25 Man Roster

Wild Card

So, normally we come up with one of these threads around this time of year to keep track of who is here and who is gone. I guess we should start this off so we can try and keep track of the depth chart a little bit! We can edit this post as the roster continues to transform.

Starters

C Saltalamacchia

1B Jones

2B Furcal

SS Hechavarria

3B McGehee

LF Yelich

CF Ozuna

RF Stanton

Bench

C Mathis

IF Solano

IF/OF Lucas

IF/OF Dobbs

OF Bogusevic

Rotation

1. Fernandez

2. Eovaldi

3. Alvarez

4. Turner

5. Koehler

Bullpen

Cishek

Dunn

Capps

Ramos

Jennings

AVAILABLE

AVAILABLE

That is 23 spots that are currently accounted for. Looks like there's two spots available in the bullpen. Also a big possibility Dietrich is replaced by another 3B option. But for the most part, most of the roster is set.

I don't think you will see Solano Dobbs and Dietrich all on the team at once. 2/3 only needed IMO. I think they sign a 3b, start Dietrich in the minors and then bring him up later in the year when his bat develops more.

I don't think Koehler opens in the rotation either.

I think Fernandez, Turner, Alvarez, and Eovaldi are obviously locks, but I think they go with either Heaney, Conley, or Flynn depending on who looks the most ready in spring. I believe the front office realizes Koehler isn't a quality number 5 guy, he is a long relief kind of guy if he is gonna be in the big leagues.

I agree on both accounts, this is just as it stands. If they acquire a third baseman then Dietrich will probably end up in New Orleans. Koehler has had flashes of brilliance and would be just fine as the fifth starter, but I do agree that we have better options internally that are just about major league ready. So if Flynn, for example, were to wind up being the fifth starter, then Koehler goes to the pen and that leaves just one roster spot left available... I was probably thinking it at this point it belongs to Hatcher.

I agree on both accounts, this is just as it stands. If they acquire a third baseman then Dietrich will probably end up in New Orleans. Koehler has had flashes of brilliance and would be just fine as the fifth starter, but I do agree that we have better options internally that are just about major league ready. So if Flynn, for example, were to wind up being the fifth starter, then Koehler goes to the pen and that leaves just one roster spot left available... I was probably thinking it at this point it belongs to Hatcher.

Wittgren hopefully. Im incredibly high on him, think he's gonna be a stud.

Caminero is gonna get one of those available bullpen slots.

Please get rid of Greg fucking Wes Helms Dobbs.

Caminero will certainly compete for a spot. I would say he's just as much a lock as Hatcher, which means he is no guarantee, lol.

Im not worried about Koehler being the 5th starter. What im more concerned about is Turner our 4th starter I think hes gotten worst. I would try to find a replacement for Turner so he can start in the minors.

I really don't disagree with you. I am very surprised the Marlins didn't try and pair him with LoMo to acquire a real hitter like Trumbo.

I don't think you will see Solano Dobbs and Dietrich all on the team at once. 2/3 only needed IMO. I think they sign a 3b, start Dietrich in the minors and then bring him up later in the year when his bat develops more.

I think Fernandez, Turner, Alvarez, and Eovaldi are obviously locks, but I think they go with either Heaney, Conley, or Flynn depending on who looks the most ready in spring. I believe the front office realizes Koehler isn't a quality number 5 guy, he is a long relief kind of guy if he is gonna be in the big leagues.

Why is Koehler everyone's whipping boy?

Koehler as a 5th starter was fine last season in comparison with other 5th starters he actually was maybe one of the best

Caminero is gonna get one of those available bullpen slots.

Please get rid of Greg fucking Wes Helms Dobbs.

Caminero will certainly compete for a spot. I would say he's just as much a lock as Hatcher, which means he is no guarantee, lol.

Im not worried about Koehler being the 5th starter. What im more concerned about is Turner our 4th starter I think hes gotten worst. I would try to find a replacement for Turner so he can start in the minors.

I really don't disagree with you. I am very surprised the Marlins didn't try and pair him with LoMo to acquire a real hitter like Trumbo.

Caminero has a much better shot than Hatcher of making the team. As a matter of fact, unless he's just absolutely awful in Spring Training, Caminero is pretty much a lock to make the team.

unless I'm mistaken, Hatcher got lit up pretty much every single time they called him up. I don't think he makes the pen.

wonder if they'll give Hand one last look in the rotation since it'll probably be his last window. It'll of course be Heaney before long, if not right out of spring training.

I'd bet initially it's Heaney AA/AAA, Koehler in the pen, 5th spot goes to whichever of Flynn or Hand wins it in the spring.

Not so sure Turner opens the season in the rotation ...Last year he became the weak spot of the rotation, If Heaney is to claim a rotation spot it would be Turner's. Koehler may go in long relief but not because he did anything last season to lose his job as a starter but because someone like Flynn, Hand or Urena flat out wins the job in ST

BTW the Marlins would not keep Heaney on the Roster to pitch out of the Bullpen they would want him pitching every 5th day in either Jacksonville or New Orleans...(Most likely with his phone on speed dial for a quick call-up)

Keep an eye on Angel Sanchez, we might start hearing his name quite a bit through ST

Dan Jennings needs to flat out tell Loria that they need to get Dobbs off the roster. It's just a waste of a spot at this point, some other team can probably use him somewhere. Lucas is at least somewhat adequate at backup corner IF and Solano has up the middle. Just give Mathis the stupid veteran leader crown for a while. Go get a decent right-handed pinch hitter.

Dan Jennings needs to flat out tell Loria that they need to get Dobbs off the roster. It's just a waste of a spot at this point, some other team can probably use him somewhere. Lucas is at least somewhat adequate at backup corner IF and Solano has up the middle. Just give Mathis the stupid veteran leader crown for a while. Go get a decent right-handed pinch hitter.

They gave Dobbs that stupid 2 year extension last year, so they would have to eat his contract if they did that. I guarantee you couldn't trade him with that salary.

unless I'm mistaken, Hatcher got lit up pretty much every single time they called him up. I don't think he makes the pen.

wonder if they'll give Hand one last look in the rotation since it'll probably be his last window. It'll of course be Heaney before long, if not right out of spring training.

I'd bet initially it's Heaney AA/AAA, Koehler in the pen, 5th spot goes to whichever of Flynn or Hand wins it in the spring.

Hatcher would get one appearance and then get sent down. He's never really gotten a chance. His last two years in the PCL he's been fine, I believe he was our only All-Star in New Orleans last year, actually. I guess Caminero probably has the advantage, but I would be surprised if Hatch isn't the first RHP recalled due to injury or performance issues.

I would be very surprised to see Heaney open the season with the big league club, simply because there's so many options ahead of him. As you mentioned, Flynn and Hand are the more viable left-handed candidates to make the rotation out of ST. Before September I would have thought Flynn was a lock, but based on how they both pitched in the majors that last month, Hand put his name in that conversation again IMO.

They need to stop rushing our prospects. Give Heaney another year in the minors and have him move through the system like he'd do in a good organization. This is ridiculous. There's little benefit in having us lose a year of club control because we want to win 75 games instead of 71 (which would net us a lower slot in the draft anyway..)

They need to stop rushing our prospects. Give Heaney another year in the minors and have him move through the system like he'd do in a good organization. This is ridiculous. There's little benefit in having us lose a year of club control because we want to win 75 games instead of 71 (which would net us a lower slot in the draft anyway..)

but jose fernandez!

I think the offseason is pretty much over for us now.

C- Saltalamacchia

1B- Jones

2B - Furcal

3B - Mcgehee

SS - Hech

LF - Yelich

CF - Ozuna

RF - Stanton

SP1 - Fernandez

SP2 - Eovaldi

SP3 - Alvarez

SP4 - Turner

SP5 - Koehler or cheap veteran

Closer - Cishek

Rest of the pen - Capps, Dunn, Ramos, Jennings, Caminero, young guy or cheap veteran