Marlins interested in re-signing Dobbs

Hammerhead

MIAMI — Greg Dobbs is attracking interest from several teams, one of them being the Nationals. But a return to the Marlins still remains a possibility for the veteran infielder.

Miami remains in the mix to sign Dobbs as a free agent. In 2011, he was a bargain, signing a Minor League deal with an invitation to Spring Training.

Dobbs, 33, initially was used as a left-handed bat off the bench, but he ended up getting regular playing time, mainly at third base.

Dobbs batted .275 with eight home runs and 49 RBIs in 411 at-bats.

As a pinch-hitter, he made big impact, hitting .370 (10-for-27) with a home run and eight RBIs.

I wouldn't mind having him back as he was good off the bench but if it becomes a bidding war of any kind with Washington, let him go.

I wouldnt mind bringing Posada as a bench bat

He'd be only that, a bench bat. I want a guy that can be a bench bat and a defender.

Bench of.....

Greg Dobbs

Brett Hayes

Aaron Rowand

Bryan Petersen

???

Sounds pretty solid.

??? = Donnie Murphy, my friend.

??? = Chris Coghlan, too.

??? = Mike Mordecai, too :exercise

there's really no way to tell. Coghlan hardly played last year.

I'd assume he's better, though.

He's not.

Has Peterson ever hit over .320 for a full Major League season as a full-time starter?

I don't care if it was ten years ago, Coghlan is a more productive major leaguer and that will show soon enough. I don't know why it seems so many people root against the guy. In his rookie year he played in 128 games with 504 AB's; since then, in two years he has only played in 156 total games and had 627 AB's, almost none of that playing time was consistent and most of it was injured. He STILL has a career slash line of .283/.350/.414... I wouldn't give up on this guy so quickly.

The question was "who's better?" and I'm going with Bryan Petersen.

Even if Coghlan goes back to his old ways of hitting (which seems unlikely), Petersen is still a better fit for this team.

Coghlan is not going to start next year after what Bonifacio did last year; that much is clear.

This means that both guys are battling for a 4th OF'er spot. Considering Bonifacio's inexperience in CF and Morrison's ineptitude in LF, I want my 4th OF'er to be an above average defensive player.

At the end of the day, the above average defensive player here is Bryan Petersen. Chris Coghlan, on the other hand, is either playing out of position in the OF or he simply has no position at all; this is actually why he has very little trade value, at the moment.

The question was "who's better?" and I'm going with Bryan Petersen.

Even if Coghlan goes back to his old ways of hitting (which seems unlikely), Petersen is still a better fit for this team.

Coghlan is not going to start next year after what Bonifacio did last year; that much is clear.

This means that both guys are battling for a 4th OF'er spot. Considering Bonifacio's inexperience in CF and Morrison's ineptitude in LF, I want my 4th OF'er to be an above average defensive player.

At the end of the day, the above average defensive player here is Bryan Petersen. Chris Coghlan, on the other hand, is either playing out of position in the OF or he simply has no position at all; this is actually why he has very little trade value, at the moment.

If Coghlan went back to hitting the way he did in '09, he would not be a 4th outfielder.

Why? Coghlan in '09 >>> Gaby in any year. You would move LoMo to 1st and put Coghlan in left, shipping Gaby out. If Coghlan goes back to performing, you have that flexibility, and when he was on his game he was a much more valuable hitter than Gaby, playing a position where his production is worth more since major league LFers are terrible these days.

Do I think Peterson would be a better fit off the bench? Yes, for the reasons you cited. Do I think he is the more valuable/talented player? Absolutely not, and this is why I'm rooting for Chris to come in and make this team better. If he goes back to his '09 form, it makes this team much better, and a lot more flexible. If he doesn't, no worries, we move on.