Marlins trade/FA talk

Hotcorner

I feel like Middlebrooks is the kind of prospect that the Marlins would trade for and entirely miss on. It's not really based on anything but a gut feeling. He did have an unusually low BABIP last year, so there's indication that he'll improve - and Steamer and Oliver have him at the 2 WAR range, so there are stats to refute what I'm saying.

But with CoMo waiting in the wings, it makes no sense to give up anything of value for another young 3B with quite a few years of team control left. Sure we have a good problem in the form of pitching surplus, but I think it would be a mistake to trade those pieces now. I feel like they'd be good trade chips for a Trade Deadline impact player in 2015 if need be.

But with CoMo waiting in the wings, it makes no sense to give up anything of value for another young 3B with quite a few years of team control left. Sure we have a good problem in the form of pitching surplus, but I think it would be a mistake to trade those pieces now. I feel like they'd be good trade chips for a Trade Deadline impact player in 2015 if need be.

Well, he plays 1B and SS too. I'm thinking they slide him to 1B once Colin Moran comes up.

Agree, and not just about Middlebrooks. Not sure about the 2015 thing, but why trade good pieces now? It's not going to give us a playoff run or put fannies in the seats. It's more like doing a trade just because we can do a trade.

Moran's entire career so far is 154 ABs in Greensboro. Hes far from waiting in the wings at this point.

Agree, and not just about Middlebrooks. Not sure about the 2015 thing, but why trade good pieces now? It's not going to give us a playoff run or put fannies in the seats. It's more like doing a trade just because we can do a trade.

If they can trade pitching for young, projectionable club controlled infield hitters, you do the trade. Middlebrooks fits that description. He's not a sure thing so not sure you'd want to deal a Cishek for him (which is what Boston would likely want), but if they can get him for other stuff, pull the trigger on the minor league depth. He'd get 500 PA on the Marlins this year easy. Would let them stick Ozuna/Marisnick in the minors, let Yelich play CF for most of the year, shift Jones to a lot of LF, and Middlebrooks. would play 3B/1B and be second on the team in HR. It wouldn't be a trade just to trade. They need longterm infield bats now.

Jeff Baker agrees to a 2 year, $3.7 million deal. Looks like we may be platooning at 1st after all. A Jones/Baker platoon could be pretty productive.

Could be, probably will be. They keep saying it depends on how Jones does, so it looks like he will get the opportunity before they go for that option. Which, for all we know, could be by the end of ST. And no matter what some may think, the far smarter move than trading away players right now just because they could make a trade. Save that option for when it would count. Anyone that actually reads some of the things being said by the FO would know this has been their plan of attack this off season. Sign FAs and keep potential trade pieces.

Declaring a moratorium on the Como nickname. A similar formula didn't work out so well for our last 1B.

• 2 weeks later...

The Red Sox just lost Ryan Dempster for a year, meaning they'll have an extra $13.75MM to spend. While I don't really know too much about the Red Sox pitching situation, MLBTR speculates that they'll feel like they have a shortage of pitching. They also say that it frees up money to re-sign Stephen Drew. If that's the case, then Middlebrooks might be available and the Marlins might have the pieces to get him (if they're willing to deal some MLB-ready SP)

The Red Sox just lost Ryan Dempster for a year, meaning they'll have an extra $13.75MM to spend. While I don't really know too much about the Red Sox pitching situation, MLBTR speculates that they'll feel like they have a shortage of pitching. They also say that it frees up money to re-sign Stephen Drew. If that's the case, then Middlebrooks might be available and the Marlins might have the pieces to get him (if they're willing to deal some MLB-ready SP)

They still have 5 starting pitchers - Lester, Peavy, Buchholz, Lackey, and Doubront. That is pretty good even if that is across the board injury risk. What they need is a legitimate long reliever/swingman/6th SP to plop in the bullpen. Someone like Chris Capuano, etc., one of those fringe starters out there who will eat 100-120 innings in some blowouts and spot starts. If they make a big move, it'll be at the deadline.

Also the Marlins are trying to sign a 5th SP, so I doubt they trade one right now. June, all bets are off.