Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Philip Humber is Pretty Good

Featured Replies

I watched the final out. I guess nerves made Ryan swing (maybe, maybe not) at that last pitch, but that was a god awful pitch on a full count. Congrats to Philip Humber for the 22nd (ya, I said it) perfect game in history.

 

Except I personally believe Joyce got the call right.

I'm in the very, very, very slim minority.

Wow-Never knew there were people who actually believe Joyce got the call right. I mean, from what I recall, even the runner was shocked he was called safe. If you watch the play in slow-mo & stop it as soon as the ball goes in the glove I just don't see there being any way you'd still think the same.

Split second after he was off the bag, he had to shift the ball in his glove to hold it, meaning he didn't have control of the ball [as in, slight bobble.] If you notice, the replay that is the LEAST shown is the one coming from left field showing the ball shift.

I watched the final out. I guess nerves made Ryan swing (maybe, maybe not) at that last pitch, but that was a god awful pitch on a full count. Congrats to Philip Humber for the 22nd (ya, I said it) perfect game in history.

 

 

Well considering Ryan didn't really swing and the fact that you claim Galarraga threw a perfect game, shouldn't it still be 21 perfect games....?

I watched the final out. I guess nerves made Ryan swing (maybe, maybe not) at that last pitch, but that was a god awful pitch on a full count. Congrats to Philip Humber for the 22nd (ya, I said it) perfect game in history.

 

Except I personally believe Joyce got the call right.

I'm in the very, very, very slim minority.

Wow-Never knew there were people who actually believe Joyce got the call right. I mean, from what I recall, even the runner was shocked he was called safe. If you watch the play in slow-mo & stop it as soon as the ball goes in the glove I just don't see there being any way you'd still think the same.

Split second after he was off the bag, he had to shift the ball in his glove to hold it, meaning he didn't have control of the ball [as in, slight bobble.] If you notice, the replay that is the LEAST shown is the one coming from left field showing the ball shift.

He never lost control of it. He caught it in the webbing but then regripped it. That's an out. If it were a bobble, the official scorer would have ruled an error to at least keep the no-hitter intact.

I watched the final out. I guess nerves made Ryan swing (maybe, maybe not) at that last pitch, but that was a god awful pitch on a full count. Congrats to Philip Humber for the 22nd (ya, I said it) perfect game in history.

 

Except I personally believe Joyce got the call right.

I'm in the very, very, very slim minority.

Wow-Never knew there were people who actually believe Joyce got the call right. I mean, from what I recall, even the runner was shocked he was called safe. If you watch the play in slow-mo & stop it as soon as the ball goes in the glove I just don't see there being any way you'd still think the same.

Split second after he was off the bag, he had to shift the ball in his glove to hold it, meaning he didn't have control of the ball [as in, slight bobble.] If you notice, the replay that is the LEAST shown is the one coming from left field showing the ball shift.

He never lost control of it. He caught it in the webbing but then regripped it. That's an out. If it were a bobble, the official scorer would have ruled an error to at least keep the no-hitter intact.

Exactly.

 

Anyway, just saw a replay of the last out & although I agree Ryan didn't go around he definitely at least started to swing. It was a bad call but I've seen plenty worse than that. I also think it's very possible that the ump got caught up in the emotions & assumed he went all the way around as it was at least somewhat close.

Sure 100 out of 100 times that's left for side ump to call, but with a perfect game going I bet that would be called a strike 100 out of 100 times. It's just too close.

Certainly still looks like a check to me. At most it should have been an appeal to the first base umpire.

 

Like a check? The bat was still moving forwards after the ball passed it AND it broke the plane. I don't see how that wasn't a swing.

Tie goes to the player who has a perfect game on the line.

 

 

Agreed. Although... I still think he checked it.

 

But f*** him for throwing a hissy fit about it afterwards. If I were him I would've let my bat rip and allowed the PG to happen. Just as an... ode to Armando Galarraga.

I think that the amateur video, since it's taken from a higher angle, distorts the position of the bat head. If you try to pair it with the TV view by time, it clarifies things a little better.

 

That video really gives you a poor perspective of the front edge of the plate.

I think he went.

 

It's a tough call, really. I don't think it should make the perfect game thrown by Humber less attractive because of the call.

This call could be either way. Since numerous calls in every game fall into that, especially strike/ball, that standard cannot be applied to lessen this accomplishment.

yeah. added him in my fantasy league too. 9ER? geez......... team era went from 3.5's to 3.8's

  • 2 weeks later...

In 3 starts since perfect game: 13.1 IP, 20 ER (15.03 ERA).

 

"Pretty good"? We need a new thread title...

 

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent down soon...

In 3 starts since perfect game: 13.1 IP, 20 ER (15.03 ERA).

 

"Pretty good"? We need a new thread title...

 

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent down soon...

 

Just goes to show that anyone can have one of those days where everything falls into place!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.