Jeff Baker + Greg Dobbs ? .080 Batting Average. Intangibles? Priceless.

SongInTheAir

I know you guys are probably going to take this with a grain of salt but I'm interning with Fox Sports and my boss has a lot of conversations with Dan Jennings as well as many of the coaches like Menechino and it looks like Dobbs is actually going to be released within the next couple of days to make room for Lucas.

I know you guys are probably going to take this with a grain of salt but I'm interning with Fox Sports and my boss has a lot of conversations with Dan Jennings as well as many of the coaches like Menechino and it looks like Dobbs is actually going to be released within the next couple of days to make room for Lucas.

... If this is true, I will love you.

The bad thing about releasing Dobbs is not having any left handed option off the bench. But if you're going to get rid of someone, I guess he's the guy.

Sucks because you know the second we release him and someone else signs him, he's going to have a .300 season. He's not as bad a hitter as the numbers suggest. Problem is he can't really play a position.

The bad thing about releasing Dobbs is not having any left handed option off the bench. But if you're going to get rid of someone, I guess he's the guy.

Sucks because you know the second we release him and someone else signs him, he's going to have a .300 season. He's not as bad a hitter as the numbers suggest. Problem is he can't really play a position.

There is no bad thing about releasing Dobbs. What about Dobbs numbers this year (or last) suggest he's not below replacement level and terrible all around?

What about Dobbs numbers this year (or last) suggest he's not below replacement level and terrible all around?

Well, keep in mind his WAR is taking into effect his defense, which sucks, considering he can't really play any position well. At least this year they've been smart enough to limit him to the batters box only. As a pinch hitter, the guy has put together a great career, and history suggests he will overcome his early struggles at the plate.

I agree, he is a below replacement level player. However, strictly as a pinch hitter, he's not as bad as he has looked and he'll contribute to another team if or when we release him.

Well, keep in mind his WAR is taking into effect his defense, which sucks, considering he can't really play any position well. At least this year they've been smart enough to limit him to the batters box only. As a pinch hitter, the guy has put together a great career, and history suggests he will overcome his early struggles at the plate.

I agree, he is a below replacement level player. However, strictly as a pinch hitter, he's not as bad as he has looked and he'll contribute to another team if or when we release him.

He's 35 years (turning 36 in July) and his production has been pretty bad for over a year now. The guy is toast, but if you'd like to make another bet where the $ goes to the site, then I would be more than happy to take the Dobbs will never be productive in mlb again side.

It's like you go out of your way to say dumb things. He had an awful year at the plate last year and has been terrible thus far in 2014.

He put up a .548 OPS as a pinch hitter last season, which is worse than his line as a starter. The bat is nonexistent and while I won't rule out another team picking him up in some capacity, he has nothing to contribute.

You also have the WAR thing completely wrong. UZR rated him as a slightly plus defender last season, which means that his below replacement level status is purely because of his bat.

well looks like you were right

It's like you go out of your way to say dumb things. He had an awful year at the plate last year and has been terrible thus far in 2014.

He put up a .548 OPS as a pinch hitter last season, which is worse than his line as a starter. The bat is nonexistent and while I won't rule out another team picking him up in some capacity, he has nothing to contribute.

You also have the WAR thing completely wrong. UZR rated him as a slightly plus defender last season, which means that his below replacement level status is purely because of his bat.

But did you use your eyes to make this evaluation?

I love you.

As a pinch-hitter, Dobbs is a career .247/.304/.389 (.693 .OPS) hitter. That sucks and it's the only thing he does. Dobbs sucks. I would be surprised if another team even bothered to carry him on the 25-man roster. He should retire.