Brian Flynn

Wild Card

Holy f***. It's two starts. He did fine in AAA, he's adjusting to Major League hitters.

What's the deal?

This might surprise you, but not all players who perform decently in the minors perform well in the major leagues--especially in the beginning.

Just something to talk about guys...

CHRIS COGHLAN=GOD WHO ELSE AGREES!???????

/purposely being a d*ck

And there's nothing to talk about with this team. They suck, they're going to suck next season, and it's going to be quite a while until they stop sucking.

But there is always next year!

I had a disagreement with someone about Flynn in the Minor League Forums. Something about trading Alvarez and giving his spot to Flynn and how we can tell how someone will do in the majors by how they do in the minors. I know it's still too early to write him off, but hopefully now you see my point..

/purposely being a d*ck

And there's nothing to talk about with this team. They suck, they're going to suck next season, and it's going to be quite a while until they stop sucking.

Nonsense. Plenty to talk about. Hence the existence of this website.

/purposely being a d*ck

Someone is perky.

I can't say he's part of the long term plans,there are a couple of pitchers that look like they'll be better, but he had a great minor league season and I think he gets it turned around in his next couple of starts.

Hopefully he can turn it around. The stuff seems to be there, just needs to get adjusted to that major league strike zone and hopefully throw a few more K's.

I can't say he's part of the long term plans,there are a couple of pitchers that look like they'll be better, but he had a great minor league season and I think he gets it turned around in his next couple of starts.

Hopefully he can turn it around. The stuff seems to be there, just needs to get adjusted to that major league strike zone and hopefully throw a few more K's.

i would argue his stuff looks pretty mediocre actually. I'm still optimistic about him.

I could be wrong, but didn't most scouting reports have this guy as someone who could reach the mid-90's with his fastball? That's part of the reason why I was excited.

The few times I've watched him pitch, his stuff kinda sucks. 89-90, just another soft-tossing lefty.

He's also walking a lot of guys. It's as though he's pitching injured.

I could be wrong, but didn't most scouting reports have this guy as someone who could reach the mid-90's with his fastball? That's part of the reason why I was excited.

The few times I've watched him pitch, his stuff kinda sucks. 89-90, just another soft-tossing lefty.

Yeah I was expecting much higher velocity on the FB per scouting reports

Flynn is a big guy, listed at 6-8, 240, born April 19, 1990. From his size you'd think he throws very hard, and it is true he can hit 95-96 MPH on his best days. More commonly he works at 91-93, and he worked at 90-92 yesterday. The velocity variance has been going on since his days with the Shockers, which led some scouts to project him as a reliever when he was drafted, thinking that he'd throw at his maximum velocity more consistently in shorter stretches.

Looking at the start, mind you didn't watch, it seems to me that he got into a lot of 3-2 counts, and tried to be tricky and missed. When I saw him in the minors he did the same thing. He wasn't able to put mistakes behind him. If he can turn the 3-2 counts into k's he will be fine. Also when I saw him in the minors I saw him hit 96 several times, maybe it was a good day.

Looking at the start, mind you didn't watch, it seems to me that he got into a lot of 3-2 counts, and tried to be tricky and missed. When I saw him in the minors he did the same thing. He wasn't able to put mistakes behind him. If he can turn the 3-2 counts into k's he will be fine. Also when I saw him in the minors I saw him hit 96 several times, maybe it was a good day.

It's possible this late in the year he is just fatigued. He's thrown about 170 innings this year...