Some of Redmond's Decisions

h2r09

Why in the world do we continue to not only play Ed Lucas but bat him ahead of guys we want to get a better look at?

The weird thing is that he said the other day that when Ruggiano wasn't starting he said the team wants the young guys to play more, yet they are batting so far down in the lineup that they are behind guys like Solano and Ed Lucas?

Let the kids bat as high in the lineup as possible. Jesus. Having those 2 black holes getting at bats before guys like Hechavarria and Marisnick makes absolutely no sense when our team is about 30 games under .500.

Why don't we judge Red during a season that means anything at all?

Because he's getting paid for this year, as well.

Yea, I get that, but I doubt any manager on the verge of a 100 loss season is using the most sound strategies to win rather than just figuring certain things out to try and win next year.

BTW, really nice to see Lucas not batting fifth today. It almost looks like a real lineup.

All managers make mistakes but it's perfectly reasonable to say that some managers make more mistakes (and more egregious ones) than others.

Redmond's mistakes are probably no worse than the mistakes of other managers.

In Redmond's case, I'd emphasize the frequency of mistakes. I definitely think he's below average in that respect. He's the worst in-game decision maker the Marlins have had since Girardi.

All managers make mistakes but it's perfectly reasonable to say that some managers make more mistakes (and more egregious ones) than others.

Redmond's mistakes are probably no worse than the mistakes of other managers.

In Redmond's case, I'd emphasize the frequency of mistakes. I definitely think he's below average in that respect. He's the worst in-game decision maker the Marlins have had since Girardi.

I really think a manager's job is pretty irrelevant other than managing the bullpen. Other than that, they're all robots doing much of the same things. They make a lot of money for on-field decisions that the average fan could make.

Redmond's mistakes are probably no worse than the mistakes of other managers.In Redmond's case, I'd emphasize the frequency of mistakes. I definitely think he's below average in that respect. He's the worst in-game decision maker the Marlins have had since Girardi.

I really think a manager's job is pretty irrelevant other than managing the bullpen. Other than that, they're all robots doing much of the same things. They make a lot of money for on-field decisions that the average fan could make.

I don't feel this way. The batting order should be optimized, pinch hitters used appropriately, the defense aligned efficiently, and strategy involved with bunting/hit and runs, etc.

And, of course, managing the bullpen is no small task. You shouldn't gloss over it.

These decisions have impacts on the outcomes of games. No average fan could make them.

However, at the same time, I don't think that Charlie Manuel has suddenly become a "bad manager," for example (not that he was necessarily a great one a few years ago, either). The manager's decisions do impact games, though, even if the talent on the field is much more important. It's the manager's job to extract as much value out of his talent as he can and some are much better at this than others are.

Can you cite specific examples of things that Mike Redmond is doing wrong with this team that is having a negative impact on the outcome of games? I can't.

Come on now. Weren't you the guy bashing Redmond a few weeks ago for sending Cishek out for a second inning? That move certainly impacted the outcome of the game.

Can you cite specific examples of things that Mike Redmond is doing wrong with this team that is having a negative impact on the outcome of games? I can't.

Come on now. Weren't you the guy bashing Redmond a few weeks ago for sending Cishek out for a second inning? That move certainly impacted the outcome of the game.

That's also one move. I'd say that's been his worst one. I also didn't necessarily disagree with letting him pitch a 2nd inning, but rather the extent of pitches he let him throw in that game when he was clearly struggling at the time.

Either way, it's one move.

I also don't think he's the worst in-game manager we've had since Girardi considering we had Ozzie Guillen just last year.

That's also one move. I'd say that's been his worst one. I also didn't necessarily disagree with letting him pitch a 2nd inning, but rather the extent of pitches he let him throw in that game when he was clearly struggling at the time.

I also don't think he's the worst in-game manager we've had since Girardi considering we had Ozzie Guillen just last year.

I never said it was the only move. I used that example because you are saying now that you can't think of instances where Redmond's poor decisions have influenced the outcome of the game.

I am in no position to recall the circumstances of every bad decision Redmond has made. Another example that comes to mind was one of the games in the Mets series. The Marlins were down 5-3 in the 6th inning and had a runner on second with one out. Redmond left Turner in to bat (he made the second out without advancing the runner). However, Redmond then pulled Turner immediately after facing only one batter (who recorded an out) in the top of the 7th. It's completely idiotic to leave the pitcher to bat with RISP when you ultimately planned to only use him against one batter in the next inning.

There's plenty of other examples of this stuff happening but you can't expect me to recall them all.

Also, for what it's worth, Redmond has frustrated me more than Ozzie has.

I mean, think of it this way, when was the last time anyone on here liked a manager? They're all pretty much the same. Speaking of terrible decision makers, we once had Fredi Gonzalez too.

I liked McKeon (both times) for what it's worth. Regardless, there's always a lesser of the evils. People might not have liked Fredi or Ozzie, but that doesn't mean that one can't be noticeably worse than the other.

I never said it was the only move. I used that example because you are saying now that you can't think of instances where Redmond's poor decisions have influenced the outcome of the game.

I am in no position to recall the circumstances of every bad decision Redmond has made. Another example that comes to mind was one of the games in the Mets series. The Marlins were down 5-3 in the 6th inning and had a runner on second with one out. Redmond left Turner in to bat (he made the second out without advancing the runner). However, Redmond then pulled Turner immediately after facing only one batter (who recorded an out) in the top of the 7th. It's completely idiotic to leave the pitcher to bat with RISP when you ultimately planned to only use him against one batter in the next inning.

There's plenty of other examples of this stuff happening but you can't expect me to recall them all.

Also, for what it's worth, Redmond has frustrated me more than Ozzie has.

Considering you called him the worst decision maker since Girardi and he frustrates you so much, I'd expect you to recall more than a couple of things.

It's pretty difficult to manage a team that's been one of the worst offenses in the history of baseball.

Also, I don't understand how he's been more frustrating than Ozzie considering that Ozzie had the same stupid mentality that Redmond has. Ozzie, too, loved Solano and hit him 2nd every day. Ozzie would hit Carlos Lee and Austin Kearns in the cleanup spot. Ozzie would let Heath Bell close all year because he's "his closer." At the very least, they were both equally frustrating.