Marlins interested in Jorge Soler

jsprt05

http://mlbbuzz.yardbarker.com/blog/mlbbuzz/here_comes_soler/9939016?new_post=true

"Scouts say that Soler, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-handed hitter, possesses power comparable to that of a player with a similar build, Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton. Soler does not run as well as Stanton, however, and ultimately could end up at first base."

http://mlbbuzz.yardb...6?new_post=true

"Scouts say that Soler, a 6-foot-3, 205-pound right-handed hitter, possesses power comparable to that of a player with a similar build, Marlins right fielder Mike Stanton. Soler does not run as well as Stanton, however, and ultimately could end up at first base."

I've heard a lot of different things about this kid. I don't see the Marlins investing $20 Million in a true prospect at 19-years-old. That's MORE than first overall draft pick kind of money, and that's way too much for a kid that may end up losing a ton of value at first base. Although this report differs from others I have read that state he runs the 60 in 6.7 seconds, which is pretty quick for a big guy.

Imagine them two 4 and 5 in the line-up ... :drool

Even if he does end up at first base, that's fine with me.

EDIT: Although I just read he's got an incredible arm, so ... why not stick him in right field where he's more-so projected to play and put Stanton in center? Just an idea.

EDIT: Although I just read he's got an incredible arm, so ... why not stick him in right field where he's more-so projected to play and put Stanton in center? Just an idea.

Stanton can't play center. Not because he isn't capable, but because you really don't want to put that kind of wear on his big body... You want to keep him healthy and slugging.

Stanton can't play center. Not because he isn't capable, but because you really don't want to put that kind of wear on his big body... You want to keep him healthy and slugging.

I'm sure he could be just fine playing center. If he stays in right field, it'll be a strain on him as well considering how big right field is in the new park.

It's just an idea, really.

I'm sure he could be just fine playing center. If he stays in right field, it'll be a strain on him as well considering how big right field is in the new park.

It's just an idea, really.

Not really. The only strain in the OF is really on CFers, chasing down balls in the gaps. The RF and LF can get to balls in the gaps, but ultimately, that responsibility belongs to your CFer. Stanton could play the position (not too well IMO), but it clearly wouldn't be ideal. This is the EXACT reason why there's a ton of skeptisism in Washington about Werth playing CF if Harper makes the show. It's not that he can't, but do you REALLY want your big ass $140 Million man roaming CF? No, not really.

Marlins have been interested in pretty much every big FA this off-season so it's really no surprise that they're interested in Soler.

Just remember what happened with Pujols, Fielder & Cespedes--we could be the "clear favorites" to sign him & end up losing to a team who we had no idea was even involved.

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Marlins have serious interest in Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

The Fish missed out on Yoenis Cespedes earlier this week and will now apparently direct their focus toward the younger but less-hyped Soler. The 19-year-old worked out for the Blue Jays on Wednesday morning in the Dominican Republic and is scheduled to meet with the Orioles on Sunday. The Cubs, Yankees, Red Sox, White Sox and Phillies have also expressed interest. Soler is waiting to be granted free agency by Major League Baseball, and must first establish residency in the Dominican. That could take a few weeks.

--Rotoworld

not sure if this is the 790 source Frisario is talking about, but when Samson was on LeBatard's show a few hours ago he did not by any means say they had "no interest." He said they hadn't met with him or made any kind of offer. Other than his normal dumb routine I didn't hear anything that made me think they had no interest. The price might certainly count them out, but that's a separate matter.

I like him, put him in right, move Stanton to left, LoMo to 1b and use Gaby for pitching. Actually brought him up a few months back looks like he has a good set of skills.

He'd be in Jupiter this year if we signed him.

There's 0% chance we sign him. First of all, we aren't interested. We lost the Cuban player we wanted much like Pujols. It's the same Fielder situation. They all start rumors saying we are interested when we are not. And, the Marlins are done this off-season. No other team will let the Marlins sign another decent player. We have lost on 3 players in a row.

Repeat, we will not sign this guy. :) Let's just focus on the team we have now.

There's 0% chance we sign him. First of all, we aren't interested. We lost the Cuban player we wanted much like Pujols. It's the same Fielder situation. They all start rumors saying we are interested when we are not. And, the Marlins are done this off-season. No other team will let the Marlins sign another decent player. We have lost on 3 players in a row.

Repeat, we will not sign this guy. :) Let's just focus on the team we have now.

There is nothing in here resembling an explanation; your reasoning is circular at best. We're allowed to be interested in more than one outfielder of the same nationality. We might not be, but that wouldn't be due to their respective countries of origin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.