Marlins trade/FA talk

Hotcorner

Jesus Christ... They better have some great platoon idea or have really good offers for LoMo. I don't understand this shit.

It's completely idiotic. "we need power" doesn't actually mean "we need power." It means "we need offense." Power is one dimension of offense, and it's not likely to improve your club too much if it's all you focus on. Dan Uggla has a shitload of power, but he'd be a terrible pickup. In fact, I'm surprised we didn't trade for him...

If it turns into a platoon with Ruggiano, then great. If not, then maybe we can hope for a mix between his 2012 and 2013 seasons. Something like a .260/.300/.450/.750 line with 20 homers and around 70 RBI. That wouldn't be overly terrible.

However, platooning with Ruggiano in left, Jones would get the majority of at bats, maybe 15 homers from him would be great.

Just thoughts, we'll see what happens. I agree with Entendu.

Guest Vince0926

I like lomo but I don't want to hear about twitter anymore. I think that takes away from his focus. Based on 2012 stats Garrett jones is a solid pickup. And they are signing him because they are tired of lomo getting hurt. I get it.

Hey, guys, what about, as a possible platoon at first base:

Garrett Jones

Mark Canha

Canha put up this line in AA:

G      PA  AB  R  H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB  SO  BA  OBP  SLG  OPS  TB
128  504 425 63 116 32  2 13  58  6  1 54 102 .273 .371 .449 .820 191

And his splits against lefties:

.313/.402/.527/.929

Why not?

Guest Vince0926

Whatever dolphinjohn said, I agree 100%. Say what you will but I think they are trying to win now. Plus to make Stanton happy and to expect everyone ready by march 31. No injuries, no b.s.

Garrett Jones

Mark Canha

.313/.402/.527/.929

Why not?

Certainly a possibility.

Garrett Jones

Mark Canha

.313/.402/.527/.929

Why not?

Certainly a possibility.

Except the didn't think enough of him to add him to the 40 man roster and protect him from the rule 5 draft. Not that he will get selected but it just shows that he is not in their plans.

Garrett Jones

Mark Canha

.313/.402/.527/.929

Why not?

Certainly a possibility.

Except the didn't think enough of him to add him to the 40 man roster and protect him from the rule 5 draft. Not that he will get selected but it just shows that he is not in their plans.

Maybe he wasn't two weeks ago. Clearly plans change quickly.

@JCRMarlinsbeat: #Marlins close on a two-year, $7.5M deal with 1Bman Garrett Jones. He would make $2.5M in '14 and $5M in '15.

Damn Marlins, always backloading!

I actually think this deal is a clear sign of their intent. If we aren't in contention and he's hitting, I fully expect him to be dealt in July.

Viewed in isolation Jones replacing Lomo I don't like it, for reasons that have already been discussed here. Even if Jones can also OF.

But I think there's more coming, or at least I hope there is, where it may be possible to package Lomo and other pieces in a multi-team trade that nets us Trumbo. Could be a Winter meeting scenario. Or maybe I'm dreaming.

I agree that the Napoli thing is dead, too bad. Still want to see if he leaves Boston. A scenario could still occur in which Middlebrooks would became available so we need to be patient in dealing Lomo. Lets see what happens.