Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Long term deal for Giancarlo

Featured Replies

Buster Olney just tweeted this:

 

@Buster_ESPN: By the way: The Marlins have talked about presenting a big, crooked number in a contract offer to Giancarlo Stanton, sometime soon.

He still needs to cut down on the K's & make more contact but he just has so much freaken potential that this is definitely the right move. I mean, I've never seen the ball shoot out as fast & hard as it does when it hits his bat (how the heck does he do it?). Not only that but hes in absolutely amazing shape & could do a lot of things with speed as well. Really a no-brainer to give him a long term contract.

But what is Hanley saying about the move to third base, Buster?

 

Exactly.

 

Plus this isn't really news. No sh*t they have talked about it. Sometime soon? Anyone follow blizzard releases? Sometime soon is relative.

 

He later specified something might get done as early as this Spring Training.

But what is Hanley saying about the move to third base, Buster?

 

Exactly.

 

Plus this isn't really news. No sh*t they have talked about it. Sometime soon? Anyone follow blizzard releases? Sometime soon is relative.

 

He later specified something might get done as early as this Spring Training.

I might take a dump this morning too. The guy just tweets crap with nothing behind it.

 

Yes, but he has sources.

But what is Hanley saying about the move to third base, Buster?

 

Exactly.

 

Plus this isn't really news. No sh*t they have talked about it. Sometime soon? Anyone follow blizzard releases? Sometime soon is relative.

 

He later specified something might get done as early as this Spring Training.

I might take a dump this morning too. The guy just tweets crap with nothing behind it.

 

Yes, but he has sources.

So does squall.

This is good cause I just ordered an Authentic Stanton Miami Marlins Jersey

 

 

Already got one, I figured if anyone is going to be here forever that's the guy...

I'd give him a 6 year-18 million dollar deal

 

 

No need, since he isn't even in his arbitration years yet. Sign him to a long term deal, 8-10 years and buy out most of his peak free agency. More than likely something around 8 years, $100-Million up to maybe 10-years, $140 Million.

I'd give him a 6 year-18 million dollar deal

 

 

No need, since he isn't even in his arbitration years yet. Sign him to a long term deal, 8-10 years and buy out most of his peak free agency. More than likely something around 8 years, $100-Million up to maybe 10-years, $140 Million.

Wow, that's a whole lot of money for Stanton...I mean, I'd give him the 140 for 10, but Idk whether the FO would do that or not and would rather do the shorter deal ala Longoria or H2R...

I'd give him a 6 year-18 million dollar deal

 

 

No need, since he isn't even in his arbitration years yet. Sign him to a long term deal, 8-10 years and buy out most of his peak free agency. More than likely something around 8 years, $100-Million up to maybe 10-years, $140 Million.

Wow, that's a whole lot of money for Stanton...I mean, I'd give him the 140 for 10, but Idk whether the FO would do that or not and would rather do the shorter deal ala Longoria or H2R...

 

Well, it's a lot yes... but the way it would be structured makes sense.

 

First year $4 million or so out of good faith by the Marlins (instead of the minimum $480,000)

Second year $8 million (would-be first arbitration year)

Third year $10 million (would-be second arbitration year)

Fourth year $12 million (would-be third arbitration year)

Fifth year $14 million (first year free agency)

Sixth year $18 million (second year free agency)

Seventh year $18 million (third year free agency)

Eighth year $18 million (fourth year free agency)

Ninth year $18 million (fifth year free agency)

Tenth year $18 million (sixth year free agency)

 

I would think this is how a deal like that would go. I think an 8-year deal would be structured the same way just two years shorter for less risk on the Marlins part.

They must have read my arguments in the debates. Damn you penguino!

 

I actually think it's best to do it now, but it won't be a big deal if they wait a year.

 

If he hits 45-50 HR's this year his deal might have to be 10-15 % higher. Do it now, or wait and watch him leave for the Dodgers in a few years. That is his hometown team. During his "Inside the Marlins" show last year he made it very clear he wanted to play for the Dodgers sometime down the line.

I'm also in favor of locking him up right now. As has been said, its not a huge proposition to wait a year but we really don't stand to gain much by doing so. The price will certainly be driven up, and there's the possibility that he really reaches the next level and we're getting into significant increases.

 

I mean what is Stanton's floor really? He put up a .900 OPS as a 21 year old. Everything points towards him getting better, particularly if he starts hitting more fly balls. A couple more months of evaluation probably isn't going to change things, and I'd be fairly surprised if he isn't locked up by July.

 

And there's no way in hell the Marlins allow him to leave for the Dodgers in the next few years, whether or not a deal gets done this year.

I'm also in favor of locking him up right now. As has been said, its not a huge proposition to wait a year but we really don't stand to gain much by doing so. The price will certainly be driven up, and there's the possibility that he really reaches the next level and we're getting into significant increases.

 

I mean what is Stanton's floor really? He put up a .900 OPS as a 21 year old. Everything points towards him getting better, particularly if he starts hitting more fly balls. A couple more months of evaluation probably isn't going to change things, and I'd be fairly surprised if he isn't locked up by July.

 

And there's no way in hell the Marlins allow him to leave for the Dodgers in the next few years, whether or not a deal gets done this year.

 

What's his floor? That's a good question. He's got such monster power and plays such a good RF that I can't imagine him being worse than a 2-3 WAR player even if he hits .220 and strikes out 200 times.

There's never been a long term deal I've wanted the Marlins to get done more.

Not long after Olney reported this, Peter Gammons Tweeted that no discussions are currently ongoing according to what he's heard. So it's all very unclear. But I certainly hope they're working on something.

Not long after Olney reported this, Peter Gammons Tweeted that no discussions are currently ongoing according to what he's heard. So it's all very unclear. But I certainly hope they're working on something.

 

I trust Gammons more than I do Olney. With all of the Hanley stuff Olney hasn't been very credible lately.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.