Roof to be closed till October?

MIAMI -- The hard-to-reach outfield fences at the Miami Marlins' new ballpark will remain that way.

Some have argued the fences should be moved in because home runs are too difficult to hit, but Marlins president David Samson says the ballpark plays the way it was designed.

"We have no reason to think about doing anything with the fences," Samson said Tuesday. "The park is playing fair. It's a pitcher-friendly park, but there's an ability to hit home runs."

The outfield is substantially bigger than at the Marlins' former home, with power alleys of 386 feet in left-center field and 392 in right-center. In the first 15 games at the ballpark, more than a dozen flyballs were caught on the warning track.

"Here's how we built it: We want it to be pitcher-friendly, but fair to hitters who get all of it," Samson said. "No cheapies. If you get it, we want it to go."

Frustrated hitters and Arizona manager Kirk Gibson have said the park is too big. Going into Tuesday's game against Pittsburgh, there had been 20 homers by both teams in the Marlins' 15 home games, and 33 homers in their 20 road games.

Marlins pitchers had given up 14 homers on the road and only seven at home.

"We're very happy with how the ballpark is playing," Samson said.

The Marlins are also happy with attendance in their 36,000-seat home. Through Monday they were averaging 30,180 fans per game, which ranks 15th in the majors. The Marlins averaged 19,007 per game last year, and ranked last in the NL in attendance each of the past seven seasons.

Samson said crowds have been even better than it might appear when looking at the stands, because of the wide, inviting concourses.

"There are more people milling than we even expected -- thousands of people at any time," he said. The nightclub beyond the left-field fence is selling out, he said.

Pirates manager Clint Hurdle made his first visit to the Marlins' new home this week and was delighted by the big, noisy crowds.

"I love the park," he said. "Compared to where they were, this is a great upgrade. There's great electricity."

There are a few flaws, however. The turf in center and right field has gone brown because of insufficient sunlight, and workers continue experimenting with possible solutions. They re-sodded once, and a different kind of grass may be installed for next season, but artificial turf isn't being considered, Samson said.

The biggest challenge has been to regulate the air-conditioning throughout the ballpark. Because of unusually warm spring weather, the retractable roof has been open for only four games and will likely be closed the rest of the season -- or until October, at least.

The Marlins lifted their no-umbrella policy, Samson said, after a fan pointed out an umbrella can come in handy in South Florida on the walk from the car to the ballpark.

http://espn.go.com/m...fences-moved-in

Well this kinda sucks...

I wish people would shut the f*** up about the park dimensions and "suppression" of home runs.

The park is ranked 11th of 16 in HR/game. It's defintely a pitchers park, but let's not pretend it's some crazy abnormality.

I also wonder how much the quality of the Marlins starting pitching (a lot of groundballs) and the struggling offense has to do with that home run rate. Remember that the Marlins have been on the road a bunch so there's not a huge sampling.

I wish people would shut the f*** up about the park dimensions and "suppression" of home runs.

The park is ranked 11th of 16 in HR/game. It's defintely a pitchers park, but let's not pretend it's some crazy abnormality.

I also wonder how much the quality of the Marlins starting pitching (a lot of groundballs) and the struggling offense has to do with that home run rate. Remember that the Marlins have been on the road a bunch so there's not a huge sampling.

Oh...i agree. I didn't really pay attention to the majority of the article. Only the part that I bolded since I found it rather interesting and kinda horrible at the same time.

Oh...i agree. I didn't really pay attention to the majority of the article. Only the part that I bolded since I found it rather interesting and kinda horrible at the same time.

I'm not talking about the fact that you posted this (I'm glad you did). I'm becoming frustrated with people like Kirk Gibson and the "frustrated hitters" who are jumping to conclusions about the park.

I'm not talking about the fact that you posted this (I'm glad you did). I'm becoming frustrated with people like Kirk Gibson and the "frustrated hitters" who are jumping to conclusions about the park.

Totally agree. Like I said before...You build a team on pitching speed and defense, and you build a ball park to be a pitchers park, you DON'T change the park. Other teams don't like it? Too bad. Don't think it was built for them.

Why is this horrible? Have you forgotten what it is like to sit in heat, humidity, and rain? Leave it closed until the playoffs!

Totally agree. Like I said before...You build a team on pitching speed and defense, and you build a ball park to be a pitchers park, you DON'T change the park. Other teams don't like it? Too bad. Don't think it was built for them.

just wanted to highlight this significant moment here everyone. Take note of the time and date! You may never see it again!

You know what I would like them to do but would probably be beyond expensive?

I think the stadium would benefit have a kind of taught fabric ceiling. It would disguise the warehouse feel.

Ya lost me on this. You want to get rid of the retractable and put in a tarp?

Anyway.......Last I heard this is what the Rays were trying for on the stadium that they wanted built. The idea goes back to the Romans with the Coliseum who actually had sailors stationed there, pulling ropes to open and close it. No idea what ever happened with the Rays quest for a new home.

I think the stadium would benefit have a kind of taught fabric ceiling. It would disguise the warehouse feel.

Anyway.......Last I heard this is what the Rays were trying for on the stadium that they wanted built. The idea goes back to the Romans with the Coliseum who actually had sailors stationed there, pulling ropes to open and close it. No idea what ever happened with the Rays quest for a new home.

I think he meant having a tarp-like material on the underside of the roof sections.

Regarding the Rays' stadium, the funding measure was voted down by the residents of St. Pete. The Rays really want to move to Tampa proper, but St. Pete is holding them to their lease to keep them from mo img across the bay. Last I heard, Tampa had offered a new proposal where they'd build a new cruise ship terminal on the St. Pete side of the bay in exchange for letting the Rays out if their lease so they could move to Tampa.

I think he meant having a tarp-like material on the underside of the roof sections.

Regarding the Rays' stadium, the funding measure was voted down by the residents of St. Pete. The Rays really want to move to Tampa proper, but St. Pete is holding them to their lease to keep them from mo img across the bay. Last I heard, Tampa had offered a new proposal where they'd build a new cruise ship terminal on the St. Pete side of the bay in exchange for letting the Rays out if their lease so they could move to Tampa.

Your right on it, just add an underside to the roof.

For what purpose? I like it the way it is.

For what purpose? I like it the way it is.

To take away some of the warehouse feel and to provide some sound absorption. Ive noticed that sound really cares and echoes, more so then other roofed facilities. Atleats that how it sounds on tv. In person could be different.