all, the stadium will be wonderful, but that monstrosity will be the one thing the national media will focus on, and yes we will be ridiculed about it. I see it being taken down after the 1st year and replaced with something less tacky. Who pays for that when it happens, Loria or the taxpayers ?

Who pays for that when it happens, Loria or the taxpayers?

Local taxpayers aren't paying for anything other than through their purchase of tickets should they choose to buy one or more. Part (1% of 6%) of the Miami-Dade hotel bed tax (paid almost exclusively by tourists) is dedicated to retiring the M-D bond debt.

Without reading the contracts, I'll guess that since M-D owns it, if Loria wants to unilaterally change something he gets to pay for the change, assuming that he has the right to do it or can get agreement. The Marlins are merely the operator of the stadium, not necessarily the arbiter of what will happen if they don't like this or that feature. Any major or even minor change would probably be the subject of negotiation with M-D for approval with the Marlins footing all or most of the cost.

Who pays for that when it happens, Loria or the taxpayers?

Local taxpayers aren't paying for anything other than through their purchase of tickets should they choose to buy one or more. Part (1% of 6%) of the Miami-Dade hotel bed tax (paid almost exclusively by tourists) is dedicated to retiring the M-D bond debt.

Without reading the contracts, I'll guess that since M-D owns it, if Loria wants to unilaterally change something he gets to pay for the change, assuming that he has the right to do it or can get agreement. The Marlins are merely the operator of the stadium, not necessarily the arbiter of what will happen if they don't like this or that feature. Any major or even minor change would probably be the subject of negotiation with M-D for approval with the Marlins footing all or most of the cost.

I think you might be wrong about that one. I believe the hr celebration and the orange bowl letters outside are paid for by the art in public places trust fund, I don't think that is funded by the hotel tax, although it may come from the project budget, in which case you would be right. I had a hard time tracking down where the money in the trust came from

I believe the hr celebration and the orange bowl letters outside are paid for by the art in public places trust fund

Yup, you're exactly right. Amongst all the blah, blah, blah at http://www.miamidade...sts-marlins.asp is this:

One of the first public art programs in the country, Miami-Dade Art in Public Places was established in 1973 with the passage of an ordinance allocating 1.5% of construction cost of new county buildings for the purchase or commission of artworks, educational programs and collection maintenance.

See also miamidade.gov/publicart and miamidadearts.org

if you really care about how M-D wastes our money. They solicit bids for projects at the stadium:

Project: Miami-Dade County Art in Public Places Miami Marlins Ballpark

Estimated Public Art Budget: $5,500,000

in detail:

Home Run Entertainment Feature $2.5 million

Plaza Roof Column Illumination $1 million

Stadium Entrance/Plaza $1 million

Children's Recreation Area $1.5 million

Glass Curtain Wall at Street Level $2 million

Commemorative Marker $300,000

Except that all that stuff adds up to $8.3 million.

If the stadium is $515 million, 1.5% would be $7.725 million. Tack on the parking ramps for $100 million (city, not county project, but who cares?) and 1.5% is $9.225 million. I have no any idea where $5.5 million came from. Close enough for government work.

As for Loria's control over this sort of stuff, who knows?

I'll stick with what I said:

Or, Loria might be able to get the "Art in Public Places" tax earmark to pay for a mulligan, but I really have no idea whether that's possible or not.

I'm crossing my fingers that the drawing is a goof or just a first proposal that got canned. When my Rep described it, he just said a giant Marlin, not a picture of Biscayne Bay on acid. Now I understand that a Rep is just the low man on the totem pole, but I'm hoping the final product doesn't look like that, as I will be sitting directly next to it.

I haven't seen the video, but doesn't it make sense that these 3 marlins are on tracks around the perimeter of each of the 3 oblong segments and circle the top of each segment in succession as each segment rises to the top?

It may turn out to be a total disaster and get laughed at nation-wide, but there would be no doubt that it's unique.

I'll reserve judgment until I see it in action. It better be good, they paid $2.5 million for it.

Like I said, I haven't seen any video, but for $2.5 million you would think it might have a whole lot of moving parts.

Looking at the rendition in post #23, it looks like the idea might be tracks around the perimeters that the 3 marlins (I keep wanting to type dolphins) would follow. In alternating left/right directions. They all start at the bottom and go up and over the top as each segment rises above the last, to the total alleged height of 65'.

That's how I would have done it, anyway. What it actually is remains to be seen.

I'm crossing my fingers that the drawing is a goof or just a first proposal that got canned. When my Rep described it, he just said a giant Marlin, not a picture of Biscayne Bay on acid. Now I understand that a Rep is just the low man on the totem pole, but I'm hoping the final product doesn't look like that, as I will be sitting directly next to it.

My friend I think your hopes for a flying Marlin are going to leave you disappointed. They went out are hired Red Grooms (I think thats the name) to design this. His artwork is not simple by any means. I am with you, I would love a badass marlin to come out of the water in center field, however based on the artist I think it is going to look more like the rendering then we would all like.

With that said we should all give it a chance, we have not seen it and they may pull it off. In addition, I think we may all grow to like it over time.

My friend I think your hopes for a flying Marlin are going to leave you disappointed. They went out are hired Red Grooms (I think thats the name) to design this. His artwork is not simple by any means. I am with you, I would love a badass marlin to come out of the water in center field, however based on the artist I think it is going to look more like the rendering then we would all like.

With that said we should all give it a chance, we have not seen it and they may pull it off. In addition, I think we may all grow to like it over time.

Red Grooms...? Is that...you?

Nothing will shock me in terms of structures/monuments after Fulham FC (soccer team based in London) recently revealed a statue of Michael Jackson outside their stadium because he visited it once in 1999.

I wouldnt mind a 30 ft mechanical michael jackson come out and do a jig to "im bad"

That would be f***ing epic!